Jet! Tank! Jet! Tank! Giant hand!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Xaedrahk, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was organizing my small (thirteen) Megatron collection today, and noticed something.

Optimus Prime has almost always been a truck of some kind. Whether it's been a standalone truck or had a separate trailer, he's just about always been a truck.

Megatron started out as a gun (G1), then became a tank (G2), then ended up as something with half a dozen modes (RID), then another tank (Armada), then a jet (Energon) and finally a jet/batmobile (Cybertron). From there he's gone back and forth between "cybertronian jet" and "tank" some more, and most notably; a helicopter (To say nothing of the different-character BW Megatron who went from Tyrannosaurus to dragon to hovering robot-in-funky-robe-like-garment while Primal stayed as a gorilla throughout).

My best guess is that he's always preferred a form suited to power while Prime relies more on his own inherent strength, but I'd like other opinions:

Why do you think Megatron never seems to have a consistent alternate mode, while his arch-enemy does?

2. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Nail. Head. Hit.

3. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    In fiction: Just as you said, to have a more powerful robot mode.

Real world: To sell toys, and to keep things interesting, I suppose.

I liked Megatron as an attack chopper in Animated, and a winged tank in the films is pretty effective. But a Transmetal flying T-Rex is pretty cool. I also now get why they didn't make Movie Megatron a gun - it is kinda like Darth Vader becoming someone else's lightsaber.

4. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I think Vangelus put it best when he said that Optimus is "one of those characters that is forever doomed to homage themselves".

As for the Megatron thing, I like that he doesn't have a "set" alternate form. With Optimus, you know he's gonna be a truck, the question is what kind of truck and how slavishly G1 he is. With Megatron, you never know what he's gonna be, making a lot more unique designs and toys.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Not to be a cynic, but I think the ever-changing alt modes for Megatron are at least partly due to his original G1 form being so illogical. Whereas Prime was crystallized into viewers' consciousness as a truck, a form that made perfect sense and could be used for many future incarnations, Megatron was crystallized in viewers' consciousness as a magical mass-shifting pistol.... a leap of logic so profound that most future versions of the franchise have shied away from it.

However, none of those subsequent versions have strong sticking power because they aren't "the original." So it leaves Megatron much more open to re-interpretation. And the more times you switch up his alt mode, the more times it becomes acceptable, heck, even EXPECTED, to switch up his alt mode.

I suspect that if Megatron had been, say, a tank or a helicopter in G1, he would have remained that more consistently in future reboots. The "truck vs. helicopter" or "truck vs. tank" rivalry would have had more staying power than "truck vs. handgun."

Now, it may sound like I think this is a bad thing, but I don't. I like that Megs gets re-invented a lot. It keeps it interesting.

6. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron would still be a hand held weapon, wasn't for a bunch of idiots who decided to carry toy guns outside and rob people with them.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because Megatron is a symbol of violence and power, and attack craft and monster are also a symbol of that, or can be symbols of that. Prime is a symbol of good and strong will, and there's not really any kind of vehicle that says "good and strong-willed." A truck, fire or otherwise is probably the closest you can get, and even then it's not quite as symbolic, so for Prime it's most likely a case of "not broken, no need to fix" wheras with Megatron a handgun is a pretty weak alt mode, but because Hasbro wants no one series to take over in that aspect, they mix it up.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

A series is only as good as it's Megatron.

9. jametron

News Credits:
    Yeah, cause that's the only reason. :rolleyes2  When I was a kid, a boy down the street (about 12-14 or so) was shot and killed while playing outside at dusk with a realistic looking toy gun. Just adding a little gray to your black & white.

10. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Since the topic mentioned Optimus Prime has always been a truck, I really enjoyed RID when he was a different sort of truck (fire truck) and not your typical 18 wheeler with trailer.

I really hope a future series has the courage to move Optimus Prime into a new form again to keep things interesting... to me, the character of Optimus Prime has stagnated, because I know that no matter what new medium it is he will be unchanged and he'll just be another 18 wheeler.

In the beginning, it seemed Optimus Prime would be ever changing as well - he went from 18 wheeler to gorilla to fire truck. It seems lately though he is forever stuck as an 18 wheeler.

11. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Wait, so he was shot to death because he was playing with a toy gun? Or was it the gun that shot him? You aren't being very clear.

12. jametron

News Credits:
    Sorry... he was mistaken for having a real gun and was shot.

13. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well most other TFs are stuck in the same mode, the seekers, bumblebee(ok now camaro but he is gonna be a camaro forever now) and so on. After g1 someone said probably best not to sell guns to kids. And after that megs just hasn't bit an iconic alt mode yet maybe one day.

14. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'm sorry, but that must have been a pretty bad neighborhood for people to be ready to open fire on children, no matter the circumstance. What's the worst a kid can do with a toy gun?

15. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan if letting kids play with gun like toys. It de sensitises them to the danger if them. Got no problem with their toys having guns. Just don't like kid sized versions. I cringe everytime albeit rarely I see my nephew with one.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Or it gives them the confidence to handle guns responsibly. Most kids that kill themselves or someone else with a real gun do so because they have no idea how to handle it and it goes off because they are so nervous with it in their hand. The key to gun safety is not taking the guns away, but learning how to handle them properly at a young ( but mature ) age. Everyone in my family used guns from the time we were 8. We all saw something die with it ( deer, squirrel, etc ) so we knew the danger. So far, no problems. You almost NEVER hear of kids in these situations shooting someone on accident. It's the ones like yours that are kept away from guns their whole life, but then stumble across the one in the drawer they aren't supposed to touch.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And "Standard Transformers Fan Argument #3" is kicked off anew.

18. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couldn't agree more. I always advocate education for kids and or adults instead of don't do that just cause I said so. For example my mothers laptop. My nephew was too young/rough to be on it really. And I told all concerned that will break the keyboard. Then not long later the keyboard broke Ns now she has to have a USB keyboard attached and nephew is rarely if ever let near it now and when he is he knows be has to be gentle with. Granted that wasn't a life threatening situation but if people took heed of the little educUcation put forth it wouldn't have happened n

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I don't really think it's had anything to do with a gun alt mode being stupid. I reckon if laws about guns and toy guns and whatnot had remained as they were back in the early G1 days then Megatron would've been a gun across different series more than anything else. That's not to say he wouldn't have ever been other modes when a story setting demanded it, but a gun mode would've likely been incorportated in there somehow too.
    I agree with the below as well:
    For the most part Hasbro have been fairly consistant about giving certain main TF characters around the same alt mode they originally had, it's just been with Megatron that times have changed and his old gun mode has been somewhat left behind by society and what's more acceptable for toys.

It's been nice to see Megatron getting his fusion cannon back over the last few TF toylines. Good that his old G1 gunnish design cues can still be applied somewhere in modern times.

20. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I think the bio on the Generation Megatron sums it up pretty well, he constantly evolves so as to be the very cutting edge of Cybertronian Tech, and constant evolution means constant changing of alt modes. personally I wouldn't mind seeing megatron as something completely different and unexpected, like the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile