Jets Fan sues Patriots!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kronos, Sep 29, 2007.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Jets ticket holder sues Patriots and coach Belichick, seeks damages of more than $184 million
    td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer
    September 28, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York Jets season-ticket holder filed a class-action lawsuit Friday against the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers."
    The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., by Carl Mayer of Princeton Township, N.J., stems from the Patriots being caught illegally videotaping signals from Jets coaches in New England's 38-14 season-opening win Sept. 9.
    "They violated the integrity of the game," Mayer's attorney, Bruce Afran, told The Associated Press. "This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots." Mayer is seeking more than $184 million in damages for Jets ticket holders.
    Belichick was fined $500,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and the team was fined $250,000 for violating a league rule that prohibits clubs from using a video camera on the sidelines for any purpose -- including recording signals relayed to opposing players on the field. New England also must forfeit a first-round draft pick next year if it makes the playoffs or a second- and third-rounder if it doesn't.
    "They were deceiving customers," said the 48-year-old Mayer. "You can't deceive customers."
    The lawsuit maintained that because other teams found illegal videotaping by the defendants, Jets ticket holders should be compensated for all games played in Giants Stadium between the Jets and Patriots since Belichick became head coach in 2000.
    The two calculated that because customers paid $61.6 million to watch eight "fraudulent" games, they're entitled to triple that amount -- or $184.8 million -- in compensation under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act and the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.
    "How many times have the Patriots done this? We find it hard to believe they did it just once," Mayer said. "We just want to get to the truth of the matter of what the Patriots did to the Jets. I think the ticket holders are genuinely concerned about it. This is a type of misrepresentation."
    Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to comment on the lawsuit.
    Mayer and Afran, who consider themselves public interest lawyers, have been thorns in the side of New Jersey politicians for years, filing lawsuits and demanding investigations to advance their grievances. They are well known in the state but generally have had little success in their causes.
    Both have lost bids for elected offices, and Mayer once served as a presidential campaign adviser to Ralph Nader.
    Their demand in March for a probe of Gov. Jon S. Corzine's gifts to a former girlfriend was rejected by a federal prosecutor. In 2006, a judge vetoed their effort to block Corzine's appointment of Rep. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., to fill the governor's seat in the U.S. Senate.
    They also failed to get a court to order a special election to replace Gov. James E. McGreevey when he resigned in 2004.
    Now, they're taking on the Patriots.
    Their latest lawsuit asserted that the secret videotaping violated the contractual "expectations and rights" of Jets ticket holders "to observe an honest match played in compliance with all laws and regulations."
    The actions of Belichick and the Patriots violated federal and state racketeering laws, as well as the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and New Jersey Deceptive Business Practices Act, according to the lawsuit. "Having been a lifelong Jets fan, as soon as I heard this, I was completely outraged," Mayer said. "The NFL just slapped them on the wrist. I'm a consumer lawyer, and this is consumer fraud." Associated Press Writer Jeffrey Gold in Newark, N.J., contributed to this report.

This all actually seems plausable!

2. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Maybe the Falcons fans will sue Michael Vick next. :lol 

3. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Wow, I've never heard of anyone suing a football team before. O__o

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    God bless the USA!

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

That's just stupid.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol 

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually hope they win. Belicheck and team deserved a far greater punishment than what they received. Some colleges have a code where if you get caught cheating, you get thrown out- or at least academic probation. Bill has to put off buying that condo in Hawaii another year, and his team loses a couple draft picks. I think they should have been banned from the playoffs this year, and Belicheck suspended for the season.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good grief. :lol 

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    :drunk 

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Meh,

I think it is dumb rule anyways. The teams could have 2 people doing the same things during the game and just writing down the plays and the corresponding signals.

Plus, the teams should be changing signals all the time anyways to throw off suspicion.

11. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Tee Hee, I think his lawsuit would have to be limited to the price of his tickets for games against the Patriots. What a fool, I suppose their cheating has caused him a lot of emotional suffering. And yeah I think Jourdo is right, only in America.

12. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

man, you could sue anyone these days. pats got deep pockets so i'm sure they'll settle outta court.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Indeed! :lol 

14. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

That has to be the most well thought out and logically deduced argument I have ever heard for a completely ridiculous lawsuit.

15. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

QFT :lol 

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

This is bullshit.

Next thing you know people will be suing their teams for being shitty.

17. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

good luck proving all the games were fraudulent.

And what about the Jets' D-line faking snap counts to induce false starts? I'm gonna sue Eric Mangina for that for a bazillion dollars, HA!

18. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    They should!