Jeffrey Combs is the Peter Cullen of Ratchets!

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Wollstone, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

You forgot Brunt and Shran.

This.

2. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

He's great, but I really like Movie Ratchet's voice. Robert Foxworth was perfect for him, how Movie Ratchet is portrayed as an intelligent, well meaning, bot, but has a tendency of unintentionally insulting/embarrassing his human comrades.

Jeffrey Combs is great though too, though Ratchet is kind of like an Ironhide with an ambulance for a vehicle mode, how he's Optimus' cranky old friend.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

This pretty much nails it. Animated and Prime Ratchets are two different characters. Combs is perfect for this role, and Burton for Animated. I loved Animated Ratchet throughout the whole series, and it's looking like it will be the same feeling for Prime.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Exactly. Excellent casting for excellent characters. Again, see my above post on how it's not fair to full out compare them, but, Combs' voice for Ratchet is much more "real world" in my opinion. Much like Foxworth's, I can see Combs' voice being used for a live-action movie, in which the voices aren't meant to be cartoony and too eccentric or extreme. (In fact, I can very easily imagine Combs' voice paired with the Bayformers Ratchet and I think it fits very well.) Burton's is excellent for the ornery old Animated incarnation, but I just can't see that particular voice paired up with top-notch digitally animated characters attempting to be passed off as legitimate, serious characters in a live-action movie, no offense to Animated Ratchet, Corey Burton or anyone, I'm not knocking their work. ;)  Combs is great for Prime, Burton is fantastic for Animated. :)  Just my opinion.

5. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Agree with the sentiments about the whole voice cast of TFP being excellent. A few of the voices do sound very genuine and not 'cartoony', Arcee for example.

Combs' voice seems suitable for a character that mutters to himself a lot, so I particularly enjoyed Ratchet whenever he was grumbling or complaining, but all his dialogue seemed well-written and was a delight to listen to. I also couldn't help but be reminded of the Question from Justice League Unlimited as I heard Combs' voice emanating out of Ratchet. That already makes me like him very much.

6. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Jeffrey Combs makes for a lovely Ratchet.
    It's not like the Wollstone I know to make stupid remarks that show a lack of clear thinking. I'm sure there are lots of voice actors that can do a Ratchet just as well as Combs can.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Jeffrey Combs is my favorite Ratchet to date. This might even include G1.

8. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Well, I honestly think that Ratchet has gotten a great deal of attention since the movie series, and over these past three incarnations we've seen some great renditions of him. But I'd agree with what everyone before me has said- Combs is perfect for the kind of Ratchet TFP is going for, while Burton's Ratcher was perfect for TFA's. I think if we see another Ratchet of Prime's style, I'd love to see Combs reprise the role. It's nice to see the Prime voice cast getting so much love so early on!

9. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I think Combs is doing an amazing job as Ratchet although I don't know if I'd like him to become the main voice of Ratchet, I like seeing different actors have a take.

10. Omegatron Prime

Omegatron Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i agree the hell out of both these statements!!!

11. One

One Well-Known Member

Mr. Combs is a awesome actor and I enjoy him voicing Ratchet but it be awesome if he voiced Mindbender in gi joe renegades but that's just me.

12. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse Well-Known Member

Totally agree guys.

Indeed, his Star Trek roles were totally fantastic too, it was so awesome that he came back as Shran after doing DS9.

Yeah, I was totally floored with the cast, what a fantastic casting job they did :) 

Agreed, Combs is so awesome at the grumbling (or when someone breaks something of his LOL).

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Absolutely agree..just watched the "making of" episode on the HUB OD yesterday and loved what he said about his version of Ratchet is like the crusty old Uncle that you grow to love. :lol  I also like that this Ratchet had Prime's back in battle and was quite the kick-ass bot. This has to be my favorite Ratchet of any series or movie, hands down.

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I seem to be a lone voice in this thread, but I didn't care much for Combs' performance as Ratchet. I loved Corey Burton as Ratchet in TFA, and Don Messick was a fine choice for the G1 series. But it's going take some character-defining moments for Combs to reach a level of performance with Ratchet that I would call "great."

So far, his performance has been flat and fairly uninteresting. I'd even go as far as to call it "boring" in some places.

But that's just my opinion.

15. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Agreed.

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I like Combs, but his voice sounds too much like the Question to really say he's the best.

I'll go out on a limb and say Fred Tatiscore is my favorite Ratchet voice

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

For some reason I remind myself of House when I see Prime Ratchet. Either way, I love this Ratchet.

18. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Combs' Ratchet sounds like he could be a younger version of Burton's TFA Ratchet..

19. SilverBlade

SilverBlade Well-Known Member

Whenever I hear Ratchet's voice, I'm always expecting him to say anything along the lines of 'Founders' 'Dominion' 'Federation'.

I hope that TFP parodies this in some way. Afterall, Paramount owns both Star Trek and the *movie* rights to Transformers.

20. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

Jeffrey Combs is an awesome VO Actor! Loved when he voiced The Question on JLU and I think he does an awesome job voicing the Autobot medic! A great choice on the part of TFP's casting! :cool: