Jerkbots, transform and roll out!

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Aluinashryu, Mar 4, 2009.

1. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Autobots are tetotalers :lol 

2. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Well, they chose the Decepticons because of the oil, right? To the Constructicons it's like they were treating them better. It's not that I'm calling the Autobots bad guys.

3. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

O your funny...Maybe you should read what he wrote.
    morality is subjective.

4. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

Seems to me that the only definition of good and evil anyone can agree on, and that "fits" is:

"Good" = Stuff you think it's ok to do.
    "Evil" = Stuff you don't think it's ok to do.

The only thing that changes is who sets down the rules for what's "ok". For some people, their god(s)/goddess(es)/superiors, for others logic, and for others it's just what they "feel".

The Autobots feel that that the Decepticons are nothing but power hungry criminals and thus seek to punish and destroy them at all costs. Even if that punishment can seem extreme to an outsider. (Take what happened to Wasp for example. Merely finding a Decepticon communicator in his trunk was enough to have him stripped of his very status as an Autobot and imprisoned for an untold number of years. An act which literally drove him insane.) The Decepticons (primarily Megatron) feel that they are La Resistance and the Autobots are nothing but ultra-anal Knight Templars and seek to (in Megatron's own words) "free themselves from Autobot tyranny".

Both sides however seem to be following "Utopia Justifies the Means" and thus BOTH come off (to an outside observer) as equally flawed.

There are two outcomes that would make sense (to me) given this portrayal. Either a CLEAR line must be drawn (via one side or the other kicking the dog) and the now objectively established "Good Guys" must defeat the objective "Evildoers", OR both sides must come to the realization that neither is perfectly good or perfectly evil and strike some sort of harmonious balance.

Personally, I don't agree with the Autobot ruling class's methods as presented so far, and I've yet to see any actions perpetrated by the Decepticons that is out and out "evil". If one goes by Megatron's POV (with the Decepticons as "freedom fighters"), then every Decepticon action we've seen so far IS justified. When you're an underground resistance then sometimes you must take seemingly drastic actions just to survive, let alone win.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But the way you said it implied you believed the Autobots were abusing them because they didn't have good enough oil.

The only problem is, we KNOW Megatron would never settle for equality.

6. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Maybe M.Knight's gonna introduce us to the awesome des ex machina plot hole device, both 'cons and 'bots were wrong. And Sari has to make them realize their errors. Or some crap like that... >V>;

They were treated to better oil :D 

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    In b4 'power of friendship'

8. TranstechCat

Exactly. Megatron will settle for nothing less than being in total control. He'll literally die before he accepts a fate other than being "Lord High Megatron".

From a storytelling aspect, Animated is at something of an impass when it comes to a clear cut resolution. Either the factions will have to fall into a storybook 'unfailingly good vs. irredeemable evil' dichotomy during the course of season 3 (with the "Gray Decepticons" like Blackarachnia doing a last minute heel face turn) or the series will end with one side victorious and we'll be left with uncomfortable questions regarding whether or not the "right side" won for the "right reasons".

If I had to choose, I'd actually pick the latter option.

9. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    If you want to break down the personalities of the various groups/factions...

Autobots led by Optimus Prime -
    A bunch of "nobodies/rejects", find themselves in the biggest, most important battle ever, trying to stop Megatron from taking over Cybertron.

Elite Guard led by Ultra Magnus -
    Obviously skeptical that a nobody/reject like Optimus Prime (remember, he was blamed for the whole Elita-One incident by Sentinel Prime, and thus is discreditted and kicked out of the Elite Guard) would have stopped Megatron, the leader of the Decepticons. Every reason Optimus originally gave could be discreditted -- AllSpark "dispearsed", but no pieces to show for it (later proven true). Decepticons still on Earth? No sensors picked up anything, and it took a power-hungry Starscream to prove them right. So they originally, and rightfully so, thought Optimus Prime was a big fat fibber and didn't believe him ... but eventually did, hence why the let him stay, gave him stasis-cuffs, and left Blurr to assist.

Decepticons led by Megatron -
    Megatron warped their minds into believing they've been "outted" by the Autobots, "driven" off their homeland. Truth be told, Megatron wanted the AllSpark to conquer the universe, so the writers make him both a tyrant as well as a silver tongued devil. He can talk his way in and out of anything (Dr. Sumdac, the Constructicons) and he has the power to stop just about anyone (no Autobot ever defeated him in single combat, only external circumstances).

Decepticons led by Starscream (the CLONES)! -
    A bunch of carbon copies of a power-hungry Starscream who makes the mistake of putting too much trust in copies of himself, which eventually turn on him to follow a "real leader".

Constructicons -
    Originally deceived by Megatron into believing the Autobots are the bad guys, eventually "brainwashed" and "reprogrammed" into being loyal Decepticons. They choose the oil (like power) rather than save themselves by joining the Autobots.

Dinobots -
    Finally primitive Transformers that have real, primitive brains. They're dumb, stupid, and powerful. So much that they can't be brought in with the rest of the Autobots because they're too powerful to be controlled. Easily deceived (Black Arachnia) and easily manipulated (Meltdown).

10. TranstechCat

Sentinel Prime is still a jerk. :redface2: 

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    If you rewatch the episode, the Autobots were actually pretty snooty and judgmental. Constructicons would obviously be useful to have on a team(particularly with all the city repairing in that episode), but Optimus and the others failed to see this. Bulkhead was more welcoming, but the rest of the Autobots were all 'you shouldn't be hanging around with these guys'.

By contrast, at least from the constructicon's perspective, the Decepticons saw their potential. Even if they saw it simply as something to be exploited. Megatron promised them great things, whereas the Autobots had no time for them. The good oil just sweetened the deal.

12. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    They weren't so much snoody as they were upset that Bulkhead brought two unknown Transformers to their base. They were afraid that they might be Decepticons who would then know the location of their base.

Which they ended up doing just that.

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Well there's a little of that, but if you watch the episode, they mostly express disapproval at the Constructicon's rowdy behaviour. They really do look down their noses at them.

14. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Hey, nothing can match the jack-assery of the Autobots from G1 (concerning Skyfire).

I mean, in Skyfire's debut episode he falls into the ice at the end and all the Autobots are all sad, etc. etc. THEN... when they decide they NEED him for a mission they go and rescue him from under the ice. Not because they missed him, not because it was the right thing to do, but because they needed him for a mission.

:p 

15. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Blurr didn't do anything. xD

Even if you take into account he was probably under Master Disaster's control most of the time, he left and didn't come back until the season finale! xD

16. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Jerkbots hardly.

Megatron sees himself as a Freedom fighter. The way he goes about it is more like terrorism but I digress.

17. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    The show is a kids show. They have to portray the good guys and bad guys in a way that kids will understand. They can't make the Decepticons outright evil killing machines, and the Autobots can't be supremely self sacrificing, willing to die rough and tough soldiers. They have to tone it down a bit or risk traumatizing the parents that watch these shows over their kids' shoulders. "My kids can't watch this! They will be scarred for life!"

Decepticons are the bullies.

Autobots are the buddies.

18. TranstechCat

Oddly enough, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" is an actual saying. :D 

19. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't undermine my argument at all, I think. After all, didn't the Decepticons start the Great War? They wanted to take Cybertron in their lust for power and they failed and got kicked off. So far, there has been no indications that the Decepticons want anything else than take Cybertron from the Autobots and rule it as they see fit: by oppression and tyranny.

How can a Decepticon see an Autobot civilian as a criminal, by the way? I'm pretty sure that most Autobots that are not in Academy or Elite Guard, thus civilians, are of the same worker-droid types.

In a real-life situation, yes, contrast between good and evil would be much less clear, and would be a matter of perspective, but this is a kid's show/toyline that has a clear outline: Autobots=Good, Decepticons=Evil. As much as I applaud the writers of Animated to grey the line between good and evil, there can't be any question as to which side is which.

To be honest, I find it a bit sad some people want to go to lengths to 'prove' the Decepticons are the good guys when they are not. But don't listen to me, I'm just one big Autobot propaganda bot. :) 

20. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Actually, Blurr states in "A Bridge Too Close Part 1" that he was left behind by Ultra Magnus and the others to monitor Decepticon activity. He also states that he has located their base of operations and sent a request in for back-up but that the Elite Guard was spread too thin across the galaxy to be able to send anyone.

So while Blurr didn't show up and help Optimus Prime till the Season Finale, he did 1) Find the Decepticon base, 2) Request reinforcements, and 3) Picked up the transmission of the Autobot traitor.

Not too shabby if you ask me.