Jetfire's Macross Equal

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I am working on an epic where Jetfire helps the humans build up their technology to fight the decepticons.

For the project I want to pick up a few Valkyries from the Macross or Robotech lines. I know little about the cartoon and less about the what seems to be endless lines and companies that come out with versions.

Could someone tell me which model Valkyrie was the inspiration for Jetfire?

I believe it was the VF-1S?

Also I don't want to get a crap toy so could someone suggest a version? It appears that the one to get is made by Yamato at 1/60 scale.

Does Gundam make a transformable Valkyrie model?

Thanks any help would be appreciated!

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Bandai you mean, Gundam is another Bandai property. Your asking the equivalent of "does GI-Joe make anymore transformers?" Answer: yes they do. They even reissue the original mold for Jetfire all the time. I believe it is the 1/55 VH-1S Valkyrie (Roy Focker version), HLJ listing for the reissue. Now there are several other versions, same body different heads. The Hikaru Ichijo (Rick Hunter) version,a VH-1A Super Valkyrie. And the Max Genius version of the VH-1A. These however are just straight reissues of the old toys. They are $120 shipped a pop. And you'd have to repaint Roy's Valkyrie to look like Jetfire and take the "strike parts" off of Max's or Hikaru's VH-1A and paint them for Jetfrie's gear.

And there is much more expensive toys from Yamato in 1/48th scale. And there are much smaller and cheaper model kits from Bandai that may or may not transform. Just go to HobbyLink Japan Home Page and search Macross and decide for yourself.

3. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gundam and Robotech are two totally different things, and you are correct it is the VF-1S.

Now you have some options...

Yamoto makes a 1/60th 1S and a Super 1S (with Strike Parts). For Yamoto I'd suggest get the 1/60th Hikaru Ichijo VF-1s as much of it is already red, and buy the strike parts seprately because the ones that come packaged with them are known to be of lesser quality.

I'm pretty sure Bandai still makes a 1/55 VF-1S, but I can only find it in Roy Fokker's colors (yellow). I also am not sure if they make strike parts or not.

Toynami makes a 1/100 VF-1S and sells strike parts seperately. Unfortunately the Hikaru Ichijo 1S was, I believe, a convention exclusive and can be tricky to get these days. You'd have to go w/ Roy Fokker's 1S which is yello

4. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right...I did NOT mean Gundam. Thanks so far...I am not so concerned with making the fighter red and white. It doesn't have to be the same color scheme as jetfire is but similar style is all.

So you guys think Yamato's 1/60 versians are the best out there?

5. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    or you could use a 1/48 scale by yamoto and make him look like my masterpiece custom as attached :thumbs2: 

Attached Files:

6. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That does look nice! Though I've heard the 1/60's fixed some problems that were on the 1/48's. Also the price is cheaper and saving space is always an advantage!

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The second version VF-1S valkyries are more tightly designed than the 1/48, and for the most part more sturdy and easier to handle. They have issues with shoulders that break though, unfortunately.

Still, they're pretty good. The 1/60 VF-1S Hikaru Ichijo is as close as you'll get to a Jetfire paintscheme.

http://hlj.com/product/YMT00097 - without packs

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00085 - with packs

8. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems like the Bandai 1/55 origin of Valkyrie which shouldn't really be more than 40 or 50 bucks to get has inflated prices up to 100!

Granted the VF-1S is the inspiration for the original Jetfire mold, but the 1/60 scale Yamato version is so much more detailed and you get so much more with the figure that I would presume the price difference to be much greater than it is.

Interesting.

9. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want the original scale of the Jetfire figure it is the 1/55 Takatoku/Bandai. The VF-1A Super Valkyrie kit comes with the accessories like the original Jetfire . To get a G1 accurate figure, as previously posted you will need to swap heads from the VF-1s 1/55 figure, some paint and a little help from reprolabels.

10. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Waverider, how difficult is doing that headswap?

11. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The head on the 1/55 VF-1 swaps from the neck piece via a single screw if I remember right... if that's not it, it'll still be quite easy to do, as the 1/55's are exceptionally easy to work with.

EDIT: Honestly, unless you are in love with the 1/55 old-school look or want the toy to fit in with your G1 figures, I'd recommend getting the Yamato 1/60v2 VF-1S Hikaru w/ Super/Strike armor as posted above... the new 1/60 is an amazing piece, with killer proportions, better transformation, and really good articulation, and will end up being a more fun toy. If you were gonna get a 1/55, you might as well just buy Jetfire for the extra money to not have to do any work on it.

12. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that was going to be my last question. Just as a toy which would you choose the Yamato 1/60th or Bandai 1/55th.

The prices don't seem to be that different though I thought Bandai's 1/55 would have been significantly cheaper. Bandai's landing gear mechanism seems better, but everything else including accessories, detail etc seems better with Yamato.

Just not sure about durability. We know the Bandai version will last, though not sure about the Yamato.

I think I am getting the VF-1S and VF-1A Yamato movie deco Rick Hunter colors.

13. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This vid does comparisons of the Bandai 1/55 and G1 Jetfire figure. He also have various Yamato and Tranformer vids.

YouTube - Jetfire & OoV VF-1S (Quick Vid Comparision)

14. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I must be totally out of my mind. I just ordered the VF-1S the 1A and 1J and 1 has super and strike parts the 1/60 yamato versions.

I now have to find super parts for the 1A and 1J that don't cost over $50 a piece.

Humans can go a month without food right?

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Rule of 3. 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. So no. Find a soup kitchen.

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just curious myself, but do the super parts that come with the 1/60 VS-1 have 2 solid covers to make it look like jetfires fastpack, or would I be stuck with the single shoulder cannon?

17. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The super parts are simply the two jet engines.. Super and Strike parts come with two jet engine covers and one cannon that can be swapped out. or so the reviews say.

18. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Any of the releases that come with the strike cannon also come with regular missile pods (the solid fastpack cover), so no, you wouldn't be stuck with one shoulder cannon, no worries.