2D Artwork: Jetwing Prime mods

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Big Hache, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Big Hache

Big Hache Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Big Hache's Shapeways Thread

Greetings,

I wanted to share sketches for some mods I'm doing for my Jetwing Prime. I bypassed the previous movie release Prime's and liked what I saw on this product. It has really great features and then I feel lacks in areas.

Here's a list of what I'm attempting to accomplish:

• Replace smoke stacks
    • Create swords
    • Create custom head with transforming face plate
    • Transforming left forearm with brass knuckles
    • Create custom transforming trailer
    • Paint job

I'd like to do some chrome work on this Prime and the rubber stacks just don't work for that. I measured them with my digital caliper and modeled them in Lightwave 3D. They're off to Shapeways now for production.

I tried a simple approach for the swords. I made use of the MechTech ports on Prime's forearms. They're in production at Shapeways now so I'll see how the fit is once those come in.

For the head, I took cue from the Human Alliance Roadbuster with his fliptop head and sunglasses. I thought something similar could be done to have a flip-out face plate for Prime.

I've been mulling and mulling over the trailer, it's quite a task. Still trying to see what the best solution is.

That's it for now!

Attached Files:

2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Neat drawings.

3. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Thanks! They're just some roughs to get ideas down as I'll be modeling it in 3D.

Here are some updates on the trailer modeling. The first image are some details that I have somewhat fleshed out overall. Image 07 is a detail of the trailer door hinge and exterior quilting pattern. Image 08 is a detail of the hinge on the interior side paneling for them to fold apart. You can see the side panel seems in image 06.

I forgot to put on my list Optimus' gun from the movie. The gas tank gun is okay, but I think it's a little weird and since I want to chrome the tanks I don't think I'll want to transform them too much.

Attached Files:

4. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    Simply put, please make those smoke stacks avalible! I'd love to replace the ones on my ROTF Leader Prime!

5. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Thanks for the interest. I do plan to make them available after I get the first test print. Even though I measured the existing ones, I want to test the fit before I pass it on to anyone else. I had them printed in WSF polished but the tabs at the base were too close together for that material. They said the FUD would be the only material that file would print with. You can see in the photo they sent me the tabs are closed in with material.

Got more done on the hinges for the side panels of the trailer. I did a test upload to Shapeways and one panel came out to be about $24 with WSF. That's a bit much and I'll need to see what I can do to hollow out/thin some pieces so they use less material.

Since this is Optimus' weapons cache, I've put 3 MechTech ports on each panel. With 4 panels on each side that's 24 MechTech ports!

Attached Files:

6. knyghtmare2021

News Credits:
    ...that's gonna be one EXPENSIVE trailer... but most like also gonna be AWESOME! Definately looking forward to the new smoke stacks. Might also be interested in new swords, since I removed the ones on my prime to improve articulation. Gun too lol

7. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Hmm, I don't have the ROTF Optimus and the swords I modeled use the MechTech ports which I think only this Prime has. I'd have to think on that one.

Yeah, it's too expensive at the moment, I gotta cut down the material. Just for the panels it would be over $200.

I'm going to have the panels become the arch. I tried to create arms that sit in the trailer but then the problem became where to hide the panels. I thought the route this guy took worked pretty well so I decided to adapt it.

Worst case scenario if I can't get the cost down enough I'll adapt this toy I picked up at Toys 'R Us, a 1:32 Mighty Haulers tractor and trailer. Optimus is slightly smaller than 1:32, but it's hardly noticeable.

Attached Files:

8. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Finally got the tires done and I think I'm happy with them. They match Optimus' rear wheels and should look good when printed. I do need to cut holes in the hubs but I'll attack that when I figure out how I want to secure them to the rig.

Attached Files:

9. knyghtmare2021

News Credits:
    Ok, you've seriously got my interest piqued. if you can get everything into one set, it would be the perfect upgrade to ROTF/DOTM Leader Prime. As cool as the jetpack was, screw that, I want a weapons platform!

On the swords, just include an optional handle, since that's how he holds them in DOTM.

Oooooh. Are you gonna make the ax too?

10. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Thanks for the interest, it helps motivate me to finish. My plan at the moment is to create sheets of sprues like you'd find in a model set. I don't know how many sheets but I think it would be unrealistic to get everything on one.

That's a good idea on the sword hilt. He starts out not holding them but then they kinda slide over to his hands.

I had forgotten about the ax too. I'd like to model that, it's really hard to get good screen shots of it.

I should mock up screen shot of what my plan is in my head for this weapon platform. Currently I'm leaving the bed of the trailer as the base and leaving the wheels on the ground. It's the most simple solution I've come up with but I'm open to other thoughts. Again, it's figuring out where to put the kibble.

11. knyghtmare2021

News Credits:
    Actually, I like leaving the wheels of the trailer on the ground. It makes it possible for the platform to be mobile. My only suggestion would be a BFG somewhere on the platform, but that might be cost prohibitive.

12. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm going to do what I can to not add more to this beast. :) 

I decided to see if I can make the landing gear for the trailer actually work. After some research I learned how they function and have most of it modeled. It's not highly detailed like i might typically do for 3D modeling. I kept the final intent in mind so the gears and whatnot should at least hold up with Shapeways' FUD material.

Finally did a mock up to see how it would look transformed. I like it. Needs a lot of pieces to hold it in that shape. I made a double hinge along the side panels that I think I may need to abandon. I think when gravity gets a hold of it the many points of articulation will work to my disadvantage.

Attached Files:

13. knyghtmare2021

News Credits:
    I see what ya mean. With what you said in mind, would it be possible to take the number of side panels down from 4 to 3? I also think the trailer bed would look awesome with a hinge to angle the front most end down like a ramp. Sure, OP Could just step up. Bumblebee or Sideswipe? Not so much. Also, you might want to think about how this thing stays together as a trailer. I see no pegs or peg holes to hold the panels together in trailer mode.

14. Big Hache

News Credits:
    I don't think I want to do less panels. I don't want it to look like a stop sign. More circular, less angular. I can add bars that prevent the panels from rotating beyond a certain angle, and the exterior detail prevents them from bending the other way.

I do plan for hinging the trailer bed on the front and back, I just haven't spent much time on that yet. Same with the pegs. Thanks for the thoughts though! The trailer wheels will be on an assembly that simply rotate 180° to move them for the trailer hinge to bend down. The rear bumper will just fold up 90° into the trailer bed.

This render shows the details better.

Attached Files:

15. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Small update. I arranged the parts for the landing gear in a sprue tree and they're now ready to be sent to Shapeways for a test print. For anyone that may be interested in this project but not interested in this detail, I may make a non-functional landing gear similar to the Mighty Haulers toy I purchased.

Attached Files:

16. knyghtmare2021

News Credits:
    By non fuctional, do you mean a static piece? I think a simple hinged piece would be good for those not wanting the gears and whatnot. Just my :2c: 

17. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Yup, exactly that.

Decided to take a break from the trailer while I make some more decisions on it. Here's line art I created to build the 3D model for the ax.

Attached Files:

18. Big Hache

News Credits:
    Ok here's what I've done for leader class Optimus' ax from DOTM. This particular model fits the figures standard hands. The end of the handle comes off and has a peg that fits into the shaft of the handle.

I'm also going to do a version that fits Fakebusker's Optimus hands because he did a great job on them.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

19. knyghtmare2021

News Credits:
    WIN. Fakebuskers OP hands are awesome. I have them myself. Very glad your making a version of the ax that will work with those!

20. Big Hache

News Credits:
    OK sweet. I've been tweaking on this model for a bit. It's very large and uses quite a bit of material, therefore my test models I've uploaded to Shapeways have been pricey. I've been whittling down the material and I'm not sure I can remove more material.

This is an updated render for the standard hands. I think the FB hand version will only be one piece.

Edit: Here's the alternate version for FB's hands.

Attached Files: