Jeffrey Combs is the Peter Cullen of Ratchets!

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Wollstone, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I am going to lobby for Jeffrey Combs to play Ratchet with every new series, video game, or movie. He is well and truly the Peter Cullen of Ratchets. It's over... FINISHED! They cannot, will not hire another voice actor for Ratchet unless they want a short, sharp lesson in a world of pain!

Seriously though, he's amazing. He stole the show for me even before I saw the mini-series. I knew he was going to use that slightly unsettling and cold voice he has.

I hope Ratchet is in the first wave of Prime figures.

2. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I prefer Animated Ratchets voice personally, but that could change as we get to know Prime Ratchet a bit more. Prime Ratchet is still very cool, his voice is a kind of a G1/animated mashup.

And yes, I cant wait for a Ratchet fig, but then I cant wait for toys of all the 'bots to show up. Even Bee.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea i still prefer tfa ratchet's voice too.

BUT tfp's ratchet is good lol

NOT as cool as tfa's though. i mean come on, he WAS the best autobot :lol 

4. ElSnarfo

ElSnarfo Registered Slacker

Grew up with the Re-Animator series.. so it's sorta creepy hearing mr. Combs as Ratchet

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

TFA Ratchet was Kup.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

and kup was just ironhide, on over time. :lol 

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voice-wise Jeffrey > Corey for me, alot, his voice is just more pleasing to the ears and got that grumpy feel without being a CARTOON OLD MAN GRRAAAA (in fact that's one thing I really like about TFP's cast, except for the iconic voices like Starscream and Megatron everybody sounds more believable than past series, like, they're voices you can hear outside of a cartoon, I really like that).

Wouldn't complain if he became the new main voice for Ratchet.

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^This!

9. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Kudos have to go to whoever wrote Ratchet's lines for Transformers: Prime as well.
    Every single dialogue is music to my ears.
    And this is coming from a guy with a nickname ending with "Ratchet". ;) 

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Whenever I hear Ratchet in TFP, I can't get Weyoun out of my head.

I never cared for the voice on Animated, though the characterization was okay.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I agree that Combs does a bang-up job as the Doc 'Bot. Definitely one of the best Ratchet's I've come across (I'm still a fan of Foxworth's work in the live-action films though). Although, I don't really think that it's fair to compare the voices/characterizations of the Animated and Prime versions, as they are (relatively) different. Animated Ratchet is meant to be a really old, really ornery war veteran (like Kup), so it's obvious that he'd sound like a really old, really ornery old man. Meanwhile Prime Ratchet is not quite as old, and therefore won't have that "Weeearrrgghhh (attempt at an old man sound effect fail), you kids get off my dang lawn! Those hooligans and they're loud hip-hop music and violent video games!"-attitude that Animated's Ratchet had. Prime's is more of a sadistic, grumpy, not-quite-as-old, misanthropic doctor who just wants to be left to his work. *cough*House*cough*. Different versions of the same character. I could definitely see the Prime version of Ratchet eventually growing into his Animated counterpart.

As for having Combs take up the mantle of "Ratchet" for life, well, I agree and disagree. Yeah, he's a good Ratchet that I wouldn't mind listening to as Ratchet for all eternity, but I also like it when they give other actors a chance to display their chops as characters. Think about it this way; if they had chosen to have Welker play Megatron in every. single. series., we wouldn't have gotten the great and unique performances of the character by the likes of Kaye, Burton, Weaving and Tatasciore. So who knows what we have in store for us in the future of Ratchet? Maybe we'll end up getting a performance that leaves Combs in the dust? Just my thoughts. :) 

And yes, I too hope that Ratchet is in the first wave of figures, because I will buy the heck out of the figure.

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Ain't nothing wrong with that! :D 

Animated Ratchet was my favorite Ratchet, but Prime Ratchet is really challenging hm. I love Combs' performance - I got chills when he said, "Then by all means, let us light our darkest hour!" And he's got some darn badass blades too, and can chop up some zombie-aft! I just wish he'd been more involved in the final battle on the space bridge, but I'll survive. We need somebody at HQ.

His prejudice and resentment towards humans is certainly a surprising and unexpected character trait, but this will surely play a big role later on, and will be a very interesting character arc for Ratchet. I bet you, if Ratchet dies, it'll be to save Raf or one of the humans by the end of the series.

Prime Ratchet's a really great addition to the Ratchet's we've gotten thus far, and I can't wait for his toy.

EDIT: Tyler's right, Wollstone! Combs is great for Ratchet, but we gotta let others shine as Ratchet too. That's the reason I'm somewhat hesitant about Cullen voicing Prime... again.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I agree Jeffrey Combs is the best Ratchet yet.

I also think he should voice SG Ratchet. :ev: 

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Best. Ratchet. Ever.

Having said that, I am a big fan of Robert Foxworth's interpretation for the big screen as well, just wish he had a bigger role (although the same could be said for most of the robots!)

Jeffrey Combs is amazing though. Loved Ratchet whenever he was on screen in Prime.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I like him, although it took an episode or 3 to get used to the accent (it seems slightly New Yorkish/Italian to me? I could be totally wrong on this, having never actually been to New York :D . I loved when he said he would never forgive Optimus if he'd leave them stranded on a planet crawling with humans :lol 

I like TFA Ratchet a bit better but so far Prime Ratchet looks like he's a cool character as well (I also really like movie Ratchet, even if he has no character :lol ).

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I couldn't agree more; Ratchet's dialogue in Prime was brilliant. Every line was spot on, and having Jeffrey Combs as the VA was a stroke of genius.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I think it's important to note that we're dealing with two very different Ratchets.

Transformers Animated Ratchet was incredibly old - he was still on the frontlines during the civil war, one that was well over by the time Optimus Prime and Sentinel Prime ever became Elite Guard cadets. He was from a time that was all but forgotten, kind of like a World War 2 veteran in today's day and age (well, maybe the 90's ... World War 2 vets are becoming very scarce these days).

Transformers Prime Ratchet seems to be a smidgent younger than Animated's Ratchet, or at least he's portrayed that way. He seems to have more oomph in his step, more swagger in his voice, and a little more zip in his zang. That being said, his voice is dead-on for that age of Ratchet ... while Corey Burton's Ratchet was perfect for the uber-old Ratchet.

I prefer Combs for my Ratchet voice ... the entire Prime cast is pretty much spectacular.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed a thousand times over. They couldn't have picked a better VA for him.

19. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I like the way his character is portrayed and his witty lines, but I do still have a love towards Animated Ratchet, to me, he is the best Ratchet...

20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, Combs' voice, and Ratchet characterization, was one of the highlights of "Prime" (on which I've been otherwise kinda lukewarm). He has such a distinctive voice, with a lot of personality to it. It's that deep, warbly tone that sounds simultaneously tough-guy and intelligent, with even a bit of nerdiness.

Probably doesn't hurt that I'm a non-repentant Trekkie, and have a built-in affection for him thanks to his roles on DS9 and Enterprise. More Trek/TF crossover is always a welcome thing for me. :)