Japanese Transformers 1988 - (Chōjin Masterforce)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Finally leaving Diaclone alone for a bit, here are the last 2 weeks worth of TFsource blog articles on the 1988 Japanese Transformers anime Super God Masterforce.

Now I've always been much more about the toys than the animated series, but I'm always willing to give cartoons a chance having originally found my way to loving transformers through the G1 cartoon. I found Masterforce especially difficult to love, but when it finally happened, I enjoyed the series thoroughly.

I hope I haven't made too many errors with the story or toys as I'm a little out of my depth and comfort zone with Masterforce, and I'm certain there's nothing at all groundbreaking in these 2 articles that people don't already know, but it was a nice way for me to pay tribute to a series I was finally able to enjoy and tribute to some gorgeous collection photos from my favourite Japanese Transformers collectors.

Japanese Transformers 1988 (Chōjin Masterforce) – Part 1 <- CLICK TO READ

Japanese Transformers 1988 (Chōjin Masterforce) – Part 2 <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great article! This past year's Botcon set makes a little more sense now. Though it does make me question why we didn't get more Masterforce figures in the set instead of just the faction leaders.

3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Maz, I can't stress enough how great a figure Overlord is. He has a slightly early transformer feel to him (I think it's the face) that makes him incredibly appealing, even if you're not a fan of later G1. I scored mine near complete (just missing the guns) for £50 BIN a year ago - absolute steal!

I've really been trying to complete the masterforce line up, its easily my favourite of the Japanese G1 lines (though there is a soft spot for the victory guys... sooooo expensive though!) I'm happy to use my western seacons, hosehead and pretenders though... Its loose figures all the way we these guys for me - they're a lot of fun to mess around with!

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    wonderful article as always. Loving the pics, of course! :D 

5. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Again, much thanks to Maz for the great read. :D 

Now, with regards to the toys in that series (especially Metalhawk)

I've to admit that after so many passing years, I can never find myself getting over that wall...(Owning him, that is.) :lol 

6. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    I would want the Pretender shell only to be honest. Well, the robot is nothing to shout about, right? :p 

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed on the figures, overlord is definitely one of the perks of my collection

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    So I still need the Autobot Head Masters Jr, two of the Autobot Godmasters, Ranger and Road King, Japanese Doubleclouder/ Grand Maximus and the Darkwings, Autobot Pretenders and Metalhawk, Browning, Destron Pretenders and Destron Headn Master Jrs. to collect to complete my collection?! Good luck with that, I say! :lolol 

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Masterforce is goddamn awesome, and so is your column.

10. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Nice article. I found it funny that you hated it without even watching it...It is the only reason to buy pretenders, otherwise they are pure crap imo.

I had my chances to purchase Doubleclouder, Metalhawk, Ranger and Roadking a few yrs ago. I wish I did :cry  Ranger and Roadking were on TFsource for less than 200 each...Complete too! Black Zarak... I can live without him. The thought of paying a 4 value sum and then the GPS syndrome... "shudders"

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^Me too! I was actually eyeing all the above-mentioned pieces as well. :p 

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As much as I thoroughly enjoy your articles on the history of Transformers (notably the pre-TF stuff), it's so very nice to see you write some articles within G1, post 1984-85ish. :thumb 

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I love MF to..it is just so outstanding and if It were a Jap only show I would have wanted to collect it would have been MAsterforce.

14. Deszaras79

Deszaras79 I ♥ Brickformers

Thanks!
    Great article.

15. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    No, you don't wanna open up the flood gate. :p 

16. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    What you mean? It is a Japanese only show.

17. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Oh believe me I can see how fantastic it is, a gorgeous robot mode, great size, more positive reviews than any other figure in the line, loads of cool parts, I love the Powermaster gimmick and has a lovely couple of modes. It's just prioritisation for me though, I spend on Diaclone now and virtually nothing else. MP Sideswipe will be the exception :) 

That's exactly it, many toys I originally didn't bat an eyelid at, and an inherent dislike of anime and manga styling turned me off initially. I was bored at home over a holiday though and finally had the time to give it a good chance...lo and behold, I fell in love with it.

I generally don't like the Metalhawk toy, but his character and animation model was so awesome, I just couldn;t resist the urge to try and buy one. Failed miserably of course :) 

I heard a story from Paul Hitchens that a guy at BotCon many years ago bought a MISB Zarak and opened it in front of a bunch of assembled collectors, only to have it crumble on him as he took it out the box. Tragic...

Me too man, it's just a case of knowing my facts. I was expecting at least 2 or three gaping holes in the Masterforce articles, so if I survive sharing these publicly, I'll look at doing something more later-TF related. I'm bored of writing Diaclone stuff too :) 

With BT articles, I could go on forever, but I would want to use my own photography. That requires setting up the light tent etc and my daughter has other ideas on how I should spend my time!

I think he meant that if he was going to collect any toys from a Japanese-only anime or series, it would be Masterforce :) 

Thank you for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate the time you all took to read and give feedback. Nobody does it like TFW!

All the best
    Maz

18. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    Ye...I...don't...think...I....could.....handle that..................................

19. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    Despite having never watched Masterforce ... yet (the DVDs are on my shelf). I just picked up an unused Grand Maximus and now I'm seriously contemplating looking for an unused Overlord. That flood gate is not looking too kindly at me at the moment ... :sly: 

Thanks for the write-up Maz. Good read.

20. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I have great memories of watching this series with the awful dub back in the mid 90s. Sadly, I can't bring myself to spend that much cash for these great toys. Great article Maz, will have to console myself with just looking at the great photos every once in a while :)