Japanese Transformers Animated Dub - What are your expectations?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mendinso, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Mendinso

Mendinso New Member

This will be an interesting first topic for me, having mostly lurked a bit.

For the individuals that are here that are out of the loop, Japan will be getting the series come Spring of 2010. Outside of that, there is no other information, outside the launch of the official site, which can be viewed here. I also want to point out that while there was only Optimus material on the website at launch, they have also added wallpaper and a movie for Bumblebee recently.

My guess as to why Japan waited so long to start broadcast is so Takara Tomy could air these in one go, as opposed to airing sets of 13 or so. Though, I am curious what Takara will do come episode 42...

Anyways, on to the topic at hand, having looked around quite a bit, it seems that there is a great fear that the dub of Transformers Animated will be treated as a hackjob, as it occured in past instances of bringing over the American made series there. I can understand the reasons to being afraid, due to the fact there is a well established history with bringing this series over to Japan, with it not being Japanese produced. What I am hoping for is due to the fact that Japan did have a certain level of control over the animation and such, we won't have to worry too much about this. We'll see, of course.

Now, as for my expectations, it's hard for me to guess what exactly is going to happen. I think what is a given is that we will probably be getting a new opening and ending credit sequence for the Japanese airing. Hopefully Takara might look into doing a new animation sequence for both, if they do go this route. What I am hoping for out of this is I hope we get a full production credit list for the animation, as that was one thing I was a bit disapointed that the english credits lacked. Also, I'm hoping that Japan will also air the HD version of these. The videos on the website given me the impression of otherwise, due the observation of overscan bars, but I'm just hoping it was just a "quick together thrown" trailer with not the best material available.

Another thing, I do wonder what they plan to do with the original script. Like, if they're going to tone down the jokes, be loose on the original script, go with a straight translation, or just completely disregard the original script. I intend to look at the Japanese dub and compare the English and Japanese scripts once this begins to air. Not really sure what I would prefer, but would most preferably not want the last.

For the voices, I'm kind of hoping Tesshou Genda reprises his role as Convoy/Optimus. While I wouldn't mind getting a new VA, he's still the current official VA for Convoy in Japan. I still feel that his voice could also work here. Not really sure with the other characters, however. Sari though, I've been playing with the idea of Motoko Kumai playing as her. I think she could work as her, though would give a slightly different vocal performance than what I found in the english version. However, I could see people wanting Sari to sound more or less the same, but you have to go with an open mind on these sort of things. Hopfully, we'll get a decent performance, as we have in the past.

I'm also holding out that the Japanese dub won't be a hackjob of sorts. Hopefully there won't be a need to remove or mess with the footage, though I could see some "minor" alterations occuring. I can't remember how the episode format is set up, if it's just 1 commercial break in the main episode, or more. Though, when TMNT2003 was dubbed in Japan, they left all the in episode commercial breaks without altering it, but that was Shopro as opposed to Takara... So who knows.

I guess we'll see. TL;DR, I''m hoping the dub turns out alright and get a bit more than what we got here (such as an HD/widescreen airing). Hopefully the airing start March or April, so we won't have to wait long for this.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe they'll go with it in a completely different direction, like they did with Beast Wars.

3. Optimus_Khan

Optimus_Khan Well-Known Member

I don't have any expectations other than the toys will have superior paint jobs.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'm expecting the Autobot's relationship with Sari will be incredibly creepy.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    They'll make at least two bots a gay couple.

6. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I just hope it's received well in Japan. That way if it does good, we might get a sequel out of it.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt the dub would 'mess with' Animated the same way it did on Beast Wars, as that was to make that show lighter and more 'kid friendly', and Animated is already there pretty much. I might expect the following:

Addition of "TRANSFORM!" when characters do so, especially for the stock cutaways if not every time.

Call-outs for the characters' signature weapons "REIKIING BAARU!!" :) 

Rewrites for dialogue that doesn't translate well either directly or culturally. (mostly some jokes/puns)

Possible voice affectations for humor (like Silverbolt ending sentences with ''-desu" in BW metals)

I'm not thinking we'll see more changes than that (ain't those enough?)

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    They're gonna 'up-play' the scene where Spittor uses his tentacles on Red Alert.

9. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

+1

10. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They should give the same or superior caliber of voice acting as that from Ghost in the Shell stand alone complex. :) 

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Blitzwing will get involved in a love triangle with himself

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't put it past the Japanese dubbers to bump up Lugnut's fanaticism for Megatron to love.

13. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt Tessho Genda will play Convoy again. I'd love to hear Seizo Kato as Megatron again, but I don't see that happening either. I've read somewhere that he has a nice collection of Megatron figures at his place, and at some point he got mad at Tessho Genda for not paying proper respect to the Transformers.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd imagine it will be cut down to 39 episodes (39 - three seasons of Japanese television, probably throw in a 13 episode show afterwards to fill out the rest of the 32). I could see the pilot being trimmed to be quite honest, and probably the more human villain heavy episodes.

I doubt the rest of the show will be changed much, other than the jokes being rewritten to pitch them at the Japanese children instead.

15. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    mixmaster and scraper.

16. SoundFire Prime

SoundFire Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee and Bulkhead? Megatron and Lugnut? Come on, we all know Lugnut was totally gay for Megatron...that, or he was just OCD to the extreme.

As far as my expectations go, I always got a kick out of how every Transformer on the Headmasters cartoon would yell "Transform!" when doing so on screen. And I'm really curious as to how they'll treat Sari. I'm sure they'll have a ball with the scene in Transform and Roll Out where she gets scooped up by the techno-organic mutant cockroach thingy...

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In terms of story, I don't think you actually CAN take any episodes out without leaving SOME kind of hole in the ongoing plot of the series, be it big or small.

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    EXPECTATIONS? Puh-leeze, trying to predict the japanese is just silly!

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have no expectations. I have had my Animated and am content to let the Japanese have theirs.

My expectations are for the toys. I hope they give us the other voyager clones.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Exactly how I feel. Ramjet and Slipstream please.