Japanese Masterpice Quality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyberglyph, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Cyberglyph

Cyberglyph I am the Nightshade

News Credits:
    I wanted to know about the quality of the Japanese masterpieces before I decide to buy one. I heard of some toys witch had quality problems that were fixed in a later version. I wanted to know if this was just one toy, or multiple, before I decide to buy one. I dont want a $100+ toy to be worthless with some broken part. Thanks!

2. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

So far the only MP that has had serious issues that I'm aware of was Rodimus and that was both Hasbro and Takara V1 and V2... All had slightly different issues. I prefer Takara's MP over Hasbro but they are more expensive.

3. Cyberglyph

News Credits:
    I thought I heard something else. Megatron, I think.

4. hoosierdaddy04

Ahh yes the cosmic rust... While it's not really rust it's discoloration due to the oil they applied to the die cast. I just got my MP-05 in recently and he had that issue. I took him mostly apart and used a dremmel and a buffing wheel and was able to "clean" him up, re-oiled and he's good as new.

5. Cyberglyph

News Credits:
    Alright, thanks guys. Now I'm not as scared of getting MP's.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    MP-08 Grimlock is solid and has zero quality issues that i am aware of. mine certainly does not.

7. Cyberglyph

News Credits:
    What was the problem with Rodimus? I think it was the knee joints but I'm not sure. Can someone clarifly?

8. hoosierdaddy04

ATM I cannot recall all the issues people had with MP-09v1 and v2. Some of the issues were with weak ankles and panels falling off. I do know that Hasbro's Rodimus has an issue with his shoulder just falling off... Now I have not had a problem with mine it has happened to a few board members

9. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Green Starscream breaks a lot.

10. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I believe there reports of screws inside Grimlock's robot mode legs scratching the chrome on his tail when it was folded up for robot mode. I'm not sure if it was fixed in a later release or the US version, but aside from the Megatron and Rodimus issues as well as the seeker mold's wing stress marks those are the only quality issues I've heard about with the Japanese masterpieces.

11. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I do believe that later runs of Grimlock fixed that problem with the screws.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah the Hasbro version (and later releases of Takara's I assume) replaced the scratchy tail screws with flat rivets.

13. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

The springs in the ankles were really tight so it was hard to pose him. The panels on the legs would fall off easily. The Backpack would not clip into the back. And the spoiler got scratched when putting him into the trailer. I have none of these with my V2 Rodimus and I heard some people don't have these issues with their V1 Rodimus.

14. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    From what I've read (and witnessed) some of these problems are still apparent in V2 of MP9. I know my ankles have loosened on mine only after a few transformations, and apparently the paint on the spoiler will still rub off if you don't sand the trailer down a bit. Still looks great though! :thumbs2: 

15. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

MP Megatron has plenty of clips that can snap, mostly on his legs.

16. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stick to new releases when dropping Masterpiece kind of money if you're worried about QC problems. Buy from reputable stores that will do exchanges if you get a defective one.

As far as older MPs, Grimlock seems pretty solid from either Hasbro or Takara.

17. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Well, each of them had something, to be honest...

MP01-2-4: Earliest releases had problems that the chest doors would not close completely. First run of Magnus had issues with paint chipping and sticky paint adhesion on his die-cast parts.

MP03: Made from different, thinner plastic, wing root joints would snap even when extreme caution was used. Skywarp and Thundercracker were exempt from this because they were top coated with gloss paint, which strengthened their joints. First run Skywarp had no issues. Second run Skywarp and [only run] Thundercracker had the chest intakes assembled wrong.

MP05: Megatron had many of the little tabs that secure pieces on in gun mode snap, weak pelvis joints and discolouration on his metal parts.

MP08 Grimlock: First run had some screws that when transformed, faced some of his chromed parts on his tail and rubbed the paint off. All subsequent releases fixed that.

MP09 Rodimus: First run had springs coming out of his ankles, leg panels stupidly bound together by a screw that stripped the plastic off easily and he could not hold his guns properly and they'd fall off. Spoiler paint getting scratched was evident, and the tab to hold his backpack wouldn't work as it should.

18. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget the mould damage to Mp01-4 which meant that scratches were moulded into his upper left arm from the factory.

19. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    Never had any mechanical issues with my MP's... But I don't really transform them often. So no, I've never had anything break.

Now, there have been a few assembly issues with Hasbro's Rodimus, sprue flashing left on the faces and a poorly shot rivet in the windshield being the two big ones.

I know, MP-07... was that Thundercracker? His chest intakes are backwards on every one of them that I've seen. But it's hardly an issue.

And of course, the feet on Megatron.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Misaligned chest doors on MP-04 (or at least the reissues).