Japanese poll about new consoles

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Jul 14, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I knew the results just by looking at who posted it.

3. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I don't trust the Japanese when it comes to video games, they can't even comprehend the greatness of the 360.

4. flamepanther

Actually, according to these numbers, Sony is beating out Nintendo in one of the areas Nintendo has specifically tried to target and claims as one of its strengths (girls), which is very surprising and doesn't live up to what Nintendo is trying to do.

5. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Those numbers are pretty much standard everywhere. People, by and large, really are hooked on the Wii, much more than any other next-gen console. I mean, here's numbers for what was most anticipated for E3. Look familiar? Kinda similar to the number flamepanther posted?
    EDIT: that site took down the results, you can find them here.

I also think it's somewhat telling that Microsoft's Peter Moore says that everyone is quite obviously going to buy an XBox and a Wii. What's really funny is that Sony's Phil Harrison came back saying that Microsoft is right, people are going to buy a Wii, but they'll do it in addition to buying a PS3. I laugh at this, because everyone KNOWS the Wii will dominate, they're just fighting for Nintendo's scraps.

Of course, keep in mind that only hardcore gamers will be doing this. Sony fanboys WILL buy a PS3, Nintendo fanboys WILL buy a Wii. Microsoft fanboys HAVE bought a 360. Their second system choice will be largely determined by price. $500 vs $300 vs $200, who wins? Now let's think of the casual gamers, the ones who like to play what's fun and current, but aren't fanatics, what is going to be their determining factor? Did someone say price? Again, Nintendo has the lead. Not to say that EVERY casual gamer will get a Wii, but I will say confidently that this holiday season when parents are thinking of something to buy for their kid, that Wii is gonna look mighty fine compared to the PS3.

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I think casual gamers will go for a combination of graphics and most popular most hyped franchises over price. I mean last generation a new guy(MS) took the second place spot away from nintendo(In the US) and cost more. PS3 creamed Dreamcast, even though it came out later, cost more and initially shipped with inferior gfx.

7. flamepanther

The casual gamer is not especially brand-loyal collectively. If the mainstream audience always went with the biggest name brand of the previous generation, Atari would still be the industry leader. Barring that, Nintendo would be. If you make too many mistakes with a system (Atari 5200, Nintendo 64), even the returning champion has to hand over the belt.

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm sure that's the 1/5th of the article you were really focusing on, too. ;) 

At any rate, in the three "female" categories, Sony was only beating Nintendo in one of them.

9. flamepanther

It certainly isn't what I was excited about, but I definitely found it interesting. I'm a bit puzzled at it. As for the other female categories, I don't think anyone but Nintendo cares what console business women and housewives are interested in. :p 

Another fun fact: If you look at the chart Joystiq made from some of Otoni Fami's data, it looks like Pac-Man! :D 
    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/13/japan-ps3-wii-poll-comparisons/

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Wait!!

Most gamers being interested in Wii is a given.... but....girls play/are interested in games? I call bull.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Well, you'd be wrong ;) 

Has SingStar and EyeToy made it to Japan?

12. flamepanther

Ha!
    [​IMG]

(sorry if that's too much skin. Doesn't seem worse than Jux's signature pic though)

13. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Thank you for that.

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Why is there a skeleton under those controllers?

15. flamepanther

Yeah, she's too skinny. But she's a girl, and it was the first pic I found.

I'd still hit it though:confused2 

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

not bad...IDB and all :D 

(and she's just sucking it in)

GO WII

17. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Part of Nintendo's 'blue sea' strategy is to target areas where every inch isn't being fought over. Target women, elderly, and whatnot. I think it's a brilliant strategy, and it's already been vindicated to Nintendo. Look at their success in Nintendogs, Brain Age, and othe games like that.