John Carpenters 1978 Halloween

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by megatronski, Sep 18, 2009.

1. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    this movie is truly awesome.
    agree?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I am now officiall dumber for having watched that.

Shame on you :throw 

3. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    please,don't let me hear that song again or else i will really wet again.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I see you changed the link to the legit Halloween Theme song. Really, you should post that parody you had initially. It was gut wretching and I hate sufferring alone.

5. megatronski

News Credits:
  6. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Funny, but I wouldn't want to watch it over again, the parody that is.

7. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My girlfriend is always trying to get me to watch Halloween and wants to take her to see the new one, but I can't stand Horror movies. She could watch them 24/7.

8. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard so many word that ended in Y in my life.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I appreciate the movie for what it is and does pretty well.
    But it isn't nearly as fascinating as The Fog or The Thing

Still, i'd rather watch a dub of Halloween in Turkish than a THX, super HD quality print of any recent horror movies like Saw, House of Wax, Jennifer's Body, Marley and Me, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past....

[i know, those last few aren't horror, just horrible.]

10. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Love this movie, probably my gfavorite horror movie. Myers FTW!

11. megatronski

News Credits:
    The rob zombie remakes suck in my opinion

12. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Oh let's PLEASE not get into that.
    Please?

Let's just discuss the original in this topic okay? I really don't feel like discussing the remake with anyone.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I much prefer the (generally hated and forgotten) sequel with the masks that would turn people's heads into piles of maggots and the like. THAT was freaky.

Micheal Myers, however, never really scared me. He's just a guy in a mask.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  14. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Yes, but Michael Myers was stabbed in the neck, had a coathanger go in his eye, was shot six times and fell off of a house. But he just got up and walked away.
    In the second movie, he was SHOT in both eyes, and set on fire. But in the fourth movie, he just escaped easily and went back to killing.

Michael Myers also has this...kind of presence, I dunno what to call it. But he was the first slasher to incorperate it. And now today, since that movie, almost every slasher has also used that theme that Michael Myers first used in Halloween. It's that Michael always seems to know where his prey is...and that he won't, he CAN'T be stopped until his hunt is finished.

That was what scared me. But it's also a testament as to why he's not just some guy in a mask. Leatherface was a guy in a mask. Michael Myers, as Lumis said, is pure evil.

15. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I agree, great film. Stands alone and out from the usual crowd of slasher films. Can't say the same for the remake.
    I love the way part 2 takes off from the end of 1, much like 'Hellraiser 1 & 2'.

16. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Hell yeah. Season of the Witch freaked me right out when I first saw that thing. Admittedly, I was way younger than the target audience, but whatever. Fine movie.

As for the other Halloween movies, they're pretty decent. I like Jason more, myself, but Michael's got his appeal. First couple were good as slasher movies, third one was just nuts, and the fourth, fifth, and...sixth, I think, all were kinda good as bad movies. I dug how they had a kinda sub-plot running all through those last few.

17. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Halloween is one of my all-time favorite movies. I recently showed it to my girlfriend for the first time and it really scared her. I think the key ingredient to the success of the original film is John Carpenter himself. He really creates a mood in his movies by the way they're lit and the way they're filmed. The suspense builds throughout the movie, as The Shape stalks Laurie Strode, all while that iconic score plays in the background. John Carpenter set out to make Michael Myers a force of evil, rather than just a killer in a mask and that's what sets him apart from the likes of Jason and Freddy and the rest.

Donald Pleasance is another great part of the original film. Ahab to Michael's Moby Dick, he's almost as nuts as Michael is.

The sequels are not all that great. Halloween II was ok, but it lacked all of the subtlety of the original, as well as Carpenter's direction. I ignore Halloween III: Season Of The Witch completely, since it has nothing to do with Michael Myers. I like Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers quite a bit, although it's weird that Haddonfield all of a sudden became a farm town. Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers is pretty bad all around, especially with the character of Tina, who is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen on screen. She couldn't die fast enough for me. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers had an interesting concept, with Druids behind Michael's evil, but the execution of the film was pretty bad. It's also Paul Rudd's movie debut. Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later was decent enough, but it unnecessarily wiped out movies 4, 5 and 6. This one had no less than 4 different masks on screen. That's just lame. The less said about Halloween: Resurrection, the better. I didn't mind Rob Zombie's remake too much, but I hated the fact that Michael came from a white trash family with an abusive step-father. I don't know why all of his films deal with white trash people, but it didn't work for me. I also hated that they explained why he is the way he is. Evil cannot be explained. It just is. Another problem I had with the film is that Michael went into the sanitarium a chubby little kid and walked out of it a 6'9" monster. What the hell kind of a gym do they have there? I haven't seen Zombie's Halloween II yet and it's gotten such bad reviews that I don't think I will.

I really wish William Shatner didn't have such a problem with them using his likeness as the basis for the Michael Myers mask. You can barely even tell that it looks like him. Anyway, none of the other masks have come close to how awesome the original is.

I agree with the statement someone made earlier about horror movies in crystal clear HD with perfectly executed computer-generated effects. Even on blu-ray, the original Halloween is still kind of grainy and I think that adds to the atmosphere of the film. It isn't scary when you can see everything.

18. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

The grain helps. 'horror movies in crystal clear HD with perfectly executed computer-generated effects' can work, but the focus on true suspense and good direction must be ten fold.
    Many films work wonderfully with their orginal grain - 'Robocop', 'Pumpkinhead' and 'JAWS' for example.

19. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

For what it's worth, I think that Carpenter directed the first "Halloween II".

Good lord, I can't believe I gotta say the first "Part II".

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Watched it a few years ago. One of the most tedious films I've ever sat through. I swear, horror film fans have standards I just don't understand.