Japanese Classics - Grimlock and Mirage confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by agesthreeandup, Oct 23, 2007.

1. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    C-05 will be Grimlock and C-06 will be Leijier.

Both are said to have anime accurate paints as well.

Spencer.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I would be more interested in these if I actually had pics of what first figure's "anime" accurate painting was gonna look like.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Come on Thundercracker, give me Thundercracker, Takara!

...hey, it's possible. Hasbro got to do Cybertron Excellion as long as the colors were off from their Red Exillion exclusive, and that toy was in fewer numbers than Botcon 'Cracker. It might have to be anime light blue or it's own paint pattern instead of direct G1 decals, but it is possible.

4. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    Takara has not provided any images yet. The images they send with the offers are images of the Hasbro product.

Spencer.

5. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    just looked thru the site, didn't see them for preorder, what are the prices going to be...estimate?

6. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    Voyager size are all $35 and deluxe size are $25. That is just about standard Japanese prices. I have not got them set up as preorders yet, just stating the news.

Spencer

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Again, I'm not too sure how they'll make Grimlock & Mirage any more "accurate" than they already look in terms of colors. There might be some *small* differences just as with BB, Starscream & Prime, but I doubt it'll be anything drastic enough to warrant many people over here rebuying them. I still think Megatron will be the major "whoa!" difference.

What they should do with Grimlock is just completely remold him instead :) 

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

If they do that, then I think Hasbro should at least bring over that G1 Bumblebee with the remolded head, among other things.

9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm gonna go nuts if I keep seeing "anime accurate" - G1 was not anime. Yes, many episodes were animated in Japan, and the toys originated from there - but that means nothing. The episodes were written and produced in the US. The American version is not a dub, the Japanese one is.

Nothing personal against anyone that uses the term for G1 show colors - but it's just a long standing beef with me. Everytime I've ever seen a G1 box set or whatever in the anime section of a store, it's bugged me - it belongs in the "family" section with GI Joe and Batman and such, it's just simply NOT anime

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Sounds good. I passed up Mirage and now regret it after seeing so many pictures, and I never did find a Grimlock at all. Hopefully the paint applications will make these a worthy purchase. :D 

11. ArmadaSideswipe

ArmadaSideswipe The underloved...

Although what you say is the truth, and Transformers is indeed an American show, do remember that in Japan, anything animated is considered "anime", as anime is actually the Japanese word for animation. They seriously call Tom and Jerry "anime" over there. Thus, Takara are in the right to say "anime accurate" schemes, if they're the ones saying it.

Nevertheless, in the English language, anime ONLY means Japanese cartoons, so you're RIGHT about those stores putting Transformers in the wrong section. Though, it could be worse: Some people have mistaken Masters of the Universe for anime somehow. O_O

12. Ktulu

News Credits:
    I realize that - and I have no problem with that at all.

What you address in your second paragraph is all that bothers me. As you stated - outside of Japan, "anime" pretty much means "animated show/film purely created in Japan" or however you want to put it, and absolutely - that just doesn't apply to the original Transformers show. My bitchy fanboy qualities go into full gear when I see people indicate otherwise :( 

I need therapy

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Makes me wonder how much really needs to be done to make toys like Mirage and Grimlock cartoon-accurate (so said so Ktulu's head won't explode :)  ) Mirage doesn't seem like he needs much change. Grimlock might gain a red pelvis and swap the gold bits out for pure yellow (if we're really talking a cartoon-basis here), which would be making a bad toy worse IMO. (not a fan of Classics Grim myself, except for the nifty head sculpt)

14. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Yeah I really don't see what they'd do to Mirage either. Maybe strip him of the markings like Lithonian drivetrain or whatever? I'd rather not see that really, those little things are part of the charm of the toy.

I guess the blue could be darker, with the crotch going from grey to white/blue, and the pieces to the side all blue, but those changes would be awfully minimal

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  15. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Not wanting to stir up anything, but could that really happen?

16. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I'd be interested in getting a correctly assembled Grimlock.

Though... wouldn't it apply to TOMY/TAKARA making transformers in JAPAN based on the JAPANESE cartoon that is correctly called ANIME by them?

If it's right for THEM to call the product "anime-accurate", then shouldn't we as well? What, we have to change it to "cartoon-accurate"? If we have to translate that, then wouldn't it also be improper to refer to him as Ligier? So we should call the product "Cartoon-accurate Mirage"?

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

TRUTH! PREACH IT!

I know those shoulders aren't right, but I have no idea what needs to be done to fix it. Perhaps a slight remolding, which Takara is not above doing, could fix the only big complaint I had with the mold. But, if they're going to do that, perhaps they could shave a bit of the jowl area so his feet could actually go flat instead of forming high-heels.

I'm very interested in what this "anime accurate" thing means, as those two toys are pretty close already. Unless they mean Grimlock gets shiny silver paint. In which case, WOOHOO!

18. LeoPrime

LeoPrime Get bad with Cyber-bee!

Well I dunno about anyone else, but the first thing that comes to my head when someone says "show accurate Grimlock" is blue eyes/visor in robot and dinosaur modes.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mirage could get his car mode logos changed to the Citanes/elf logos. Not cartoon accurate, but I might bite for that.

20. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

All I hope is that Takara/Tomy makes ThunderCracker,Thrust,and Dirge.