Joel Schumacher & Batman

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OP84, Apr 28, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

You know what? I'm tired of people blaming Joel Schumacher for Batman & Robin considering he isn't the only one who is responsible for making the movie a load of garbage. But let's take a step back, Schumacher never wanted to make Batman Forever, he wanted to make a prequel/reboot in the form of Batman: Year One (a project that was later picked up by Warner Bros. with Darren Aronofsky at the helm). Another thing I hate is the fact that some ignorant and idiotic fanboys blame Schumacher's homosexuality for the reason why Batman and Robin had nipples on their costumes. Now I have no doubt that Schumacher felt that he should bring an "erotic" factor to the costumes considering most superheroes are displayed with "perfect" bodies but has anyone ever considered Bryan Singer? He's openly gay yet hasn't put nipples on the suits of any male member of the X-Men or Superman.

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    First off, Singer is a much better director than Schumbacher. They shouldn't even be mentioned together.

The second is because the story was shit, the costumes were bad, the camera work was bad, the dialogue was bad, everything was bad. It wasn't all his fault, but it mostly was. And it doesn't matter if he wanted to do a reboot. He didn't get to, and did a shit job with the movie he was told to make.

3. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I was referring to the fact that some fans keep blaming Schumacher's sexual orientation as to why the Batsuits have nipples when Singer is also gay.

And you don't think it could've been for the same reason as to why Sam Raimi probably screwed up Venom in Spider-Man 3? I think a possible reason is that he (Schumacher) wanted to do Batman: Year One and purposely made Batman & Robin as crappy as possible (Batman Forever was alright) in order to get back at Warner Bros. for not letting him make the Batman movie he wanted to make, not the one he didn't want to make.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    But saying that Singer is openly gay and didn't make his suits anatomically correct (no nipples) means that Schumacher isn't as smart as Singer. It might not be because he's gay, but because he isn't a good director like Singer. Or they had a really stupid costume designer on the movie. Whatever. This side of the argument is relatively pointless. Singer didn't screw up like Schumacher did.

Okay, fine, he got back at them, but that doesn't make the movie better, and you can't blame anyone else for the bad film except him at that point. Just because the film might have been made to be purposefully bad does not mean it is good. It just means its bad.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wish Schumacher got to make the Batman film he wanted and not what W.B wanted. :( 

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I had no issue with Shumacher's nipples or codpieces. What I took issue with was the following:

Incidentally, Peter David's novelization of Batman Forever is one of the best Batman books I've ever read.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Out of sheer curiosity, is the only reason you even post here is because of the fact there's a movie section? I can't recall you ever even making a thread in the main TF sections that wasn't related to at least the Transformers movies or your live action reboot ideas, but you make lots of threads about other things almost exclusively in the movie section. Such as this, where people are complaining about some dude from a movie that stopped being relevant years ago.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I fucking love Batman and Robin. Haters can hate all they want.

And Schumacher is a great director. 8mm was amazing.

9. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

My words exactly.

Not exactly. It's a long story.