Jetfire stand-in

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    Hey all. First time poster, long-time lurker here.

Since the Jetfire mold belongs to Bandai and we won't be seeing a reissue of him, short of buying the original MIB, I was wondering which Macross series currently and/or recently in production is what the Jetfire toy was based off? I'm looking for something that is the same mold as 1985 Jetfire (or perhaps a better articulated version ala the reissue of Muygen Calibur aka Roadbuster recently), comes with the same accessories, and, if possible, has as similar to a color scheme as the original as can be expected. In a nutshell, I'm looking to have something come as close to being a Jetfire reissue as possible. I can always repro label the Macross toy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You want one of the Macross YF-1 Valkyries. There's lots of different types made by different companies and in different scales. I suggest checking out the Macross thread in the Toyark, or visiting our sister site Toyark, and finding out from there what the best version for you is.

3. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I know you said you are looking for the original mold (and I'm a big fan of it myself). However, just in case you are not aware of it, I want to mention Classics Jetfire, which is sort of a re-imagining of the original. It sort of combines the styles of the Bandai mold with Skyfire from the show.

Jetfire (2006) - Autobot Air Guardian - www.tfu.info

4. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Oh, good sir I am quite away of Classics Jetfire. He is my favorite mold from the line. But I'm looking to get something as close to the original as possible for my G1 collection. Thanks for the response, though.

5. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1/60th Yamato VF-1S Hikaru is a cash money Jetfire. Based on the original mold with updated articulation, and transformation.

6. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Judging from what I can tell, that model looks quite good, but there are a few things that irk me about it.
    1. The head scuplt is basically just a single eye ala Shockwave.
    2. The giant radial thing on the fast pack.
    3. The "propeller" paraphernalia on the forearms.

I realize nothing can be done about the head, but do the aforementioned other accessories come off? Also, does this have any die cast in it?

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Jetfire was the Roy Fokker Skull 1 Valkyrie, with strike parts. I actually put in the research on this and here's what I know.

The mold used for G1 Jetfire is reissued by Bandai all the freaking time. It's the 1/55 VF-1S Super Valkyrie. HLJ listing for it Some versions will have the strike parts (Jetfires armour bits), some won't. You can get upgrade kits of them though. Just remember that that VF-1S is the one with Jetfires head sculpt. Other iterations (1A 1J) have the same body but different heads. Also characters other than Roy Focker or Hikaru Ichijo may not have the right head sculpt. You get this figure your some paint-fu away from a G1 Jetfire. Plus reprolabels has a Jetfire set.

For an updated version you want 1/60th scale toys from Yamato. 1/60 VF-1S Valkyrie Roy Focker 1/60 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Hikaru Ichijo with Super & Strike Parts Now these aren't cheap. But look what you get.

8. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Wow, comprehensive reply! This is exactly the information I needed. Thanks!

9. lars573

I made a little goof. It's VF-1S. :drunk  Also Yamato had a line of 1/48th scale update Valkyries but the feedback on them is very bad. Easily broken.

10. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here are pics of my Yamato VF-1S 1/48 scale. Some of the photos he still has the green visor which has been painted red as you can see in the other photos. I have not had any QC issues with it. I have had it for over a year now. Great figure. He was pricey though.

Attached Files:

11. lars573

Yeah the $100 and up before shipping price tags are the reason I'd go for a 1/55 VF-1S reissue. And try reprolabels/painting.

12. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    @unmc2001: Damn, that looks really good. Totally what I'd like to do if I had any kind of artistic and/or kitbashing skills.

How does the 1/55 compare to the 1/48 scale? Is it appreciably more articulated (as Jetfire was already pretty good for his day to begin with)? Is it more sturdy in terms of accessories falling apart? Does it have the same amount of diecast? About how many inches tall is the 1/55?

13. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 1/48th is not the way to go (trust me I have two). Its the older of the two design wise (the 1/60th has been recently updated). There really isn't any diecast on the either. The 1/55 is the original mold. Toynami release a few "Masterpiece" Veritechs in this scale, stay away from them they are complete crap! The Bandai 1/55th is just the same as they were back in the 80's, and for the cost you better of buying the updated 1/60th Yamato.

Just remember VF-1S (for the jetfire head) and Hikaru/Rick (for Red/Black coloring). On a side note the red/black stripe on the chest will be inverted. Jetfire is Black/Red and the Veritech is Red/Black.

As for the single eye/radar dish model that wasn't a VF-1S

14. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 1/48 Yamatos are basically like having a Masterpiece Edition of Jetfire. I think of it along the same lines as Alternators/Binaltech and Masterpiece. Most of the figure is plastic but is does have metal "spine" and hip joints where it counts. It is a heavy figure when it has the Fastpacks on and mine is very sturdy with tight joints.

Attached Files:

15. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

I own lots of Valkeries as I love Macross. Do a search on yamato and you will see tons of them. The Valk used for Jetfire was a VF-1S. You can get a 1/48 version Hikaru, that is darn close with the red and black.

The strike parts (his armor) are all blue, unless you get a Milia version which has it in mostly red.

I love all my yamato valks and have had little QC with them, but then again I do not "play" with them as such.

the next scale is the 1/60 scal valks which have the same color if you look at the hikaru VF-1S. Be aware that there are 2 versions of the yamato 1/60 s. The first version has alot of diecast on it, but it is a part former. the legs have to be romoved to transform to batroid (robot) form. The newer version is based on thier awesome 1/48 scale valks and is a true transformer. Both versions and scales have amazing poseability.

They cost some money since they are adult collectibles, for adults, and are imports, but they are amazing.

As far as scale goes, the 1/60 scale is about as tall as the Classics jetfire, a little smaller than the original jetfire. The 1/48 is bout as tall as masterpiece Prime, and is used by many as a masterpiece Jetfire.

See theese pics.

[​IMG]

1/48 hikaru

[​IMG]

Strike parts

And now the 1/60

[​IMG]

Wonderful toys.

16. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I dont want to make it seem like the 1/48th is crap because it isn't. You can find good deals on them over at Macrossworld. Mine are very sturdy, and pose well with the fastpacks. And the scale is pretty impressive (Slightly smaller the MP Prime, but Bigger then MP grimlock). But if I had it to do over again, and wanted it for a Jetfire stand in I would go with the 1/60th Yamato.

-=edit=-
    Am I the only person that thinks the "graphic art" and general layout of the box looks like complete ass?

17. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    You all have been very helpful. I am simply looking to come as close to a mint version of Jetfire as possible (without buying a G1 MIB), with the sturdiness of modern day accessories and possibly better articulation, but with an old-school amount of diecast and plastic quality. That said, the 1/48th seems like it would be the way to go. I don't mind spending the money.

In summary, to come as close to a color scheme for Jetfire, I would want a Hikaru/Rick VF-1S, Milia version? Is this configuration available in all scales, or only one particular one?

18. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

this thread makes me cry. The pics and links are so beautiful.

I had Jetfire when I was a kid, I have no idea what happened to him. *WAAAAHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!*

Good luck in your hunting OP.

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
  20. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

the 1/48s are beutiful, but not alot of diecast, not that it needs it, but still.

The 1/60 new version I cannot say how much is diecast as I never bothered to update my old 1/60s which have diecast legs and backs etc.

I would either get the new 1/60 Hikaru, and paint his armor (that comes with it if you buy that version) red. its the easiest way.

The 1/48 and then getting a strike pack would work, but thats some intense money there. the Miria (or Millia) valk is pretty much all red and her strike parts are mostly red as well, but you would still have to paint some of it, and its tough to find just her strike parts alone without her valk.

Really the easiest thing to do is get the 1/60 with strike parts, and a can of spray paint. Barring that a 1/48 and a can of spray paint.

Google "custom jetfire" and you will see some amazing things, but even someone who does not do alot of customizing can paint the armor parts easily enough, stop by repro lables and get some autobot symbols and you are golden.

here is the 1/48 miria BTW:

[​IMG]

so you would still have to paint the tops of the thrusters and the arm armor. may as well get the super parted Hikaru, even though they are blue/gray, easy to repaint really.