JMS Amazing Spiderman Question

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payres, Mar 2, 2007.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When's JMS last issue of Amazing Spiderman ?

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    its coming soon...i believe its the last issue of the one more day story arc, which will start in august, IIRC.....

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yea, "One More Day" should be his last story. Apparently it is rumored to branch from the Amazing 500 story of Spidey seeing himself in the future.

Personalyl I'll be sad to see JMS leave. He has done some really off the wall Spidey stuff, and it's been interesting. The Spider Totem idea was a total midscrew and not just Spidey vs the Goblin again. He took Spidey in a new and different direction which the character definately needed.

4. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I read the first arc that introduced the Spider Totem idea, but sadly got out of the loop of comics. Can someone explain what it's all about? Feel free to do as many spoilers as you'd like.

5. Wreckgar

Basically this guynamed Ezekiel made Peter question if the Spider gave Peter his powers or Peter already had the powers and the Spider awoke them. Ezekiel had the same powers as Pete and Pete was the next in the Spider Totem lineage.

We later discover that Ezekeil was fucknuts and was out to use Peter for some grand purpose. I can't remember though.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

JMS's run has been fairly well done so far.

My only complaint, and it's a big one, was that f-ing "Gwen's Kids" arc. Dude must have been smoking some major shit to think that was a good idea.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Personally, I think his stuff has just sucked.
    New ideas?
    How many times has Peter been turned into a spider monster and been reborn from that?

New Powers?
    Stingers? When did spiders have stingers?
    Being reborn from a cacoon? Is that a spider or a moth that does that?

What about when Peter was dying from that -whatever, it ended up not mattering because Morlun nearly killed him until he turned into the aforementioned spider beast.
    Dr. Strange is like "You're dying, can't help you -bye".
    Reed Richards is like "You're dying, can't help you -bye".
    Spot on characterizations of the greatest wizard and the greatest scientist in the Marvel Universe. "Yeah, I would get on that dying thing, but I'm busy."

Then, Morlun beats him to a pulp (and eats his eye!) and all the heroes in New York can do is take him to a regular hospital and leave him unguarded so he can be attacked again.

What and also ever.

JMS needs to write for Thor , Dr. Strange, or Ghost Rider and leave all this mystic plot (hole) structure out of Spiderman.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I like the magic/mystical angle to Spidey. I also like that he has new powers. The stingers are a cool idea. And truth be told, I kinda liked the Iron Spidey costume, too. Being able to handle getting hit by bullets is good for a guy like Spidey.

9. Wreckgar

No new powers would ever be able to top Scarlet Spidey's "Impact Webbing" or "Stingers". Those were really cool.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm closed minded, but I just can't accept it.
    I am not against new powers per se, but to retcon a 30 year old origin that he was always a Spider Totem -no. It was a scientific anomaly. Remember the song: "he's got radioactive blood"? Peter Parker is a scientist.
    Scientific origin.

A Spider Totem? Whatever.
    What about the Tarantula then?
    What about Jessica Drew?
    Are they Spider Totems?

Is Wolverine a Badger Totem then?
    What about that Armadillo guy?

Plus, to have this stable of great villains who have been repeatedly defeated by Spider-man sit idly by while some unknown Goth dude in a trenchcoat with flared cuffs kills him is a complete waste. This guy just shows up, and because of some alteration to 30 years of continuity he can do what the Green Goblin never could.

I respect your opinions about liking the story, but I am voicing my opinions of why I don't. To me, this whole "Other" arc is the equivalent of DC's Superman Red\Blue.

We are in agreement on the Iron Spider. That is an awesome upgrade for Spidey.
    Too bad he split with Tony Stark.

11. Wreckgar

I think the Spider-Totem was awesome because it actually changed the view on Spidey. People always just accepted that the spider gave Peter the power. But maybe he always had the power and the Spider awakened it. They tried dealing the "Spidey is a mutant" card before but failed miserably. This time, it actually made sense and got people interested.

And that's the key to comics. Do things that get people talking. People didn't like the "Sins of the Past" arc at all but goddamn if people weren't talking about it for months. People are always going to like or dislike something. The key to to make sure they notice. "There is no such thing as bad publicity" and all that.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I think you're taking the totem thing a little too literally. I viewed it as more of a "philosphy" rather than "ur magix dude".

Ezekiel got Peter to actually use his brain regarding his powers, because, you know, he is a low level genius yet still manages to be as dumb as a brick. And some of the issues where he does that are great, the one that springs to mind is where he rescues the kid from the collapsed building. It was awesome.

13. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

The way I read & understand the totem aspect of Spidey isn't that the radioactive/genetically-altered spider-bite didn't matter...it's that it wasn't an accident. He was selected by the Powers That Be as a defender of humanity. Really, in a universe populated by people like Dr. Strange, the Silver Surfer, Thor, Hercules, etc, it's not that much of a stretch.

As for Morlun...well, the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and Venom are powerful, but they're not demons. Morlun is a class above, you might say.

As for Peter's intelligence - I recently picked up a great book called "Spider-Man & Human Torch: I'm With Stupid," during which Reed Richards states that Peter's IQ tests as high as his did at a comparable age.

14. Wreckgar

Spekko also reminded me of something else. They made mention that all of Spiderman's villains are animal in nature. Rhino, Vulture, Octopus, Chamelion, Tarantula, etc. Why is that? (yea we know they didn't think that hard back when but to justify it in comics, it's interesting)

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Also, the last scene of the Ezicial arc was basically saying that it doesn't matter how Peter got his powers. It was something along the lines of:

"The sun will rise tomorrow. You can tell me all the scientific laws that will make it so. I say it will rise because it is meant too. Does it matter which of is right?"

"....No, I suppose it doesn't."

So, it's really open-ended. If you like the classic Spidey origin, go with that (Peter probably did). If you like JMS's new take, that's good too.

And part of the problem with the Other story was that there were three writiers, and according to interveiws, they didn't have the best communication.

16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

"Sins of the Past" and "The Other" were to stories of his I really didn't like of his. The Spider Totem stuff JMS started was pretty interesting, but "The Other" just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Dieing for no reason then getting beaten to death anyway. Reborn with new powers, but powers like spider stingers that spider's don't actually have. I think Spidey has only used those one or twice after that story. And Sins... I don't believe Gwen would ever have kids with Osborn. He's old enough to be her dad, is the dad of one of her friends and she's completely in love with Peter. So while he told some great stories he also told some stories I really hated. I'm not all that sad to see him leave Spidey...

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Agreed, maybe I am taking the Totem thing too literally. But I think if he was a Totem all along, then characters like Puma would have seen him for what he was long ago.

However, on the comment that Morlun is a demon and thus more powerful than Spider-man’s other foes, where does it say that? We don’t know what Morlun really is. He doesn’t appear to have incredible powers other than the fact that he can beat Spidey up.
    I am sorry, but if you are going to kill my favorite hero, you have to explicitly say why the villain is powerful enough to do so.
    Show bullets bouncing off him; show him taking down other heroes on his way to Spider-man; show Spider-man weakened by the very presence of the villain. Something!

This guy just shows up and says “You are a Totem, I eat Totems”.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The thing about the other villains is that they are part of Spider-Man. They can't kill him, they can plot and scheme and come up with plans to do so, but they never will. Why? Because without him... they're nothing. The Marvel Knights Spider-Man run sums this up absoloutely beautifully. One of my favourite Spider-Man arcs of all time, just for the letter Norman writes Peter. Fucking -genius-.

Morlun was just... a badass. A 2 dimensional badass, but one that didn't need Spider-Man to be somebody.

19. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

It doesn't come right out and say that Morlun is a demon, no. But I think it's a good approximation. Read his Wikipedia entry and see what you think.

As for the stingers, reading up on spiders @ Wikipedia seems to indicate that almost every known species of spider have the ability to inject venom into prey. Since it's rather impractical for Spidey to bite foes, the stingers seem to make sense.

20. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Spider-Man 2099 had fangs to inject 'prey' with venom should he choose to bite someone. It didn't seem all that impractical for him. Not that he used his venom all that often but Spidey never uses his stingers either. Why should Spidey even need them? He's done pretty good with just beating up the foes and leaving them tied up in webbing.