Japanese Transformers 1988 - (Chōjin Masterforce)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Definitely watch it, you won't be sorry :) 

Awesome article as always, looking forward to more!

2. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. It just wasn't a USA show. I watched it on Latin America and I know Europe got some love as well. Almost the same story except some name changes. Off the top of my head Ginrai was Optimus, King Poseidon was Piranacon, Zarak was Scorponok, Sixknight was Sixshot, and I don't remember if Overlord was called that.

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I never said it was a U.S show, because it isn't, it's Japanese. You have things mixed up badly. If you watched Masterforce in whatever country your from, you would have the original Japanese animation with your own language subtitles and that's if it's available. Black Zarak is not Scorponok, Sixknight is not Sixshot. These are all totally different characters. You are mixing up Europe/US G1 toy names with the Japanese Cartoon/toys. Does that make sense?

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Great article as always Maz! I loved Masterforce much more than I thought I would. Over the last year I've been fortunate enough to add Overlord and Metalhawk to my collection, they've instantly become some of my favorite Transformer toys. I hope to someday own Goshooter and Minerva as well. Doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to score a Grand Max though!

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yep, it's totally cool seeing you on the inside of G1 with these articles. There is some very interesting things to write about within the 1984-1990 US series alone (some of which you've covered, of course). I'd like to see some 1986-1990 articles. Also . . . .

Yeah, this just needs to happen, and we both know it :D 

6. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

No. No. I didn't explain myself. I meant that the show is not Japan exclusive. If it was no other country other than Japan would have broadcast it.

With the names I was just showing some of the differences. Once again I managed to get interpreted in a completely opposite way.

7. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Very cool articles, as always. I've been debating on whether to start after some Japanese figures after I've completed what I want from G1 - and these articles are a great primer!

Thanks!

8. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Great read Maz :thumb 

Makes me appreciate these pieces even more :) 

9. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    ... You saying that there was a Masterforce series made by another studio?

10. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    think he's saying that the show was dubbed and shown in different countries other than Japan. but yeah this guy doesnt know much about Japanese exclusive toys/ characters from the G1 era, does he? :p 

11. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    Ye been saying this. Still, I would like to see what this version is like if he has proof.

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    maybe it's like Saber rider / Voltron, etc dubs during the 90's? :confused: 

13. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    It is absolutely common for animations to get a dub other than the original language that it came with. There are LOTS of valid examples:

I used to visit my younger cousins in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) back in late 80s to early 90s, Victory series was dubbed in Malay & Mospeada (if you boys know what it is) was aired in Cantonese.

Back in late 90s, Mospeada was aired in Singapore in the wee hours of morning & yes, its done in Mandarin.

Gundam Seeds Destiny is in Japanese by default but when it gets its chance to be aired in Kids' Central, (a local channel that loads animations for children) it was in English. (So did Transformers R.I.D)

Then it got discontinued (bad viewership I guess) & made its way to a Chinese channel & thus it got broadcasted in Mandarin.

Gundam Wing series was aired in Mandarin as well...

You get all the funny direct "translation" of the robots' names & it becomes messy & bizarre. :dunce 

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^Exactly! :D 

15. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    My interpretation of what he said was that in the dubbed version he was watching, the names given to those Masterforce characters were the actual closest G1 counterparts the dub team could relate them to. Could be related to what toys were available in his country at the time.

If my interpretation is incorrect, there is still no need to mock his knowledge of Japanese exclusives if that is indeed the case.

All the best
    Maz

16. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory were officially dubbed into Spanish and aired in some Spanish speaking countries.

Makes me wish I knew Spanish. The voice acting sounds way better than the terrible English dubs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  17. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

I think you are correct about what he was trying to say Maz, as I got the same impression, and got confused about peoples replies. Oh, and I'm no liguist, but know a meager amout of Spanish, and I think the clip that Faker linked to is in Italian.

And hey Maz, don't feel bad about ignoring Pretenders. The animated Blood makes the Bomburst toy look like a joke.

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    only mild ribbing, no harm intended. sorry if it came off a little smug. :) 
    but yeah this is obviously a case of bad translation when the show was being dubbed. I thibk I have to Wikipedia 'Chojin Masterforce' the anime and see when it was indeed dubbed for other countries, doesn't surprise me there that different people would see what they saw, which was a mishmash of (possibly) different transformers cartoons into one? not a crime by any means, of course. :lol 

19. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Oops!:eek:  Though I was certain that the series had been dubbed into Spanish. I had no idea that it was dubbed into Italian as well. So when I came across that youtube video I heard them rolling their R's and it sounded Spanish to me. I didn't investigate any further. Making myself look like an idiot is a natural talent of mine.

20. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    What an awesome article! I've been collecting Masterforce on and off for a couple of years now. And it's starting to get hard! (and expensive) Being the sort of collector that doesn't mind some kit bashing I opted to get all the US counterparts I could and then extend the line with some of my own handiwork. My Minerva, Goshooter and Gran are the Recent KO's. These still need to be painted a little. But my Black Zarak started life as a yellowed Scorponok junker! A KO headmaster and Darkov's awesome repro parts as well as a set of reprolabels. My Black Zarak is a perfect replica without any GPS!

A couple of weeks ago I bought a MIB (a bit yellowed) Ranger and I had bought a Sixknight in Japan last year. So now only the expensive stuff is left. Metalhawk, Grand Max, Darkwings.... I'm still crossing my fingers for reissues!

iDD