Joe Calzaghe vs Peter Manfredo Jr!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Apr 7, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Manfredo won the Contender, recokns he Rocky.

Manfredo 26-3 (12 KO)
    Calzaghe 42-0 (31 KOs)

Ouch. I don't fancy those odds.

Its back on now, gonna go watch.

2. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    And its all over. 3rd round TKO.

Manfredo got pwned.

He was giving a lot of pre match gusto as well... (well they ALL do) but Calzaghe won 42, no losses, Manfredo has won 26 lost 3... anyway, it was all over going in to the 3rd round, Calzaghe went in after feeling him out in the first 2 rounds.

Boo. Over far too soon.

And Calzaghe hardly got a chance to get started... boo!

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No idea who the American bloke was, but it looked like nobody told him that he was supposed to defend and/or fight back.

I'll agree with the pundits on the fact that the ref stopped it a bit too early, but only because I wanted to see Calzaghe beat him senseless some more.

4. helix

helix Well-Known Member

joe kicked his ass!

good ol' welsh boy.

manfredo looked a chump

5. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Peter Manfredo was in the US reality boxing show, hosted by none other than Sly Stallone himself. The format is simple, get a bunch of Pro fighters, throw them into a training camp and fight each other each week to victory.

Manfredo was out in the 1st episode, and got back into the show mid way through the series, and eventually lasted to the final. (He didn't win though apparently).

So thats where he's from, so he's quite big in America. Calzaghe is practically unknown in the US. What I like most was the fact that Manfredo (post fight) was still quite confident, and was claiming that Calzaghe didn't hit that hard...

Which was true... because Calzaghe wasn't given the chance to open up on him... I think Manfredo was lucky the fight was over so soon to be honest.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Sounds like that dude is somesort of professional cannon fodder, I wouldent have thought that losing a reality show is an adequete qualification for getting title fights.

Hopefully Warren will succeed in getting one of the decent American fighters for Calzaghe's next match. As much as I like to watch a good beating, I prefer it to last for more then about 5 minuites. It'd be nice to see Amir Khan get somebody who is going to make him earn his money as well.

7. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Amir Khan scares me.

Apparently Manfredo has been making an impact in the US, although that could just do with his profile due to the TV show. Apparently he's won enough to warrent this title fight, but there was a lot of pre match talk that perhaps this was too much of a step up for him.

Which obviously turned out to be true. I think Calzaghe took this fight to boost his profile in America, so he can get the attention of those US fighters who don't want to fight/know about him.