Customs: Jarrod's Customs

Discussion in 'Commissioner Listing and Feedback' started by Jarrod, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

Hello all! I've had a few buyers suggest I start one of these feedback pages, so here we go.

I've been building and painting for over ten years now, but only in the past few have I really gotten into doing customs for others.

My work ranges from near complete scratchbuilds to simple repaints. I like to take on new and creative projects the most, but will definitely repeat a piece mulitple times (time permitting of course).

I do take pride is building an accurate a head as possible, as I feel this truly anchors the character into his new body.

My paint style is very solid. I like vibrant, smooth, fresh-from-the-factory paintjobs. I want my figures to fit in with the line they belong with, so you won't find shading, weathering, drybrushing, or any of that stuff in my work. What you will get is a fantastic, airbrushed finish that you can feel confident to handle.

I do this strictly as a hobby on the side, in between my full time job and other life stuff. So I'm slower than most, and unfortunately that means I can only accept commsions on a limited basis. Don't let that deter you, you can always contact me thru PM's here, or email me at duom@yahoo.com

Here's a sampling of my work, to see more, just search my name in the Radicons section, or check out some of my stuff in the Gallery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got my first commission from Jarrod today and its fantastic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to Frenzy:thumbs2: 

3. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here's a pic of the WST Smokescreen after being stickered up. This thing is outrageously well done. I wish everyone would leave Jarrod to do commissions only for me. World's greatest customizer. He's some kind of genius, anyway.

Points to check out:

-New front bumper/skirt
    -Rear spoiler wing
    -Cartoon model launchers
    -Robot mode gun
    -Paint job that looks factory-applied
    -Car mode has turning wheels
    -Car's transformation ability deleted (at my request - don't blame Jarrod!)
    -Super awesome stickers (okay, I did those myself)

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      145.4 KB
      Views:
  4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I got a set of Alternator Coneheads from Jarrod a bit ago, and I must say that I was and still am very impressed and pleased with his work.

His paint work is just amazing, all three of them have baby smooth finishes. His modding skills are top notch as all three of them have custom hand built cone heads, each a little different from the next....yeah, he took time to do that.

His communications are top notch, not once did I have to ask "hey, hows this going?" it was more so Jarrod pm-ing me with regular basis updates (I wanna say they were weekly?...yeah, that efficient in communicating with his clients) on the status of them from start (when he got the donors in hand) to finish (when he dropped them off at his local p.o.)

Top notch Customizing services here. I will be a repeat customer. :) 

Thanks Jarrod. Job well done.

5. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

I won a custom Wheeljack from Jarrod off eBay ages ago. Even before that conversion kit came out, Jarrod scratchbuilt parts for Wheeljack such as the front lip, the "wings" and the head, in addition to the Sunstreaker mold, and it was very impressive. His decal work were top notch as well, at least in its application!

I liked Wheeljack so much that I returned to him asking for a Marlboro Wheeljack!

Cheers man, keep up the great work!!

6. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    I've commissioned figures with Jarrod for several years now. He's helped me flesh out my sorely anemic Classics Decepticon army with some Stunticons and Combaticons as well as some awesome Alternators.

I've dealt with a number of customizers on these boards, so I have some experience with which to make comparative judgments. Here are some of the things about Jarrod that are important to me:
    • His quality of work is fantastic! The paint job is smooth and durable. The colors are always spot-on.
    • He is extremely good at fabricating things from styrene -- particularly heads and weapons. He won't just make a head that looks different from stock, he'll make a head that looks exactly like it should! He's one of my absolute favorite customizers for this reason -- both for what he's done specifically for me and just to enjoy other projects he's posted on the boards.
    • His commission fees are very fair compared to other customizers.
    • He takes input for exactly what you're looking for and will be bluntly honest about what he can or can't easily do. On the other hand, he'll go the extra mile. If you ask for something he thinks will be hard to do, but you really want it, he'll often figure out a creative way to get you what you want.
    • He keeps up good communication about how the progress is coming along. He'll give you in-progress shots and let you request tweaks as he goes.
    • He knows his craft and schedule well enough to provide a reasonably accurate time estimate. As he said, he's not the fastest, but he lets you know that up front and he'll keep you informed about his schedule if it changes. Also, he won't over-book his schedule, so you can have reasonably good confidence in the timeline.

I'd be happy to serve as a reference. If anyone has specific questions not addressed in this post, please feel free to PM me.

--Keith

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another great Custom by Jarrod

[​IMG]

8. Dr. Lucky

Dr. Lucky Well-Known Member

Jarrod made me a fantastic looking Animated Elita-1. I had seen pictures here of what it would look like, but getting the real thing in hand still blew me away. Completely awesome!

9. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just received 3 alternator coneheads to go with Ramjet that I had Jarrod make earlier. I can't be more happy with them. Hopefully he will post pics so you can all enjoy and seeing the work will tell you far more than I can tell you

Josh
    Happy Customer

10. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    I think this thread deserves a bump. I commissioned him to do an Masterpiece Prowl for me. I made a post about the figure itself in its dedicated thread here. In summary, Prowl is bar-none the most amazing custom figure I own, and I've got a lot. It was over a year in the making, but it was so very worth it! I would highly recommend others to commission with him too, but that would cut into the time he has to work on my projects, so keep away! :lol 

In all seriousness, Jarrod is easily one of the most talented customizers out there. In fact, to call him a "customizer" is a bit of an understatement because some of his more advanced projects like the Masterpiece grade stuff are basically scratch-built works of art. This guy's proficiency with styrene is obscene!

The other point I wanted to make is that Jarrod has always been a pleasure to deal with. I've dealt with some customizers that go incommunicado for the better part of a year, or they promise me they're almost done, but I know damn well that's not true because they've said that month after month after month with not so much as a pic, and some just straight out stole my money after stalling for long enough. I've learned the hard way that commissioning with customizers is risky business. However, Jarrod is good people. He is responsive to communications. He is honest and fair and transparent. I trust him implicitly in both practical and artistic matters, and that trust has been earned over the many years I've commissioned with him.

Anyway, if you want a custom done right, get in touch with Jarrod. It's worth getting onto his backlog!

11. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jarrod just made an amazing custom MP Jetfire for me

The figure was reasonably priced, the work looks great, and Jetfire looks just like the toy I grew up with!

Thanks Jarrod!

Attached Files: