Joe Quesada out as EIC Axel Alonso in

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Yay! Quesada finally leaves that job that cause a majority of Marvel to suffer.

I hope Mr. Alonso does a good job as EIC unlike his predecessor.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

[​IMG]

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Bring on the OMD retcon and Logan getting his pack of smokes back.

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Now all we need is for DC to get rid of Didio and all will be right with the world.

6. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

This. So much this.

7. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    heres hoping they drop every book to $2.99 like DC did

8. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    YES! Oh thank whoever did this now if they fired him straight out that be better!

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Technically Didio isn't EiC anymore either. Bob Harras will be handling that for DC while Didio, Johns, and Lee operate at a higher level. I'm assuming Quesada will still have his fingers in all of Marvel's pies, too.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The old school comic fan in me is quietly screaming "about time," but the adult in me just doesn't care anymore. Business will continue as usual, so why really cheer.

11. Red Snarl

Red Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I would love to see this happen ASAP I think its going to be a while, a few years at the very least, before it dose. I hope I'm wrong though and that it happens sooner.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Pretty much this, the same people are still at the top of the food chain and I still don't see much indication of a viable post-DM strategy.

Not that it really matters much to me at this point, theres been about 3 Marvel titles that i've wanted to read in as many years and theres no shortage of good product elsewhere.

13. kingjace

kingjace Well-Known Member

So long as Q still has his hand in that cookie jar, I don't think anything will change much. I also like his new title, cuz you know, creative describes him very well.

14. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't understand the Quesada hate AT ALL...sure he's done some stuff I don't care for, but I think he's the most important EIC that Marvel has had since Stan Lee. I didn't care much for OMD, but I think Brand New Day gave us some of the best Spider-Man stories in AT LEAST a decade. I think Ed Brubaker has taken 2 characters who I could've cared less about (Daredevil and Captain America) and made them some of my favorites. I think Matt Fraction is the best X-Men writer since Joss Whedon....so tell me again why Quesada sucks so bad??!!

15. Switchblade

News Credits:
    People dislike Quesada because of the heavyhanded way in which he imposed his editorial edicts on the various branches of Marvel comics. The biggest ones - House of M, Civil War, and One More Day - were all blatant attempts to cycle Marvel back to the 60s and 70s, which may be fine for nostalgic older readers but was really off-putting to newer ones, especially those who started reading comics with the big 90s era X-Men or the married Spidey. The fact that most of these stories relied on half-assed plot devices or out of character stupidity didn't help.

He was also responsible for promoting Brian Michael Bendis into the highest non-editorial position at Marvel, which helped lead to the mid-00 wave of "decompressed" comics and the habit of writing stories that are paced for a trade collection and not for serial publication (a practice in which Bendis and Whedon were by far the worst offenders). Quesada also reigned over the introduction of "celebrity writers" like Joss Whedon who were allowed to ignore continuity and deadlines because non-comic book readers had heard of them.

So yeah, some of his policies and choices turned out okay, but there were a lot of high profile ones that really frustrated and, in some cases, outraged a lot of readers. I won't deny that Quesada had one of the more monumental runs as EiC, probably only third behind Lee and Shooter, but at the same time he generated a lot of ill will with the readers.

16. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See that's when I started reading comics hardcore...the early '90...and I liked Civil War (except that I thought the last issue was rushed). As for Whedon...I think he is easily the X-Men's best writer EVER...even above Chris Claremont (who I love, but not as much.) I think the deadlines are a problem to some degree. Astonishing X-Men ran pretty regularly every two months as it was supposed to with Whedon...it got bad with Warren Ellis...but I think they went too far in letting Kevin Smith and Damon Lindeloff delay as much as they did.

17. Switchblade

News Credits:
    No, it didn't, actually. Whedon's X-Men (which I find incredibly overrated, but I've gone over that in another thread and don't feel like getting into it again) shipped about four issues a year for most of its run. It was not unusual for 4-5 months to pas between issues, which, when coupled with the slow-paced decompressed storytelling, really dragged the book down. You'd wait five months for the next issue and it would be the middle of a fight scene with some witty dialogue and it wouldn't even take five full minutes to read.

18. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I agree that Quesada was a very important EIC for Marvel. While I haven't liked all the decisions he made, I can't denied that he was willing to take some risks and many of them paid off. While OMD seems like a slap to the face for Spidey fans everywhere, he got together some real talent for BND which made the character relelvant again. The Ultimate line was a lot of fun in the beginning. Whedon's X-Men was a nice ride with good chracterization (I read it when it finished in trade format so the delays didn't bother me). An Civil War drummed up some real excitement among even non-comic book fans. He was controversial, but he kept things unpredictable.

19. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That is Very Good Very Good News, maybe Axel should rid Joe's "Spidey sell his marriage to the Devil" crap,and bring Spidey as a Born-Again Christian and remarrying Mary Jane.

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, I'm a big Whedon fan too, I like most everything he's done with exception of dollhouse and some other stuff.
    The thing is though:
    Joss's run on x-men was what like 25 issues and a special
    It took him from July 2004 to July 2008.
    It took him four years to tell 1 single story that should have took 2 years.
    Thats just pathetic.
    Whedon writes excellent dialogue.
    He writes exceptionally average comics

The fact that Joe Q put guys like him and bendis on a pedestal is why i wont miss him