Jetwing Prime or Buster Prime with Jet Fire pack (DOTM version)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jyu501, May 17, 2012.

1. jyu501

jyu501 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I would love to know what you guys think about these two choices. I am comparing the two and I am having a hard time to decide which one to get as each one has its pros and cons.

Jetwing - The screen accurate Jetpack, new accurate abs for Optimus, $80 cheaper than Buster Prime pack (where I am getting it anyway)

Buster - Chrome, awesome paint aps. Nice vehicle mode. You get two figures in this (Optimus Prime and Jet Fire)

There it is guys...please let me know your opinion, and I am not interested in Striker Prime, so if you were thinking about suggesting that, thanks but no thanks ^^

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Stri....alright, sorry ;) 

I have TakTom version of Buster (no faceplate version) and Jetwing. Love them both, but if I had to keep only one I'd choose Jetwing. Optimus himself has rather bland paint apps, but he is actually a playable toy, where I had a problem with Optimus/Jetfire combo. Nice to look at, but not much else.

I'm not very fond of Jetfire figure so I guess I'm biased. Having said that you won't be sorry with either choice :D 

3. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I'd give my left leg to have the Striker. My left middle finger for the Buster, and the pinky for the Jetwing.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Buster. No question for me. The Jetwing didn't interest me at all because the Optimus looked so bland.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Buster for display only because he has the chrome parts and on his feet and if you drag him in robot mode you might scratch the chrome.

Jetting or striker for play. Less paint apps = less chance or scratching but it still looks better than hasbro editions.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both and I actually prefer 'jet wing'. Go for the jet fire combo only if you want the character.

Striker Optimus + the Japan TRU exclusive swords is my all-time fave movie Optimus toy. I find both the Jet Wing and Buster combo too "bulky"! LOL!

7. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Jetwing Backpack IMHO. Have you seen how long the the wingspan on that thing is?!

8. beangrower

beangrower Well-Known Member

if u like displaying...buster / jetfire...if u like playing with jetwing.

[​IMG]
    this is just overboard. lol.

9. Duwian

Duwian Wants FoC EVERYTHING

That's freaking awesome.

But, IMO, get the Buster/Jetfire, and just be careful. I found the Jetwing too innacurate and almost silly looking IMO, whereas Buster is shiny, had movie accurate guns, and comes with Jetfire.

10. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Jetwing is big but a bit drab.

Last I looked it wasn't appreciating like Buster.

Buster first. Jetwing later.

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I have literally every version of ROTF Leader Prime (see my collections thread), and I will say hands down that Buster is the best version of the mold. Jetwing is nice with the new parts, but Buster dominates with the paint apps, chrome and the Buster gun.

12. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Very tough choice. Both will be even more expensive later on when they finish restocking. The Buster/Jetfire pack is much more limited IMO compared to Jetwing. I myself will be trying to purchase another one ASAP before they are sold out. FYI if you try and buy a Buster prime on its own on ebay you will be paying MUCH more than either of the 2 you are looking to purchase. That should be a hint as to what to get :wink: 

13. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to agree.

I would also mention that if they'd pulled out all the stops on Striker Prime, he'd be nicer than Buster (meaning chrome, pin stripe, etc). He's actually done in a better color palette than Buster. But those extras really put Buster over.

Jet wing has neither the extras or the color palette, making him the weakest of the three.

14. froggy124

froggy124 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was keeping a tally of everyones reply, except where poepl mentioned both (display and play purpose replies).

Jetwing=3
    Buster=7

If I had to choose between the 2, then Buster me up too. To me he is THE difinitive MOVIE Optimus Prime transforming figure.

So if you count my vote too its 8 for Buster.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If they had even only done the pin-striping on Striker, that might almost put it out ahead for me, even without the silver and chrome.

My ideal Optimus would be Buster with the silver paint apps and the pin-striping, but the darker red and blue of Striker.

16. jyu501

jyu501 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your replies and great suggestions! I would love it if Jetwing came with chrome and lovely paint jobs, then I wouldnt have to think so hard on this. Hence, I agree with all you guys who mentioned the fact that Buster looks great and somewhat superior comparing to the others because of its amazing paint aps. If this was on Jetwing, then that really would make my day. However, I do custom paints on machinery parts, therefore, maybe Jetwing with custom would work?! hmmm...decisions~ decisions~

PS. Do Buster and Jetwing have the same face-mask!?

17. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    The Buster that shipped with Jetfire has a faceplate. The one that shipped on it's own has an exposed mouth, like the leader Prime with the hooks.

Personally, i much prefer the one that was shipped with Jetfire.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I have seen people do nice looking paint jobs on the generic RotF Leader Prime. So if you have skill in that area, you may in fact want to go for the cheaper figure.

But hand pin-striping would be a bitch-and-a-half to do even halfway decently. My serious advice would be to try to see both figures in person before making a decision to try to customize Leader Prime. It's really hard to take in exactly how much the pin-striping does add to the overall look of the toy, without seeing it in person.

19. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hard to say. I just got the DOTM Buster Prime and Jetfire version and was really impressed by the chrome and paint job on Buster. As others have said before, though, he's definitely more display piece than toy (unless you don't mind possibly scratching up the chrome and said paint job during play). He's also pricy but you get two figures out of the deal (Jetfire is cool but I'm keeping both him and Buster in alt modes).

Jetwing Prime I got as a Christmas/birthday present from the wife and is really impressive in bot mode all loaded up. He's a definite head turner on a display shelf, and has a bit more playability given that he's not chromed or painted (much) up. The jetpack is, however, painted up in silver and can get scratched. His guns are huge, and all combined, he takes up a lot of shelf real estate (then again, so does Jetfire in alt mode). He just dominates my Bayverse collection since he's the centerpiece of it.

Striker Prime is my playable OP; all his weapons (free battle blades FTW) and accessories are just plain fun in their various configurations, and I really dig his darker, more bad ass plastic color scheme despite the lack of paint.

In the end, it just depends on your budget and what you want to do with the figures; display, play, or both?

20. jyu501

jyu501 Well-Known Member

Thanks SouthtownKid and Timesynch. After reading your suggestions really helped a lot. I am now thinking to go for Jetwing for the play, and DMK-01 for display, what do you think guys?

P.S. About pin-striping, how do people usually do it? I am pretty familiar and decent at doing the weathering or machinery drybrushing techniques. But not sure about pin-striping =='