Japanese post-86 box-set quality check please.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, May 29, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hi there guys and gals.

Well, I'm ready to finally commit to watching the Japanese post movie G1 continuity. I tried to start watching it a few weeks ago, but trying to locate dubious copies or watching it with a crappy quality on Youtube was vexing.

But, I have found a solution on Ebay. All three series, in a box set, $50 shipped. I purchased a Chinese G1 set a few years back and the quality was great, however, I've heard that the Japanese era stuff had a notoriously bad version, even had a nickname but I can't recall. (Singapore dub maybe?) I'll watch it subbed anyway.

So, I was hoping some of the fans of the particular era could take a quick look at this auction and tell me if it's up to par....although it does look new as it uses the Bay movie style box graphics...
    Here's the set:

Transformers Headmaster,Master Force,Victory 6Dvd Box - eBay (item 220595539588 end time Jun-24-10 10:17:11 PDT)

Thanks for your time!

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I didn't know there was a Region 0 version of these series. With English subs too!

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Yeah, it looks pretty new what with the modern style logos etc.

He got two positive feedbacks from people who bought this set, at $50 shipped I think I'm just going to do it. It's really hard not to just hit that buy it now button....

4. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

Madman out of Australia also has a box set with the three series on it, and that were region free as well.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Interesting. Which of these two sets has more accurate subtitles? Better overall quality? Best value?

6. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The japanese G1 was called RTM1 Dubs, Star TV Dubs or Singapore Dubs despie being a Hong kong based company that dubbed it.

8. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, that one will subtitle him as God Ginrai instead of the horrid one that says Optimus Prime?

TV Nihon is my sub of choice... I'd just burn them all to DVD if I had a way to make custom cases...

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Agreed, the Nihon dubs are the best! If you can find a torrent or other download, and don't mind dealing with non-DVD format.

Barring that, I'd go with the UK sets.

I started with dodgy VHS's of the BAD Star-Dubs (Mr. Sparkle and Billy anyone?), graduated to decent VHS raws (and enjoyed the expereince so much more), eventually upgraded to raw Japanese DVD's, and now feel as though I've gone to JTF heaven with my choice of several subbed high quality digital and DVD versions.

'Tis a good time to be a JTF fan :) 

D/L

10. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Those sets that ChopperByrne mentions are Metrodome's UK releases. They are good quality, with an excellent commentary by Chris McFeely on selected episodes and all the names are as they were in Japan, bar the use of Autobots and Decepticons instead of Cybertron and Destron. For Headmasters, the western names remain in place for all characters. The box set of all three series also has the Zone OVA episode.

11. heroic_decepticon

heroic_decepticon Cybertronian

As some has said here, those Jap episodes with the horrible dubbing are done by Star TV. It never aired in Singapore but did air in Malaysia (TV3) and the Philipines in the late 80s.

I've watched these dubs. They are terrible. I've also watched a number of "chinese" released versions from 2000 to 2004 and they are equally bad in terms of dubbing, subtitles and video quality.

Speaking from personal experience, the authoritative version for Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory is the Madman released versions from Australia. You can chose to either watch it in "Star TV" dubbed version or in original Japanese version. The subtitles can be selected to be US names subtitles or Japanese name subtitles (eg: Chromedome = Chrome in Jap for example).

Seriously, if you're going to spend money at all, buy the Madman set. It'd avoid you having to buy a better version when you get sick of the bad video quality and/or dubbing (I have 4 different shitty versions of these until Madmad released the most authoritative version), or even worse still, turn you off watching these good series' altogether.

Here are links to the Madman release: Transformers Japan G1 (Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory) (scroll down if you want to buy individual series' separately. I do recommend just getting the mega set with all 3 Jap series'. Oh, and each set comes with very cool booklets with G1 box art from them, which back in the day, Botch and I contributed to Madman, sorry shameless plug).

The Madman set is AU$99 exclusive of shipping, not as cheap as the Chinese ones, but you can't really put a dollar value on quality over more than 100 episodes of Transformers.

Ok, my belief that this is the set to get is so strong that I went and whipped out my set to take some pictures for you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Whats in those booklets?

13. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow. They do look cool. Madman really put some care into their stuff. Their Beast Wars box sets look amazing too. Thanks for the pics :) 

14. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Those have different box art to the European release. Nice.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks, heroic_deceptic. Lot of good information there. I'm definitely going for a Region 0 version that I can play on my DVD and TV. Are there any similar reviews out there for the chinese set?

16. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I thought those 2 sets, although region free, were in PAL and not NTSC?

Correct me if I'm wrong here because I'm not sure.

17. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I also have the Metrodome release. Good quality all around on voice and picture. Had to convert my Magnavox DVD player to region free. No biggie.

18. heroic_decepticon

heroic_decepticon Cybertronian

Episode guides with episode summaries laid out in very G1-esque style.

No prob for the pics. Madman is known for their high quality anime series releases. They have a dedicated team of translators and designers working on each series. Even the interactive menus are very well done and designed with the feel and intent of each series in mind.

Ok, the subtitles for the Chinese series looks like someone ran the language through an online language converter. No sentence structure, subtitles make no sense. I've tried watching that, with the Star TV english dubs and it almost drove me maniacal. I can't really say more because these were so bad, I threw them out. It'd be an injustice to sell it to someone and make them sit through what I sat through.

There could be later released Chinese series, ie post 2005, that might be different. Of those, I don't have information on.

The Madman release is in Region 4, PAL format. I don't imagine format and region to be an issue at all in this day and age of multi-format/region players (but I could be wrong).