Jeez I want to go back to school so bad.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Dec 20, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I've nearly spent two whole years doing nothing to further my education and it's really bothering me. I've got a good job, but not one I want to stay in for the rest of my life. I have my 2 year degree (From Valencia Community College if you're in Florida) which should guarntee me entry into University of Central Florida (UCF), so I can work on my Digital Media degree, but I feel that with this job I dont have time to take off and get things straghtened out.

Then after I get my 4 year degree, join the Air Force, be an officer, and do somthing important, but thats getting too far ahead right now.

Anyone had issues like this before and how'd you do it? Heck, I know there're some guys from Orlando here as well, any of you guys go to UCF?

2. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

I'm still getting my two-year degree. :p  But I know where you're coming from...somewhat. I can't work at most places (grocery store, factory, anything that involves standing) due to knee conditions, so it's imperative that I get my education. Anyways, my third semester just ended, and I've got a MONTH off. Not going to school, especially after getting into the groove of going, has thrown me off a bit. Plus it gets frikkin' bored where I live. Anywho, best of luck getting into UCF! :D 

3. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    After 20years in the school-etc-system, no thanks ! I'd rather work.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I can't wait to start my Phd program, I miss those sweet young girls with sweet short skirts and shorts. So I know what you mean about missing school Dagger.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know where your coming from- I delayed school a lot AND joined the military. I don't have regrets but if I were you I would put jobs on hold and get into whatever debt you have to in order find something that makes you happy every day.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I am all for continuing education, but I dont think I could go back to school school. Ive taken classes and received certifications, but actual school would be a stretch for me.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In order: apply to school, get accepted, quit your job, and borrow student loans to pay your bills. Work part-time if you can--if you can't, load up that many more hours, go year-round, and finish as fast as you can. It's that simple. If you wait until you feel like you have enough time or money or the moment is perfect, you'll never go back. Period.
    Joining the Air Force and doing something important are mutually exclusive.

I keed, I keed. :D 

If you wanna be an officer, be prepared to do ROTC those two years (which might get you a scholarship and a stipend, which would definitely help alleviate your financial concerns). A Digital Media degree isn't likely to get you into OCS. Alternatively, you could go AF Reserves or ARNG and use your GI Bill benefits, but honestly, I would just get your education done. You'll probably get loan repayment anyways.

And planning on what happens a few years from now isn't thinking too far ahead at all. I've got a good idea where I'll be in fifteen years, geographically, finanically, and professionally, and it's been like that since before I went back to school.

8. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Blargh, I've just done 4 years of "school" (i.e. uni) and I'm heading back in March for 3 - 4 more years. Go me!

9. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I have a year left then im out of a 4 year marketing degree im pursuing. I swear school is going to finish off my hair.

10. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm, I got my Associates then worked retail for two years before I decided to go back to school to pursue a Bachelors for something that I've become increasingly disinterested in, mainly because all but one of the classes I've taken so far in my second go-around have either been useless or hated by me.

Only a few more classes to go though, so that's something. Then I can go work for umpteen hours a week in a job that will suck the very soul from my being, until I die a useless husk at the age of 40, when my huge collection of TFs and other toys finally collapse and crush.

See kids, it pays to have a life plan.

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    The longer you stay out of school, the more difficult it is to go back. I've been out for seven years now, and I have the chance to get my Master's in Business Administration, or Master's in Computer Information Systems for absolutely free, but I can't be bothered to give up my weekends and one night a week after work for two years to do it.

12. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I just finished my bachlers and not sure about going for my masters quite yet. I want to give my wife some time to go to college if she wants to.

13. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

As you can see from some of the posts, it's not for everybody. But I would definitely encourage you to do it, especially considering the title you gave this thread. ;) 

What you gain from taking 2-4 years out of your life to further your education will far outweigh anything you lose (money, time).

(In my case I found that I just couldn't do anything outside of academia, so I'm in it for the long haul, to get my PhD and become a professor.) :p 

14. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I never thought money was that hard for school. I was able to pay for my first 2 years, plus books, without any student loans what so ever. I don't think money will be an issue when going back to school.

15. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The truth of these statements depends a lot upon what exactly you're doing there. Some courses will give you plenty of time to work and earn enough money to survive, others won't. Just like how some courses will be an excellent investment in your future, while others won't.