Japanese TF Series - is there something redeeming about them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Dec 13, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Try as I might to appreciate the Japanese TF continuity (thus far, "Headmasters" and "Victory") ... I can't.

I'm watching it, and just thinking "This makes me hate Transformers", then I feeling "But... how?" / "Why?!"

The G1 Western cartoon was hokey at times, but I think it's a combination of the voice acting, and the utter lack of ridiculous standbys found in Japanese giant-robo cartoons.

I love the concepts the Japanese series ran with (headmasters as a concept, for one, and Star Saber) - but I can't get past the overall weirdness.

Am I missing out on some under appreciated episode or sequences in the Japanese TF series?

Attached Files:

• yep.jpg
      yep.jpg
      File size:
      67.6 KB
      Views:
  2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    It really is a Japanese thing. The Japanese see robot series as something totally different than what westerners tend to see it as. It has a lot to do with the culture of Japan, that weapons are an extension of a person's being rather than a tool, and that power to grasp victory comes from within.

A lot of that weirdness again stems from that culture. It's a culture that's steeped in philosophy that power comes from within the self, and also well versed in mythology. Transformers to the Japanese, at the time, really fit the bill of the "mythical" Super Robot sub genre, considering they are all giant, sentient, transforming robots afterall.

Truth be told, it's really difficult to imagine that this is the same Transformers westerners know and love. It's more of a super robot show whereas the western world treats it more like a real robot show.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm with you for the most part. Well, actually, I do kind of enjoy the Japanese shows a bit as their own weird thing. But they do not feel like Transformers shows at all to me. They mangled the core concepts, the mythology and the tone. Whatever crazy magic the original Transformers series and movie somehow managed to create, Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory completely failed to understand or duplicate.

The Japanese mangled Transformers as badly as we mangled Gatchaman or Southern Cross or something.

4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    ^^^ You hit the nail on the head. It's hard to put into words but PlanckEpoch did it.

Is there something redeeming? Well yes and no. Headmasters sucked, plain and simple. The Japanese series DID get better from there but still were never as good as American G1(as flawed as they were at times) IMO.

They did feel like "generic Japanese robot anime" at times though.

I can totally understand how it can be difficult for you to watch these. After I watched them all I was kinda like "what did I just watch?" but there really were some good points after the horrific start that was Headmasters. They are worth watching(skip Headmasters though).

Beast Wars was a breath of fresh air after all this.....weirdness.

That's my :2c: 

5. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ironically, Headmasters is the only one of the three that even remotely resembles a Transformers show and makes an attempt (that fails) to be one. The others are so far off in their own non-TF direction that they really should have called themselves something completely different.

7. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I too noticed that. The Headmasters really had this human emphasis to them. Masterforce I can understand the lines where the Godmasters point out the obvious that they bleed red blood cause they're human.

But hearing Chromedome, who's completely robotic in nature feels weird when they make references to human things like... Fruit Pear Puns...

Unless if the writers inserted that the Autobot Headmasters had time to look up what a fruit pear was, that doesn't make sense...

8. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love raiden [trainbots] and sixknight

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    As other posters pointed above, Headmasters is the closest you'll get to a Transformers show in the Japanese series run. Masterforce really focused a lot on the humans and their ability to get special abilities through the Transtectors. Victory while featuring robots, play them more as generic good vs evil robots rather than Autobots vs Decepticons. It was also supposedly influenced by the Gundam series in terms of Star Saber's overall look and weapons.

In retrospect it can get a bit silly (Ultra Magnus' Christian funeral, super deformed look when certain robots or characters goof up), but to me, they were very significant because I saw them during the early-mid 90s when Beast Wars had yet to come out. They were my Transformers fix, and well, to a young teen, they were still entertaining. It was particularly interesting to see characters like Powermaster Prime as a different character, and seeing Japanese Transformer toys I saw in shops earlier brought to life onscreen and given personalities.

10. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    All the intros exept beast wars and beast wars metals (beast wars ii and beast wars neo intros were good though)

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

toei made g1 japanese tfs to zone series before co in usa got rights to all g1 jtfs to headmasters series

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Masterforce managed to make a TF show about humans that was interesting, entertaining, and true to the franchise and the gimmicks in the toyline, even if it did suffer from a lot of the anime tropes that plague the Japanese series.

Also the StarTV dub of Headmasters is hysterical.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  13. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Hysterical is right

"Uncle Six Shot"

"Power Pack"

"New Soundwave"

"Billy"

:lol 

14. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love japanese headmasters series - japanese fort maximus is cool

15. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

b:

YMMV. I think Masterforce is really, really great. It made very good use of the Pretenders. My kids love it, too. Jack and Miko are all right, sure, it's fun to imagine you could hang out with the Bots, but to be actually able to go *clink* and armor-up into a giant mech that looks just like them? It's magic!

(They were walking around saying "Master-force!" for a couple days after watching that. :D )

For kids, it's got the great thing that Power Rangers has, that TF never manages, that the kids aren't just observers; they're involved in the story. How cool is that?!

I also like the JP concept of the robotic *masters as small robots who made big Transtectors to combine with. Armada and the minicons fit nicely with that, I find.

Also, Japan sometimes lets somebody else besides Optimus Prime be cool. I'm looking at you, Transformers Prime. :) 

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Darn that Soundwave! HRRRRRRRRNGH."

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Three words that will change your life:

Flying

Buddha

Transformation

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMO they are not nearly as bad as everyone says they are. Keep in mind the target audience is KIDS. A bunch of us old cranky guys over-analyzing children's toy commercials probably wasn't the audience they were writing for

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

"Tsk tsk tsk tsk. My name's now Blaster. Don't you call me Billy anymore."
    "Alright Blaster, but I still prefer Billy."
    ::awkward laughter::
    Don't you call me Billy anymore - YouTube

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Star Saber and Deathsaurus.....and Minerva.

Never watched the series but i know i'd like them if i watched the series.

I absoluteley love Cybertron/Galaxy Force.