Japanese Super Mario 2 on NES????

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by <3prime, Jul 30, 2009.

1. <3prime

<3prime Banned

hello
    we all know that the NES version of super mario 2 is not the true sequel, but i was wondering if any company or private group has ever made a reproduction cartridge of the Japanese Super Mario 2 to be played on our NES?

i know there have been some repro. carts. made of some unreleased games, so i thought maybe someone did it for japanese super mario 2.

anyone have any answers?

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're emulating, I'm pretty sure the Japanese SMB2 ended up being released on a compilation for a later console, SNES I think.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I remember reading about this. It was a rock solid version of Super Mario Bros, and the only western release of it is on Super Mario All Stars or something.

Should be able to find it on emulator though. Not that I'm talking about such things.

4. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    It was released as part of Super Mario All Stars for the SNES and was called Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. It was released on the Wii's Virtual Console in 2007. There are none official reproductions. I won't post a link as I don't know if that is allowed but just Google it and you should find it.

Edit: After looking at the site it requires a "donor cart" to have someone put SMB 2 on it. Still I didn't look through many of the links. A little digging and you should be able to find something.

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

It was also released on GBC in SMB Deluxe once you beat the original game.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i used to have a pirate cart of it as a kid. i'd be willing to bet that's what repros are based off of, because the original game was actually an fds release and would require some major hacking to port over to a cart intact. i'll warn you, it wasn't exactly the same as the original japanese version. luigi didn't have his high jump, there were no red pirahna plants, and it only had the first 8 levels, none of the bonus stuff for beating the game without warps or multiple times. the gbc version of the smb dx cart is also like this.

i'd go for the wii vc release if you want accuracy. the super mario all-stars version also has all the levels, but it's a tad easier, as you can continue from the level that you died at if you get game over instead of having to start the world over again. trust me, you'll die many times. also, in the original you have to beat the game multiple times before being able to access the secret worlds. on the all-stars cart you only have to beat it once. so really, the all-stars version is more "normal" and "fair", but if you want the challenge, the vc is the way to go. either way, it's still a pretty hard game the first few times through.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yes, but not with the same graphics as SMB2 on the FDS. It uses the SMB1 graphics instead.