Japanese BW Boldfang

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by payres, Jun 2, 2007.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The preamble to this review is long. Be warned

Boldfang is a Japanese Beast Wars reissue. Note the lack of Reissue in the review title. This is because he's a repaint of an existing toy in brand new colours as a brand new character on the opposite side. He's repainted from Howlinger which is the Japanese version of the Maximal Wolfang. Wolfang itself was remolded as K9 who in turn was remolded as Cyberbeast Max-B - a Destron.

Wolfang also has a special place in British hearts: He appeared in the first * European deluxe assortments in 1997 along with Cheetor, Rhinox, Dinobot, Tarantulus and Waspinator. By the time the toys reached the UK in early 1998 he was gone and replaced by Cybershark and Jetstorm. And the concept of a UK shelf warmer was born but that's a different story. A similar thing happened with Armadillo but he went after the toys were released in the UK. I owned a European Wolfang - it came on a French Animutants card, and have seen pictures of a Biocombat Wolfang from Italy but never saw or have seen any reliable evidence of a Biocombat Wolfang having been sold in the UK. (Animutants and Biocombat are prominent bandings on European BW cards - compare http://uk.geocities.com/philip_ayres@btopenworld.com/tm2_d_2.jpg with http://uk.geocities.com/philip_ayres@btopenworld.com/euro_w_f.JPG )

* or possibly second - My Animutants Optimus Primal box depicts just 4 deluxe characters

Boldfang - as it's antecedent's name insinuates is a wolf. Beast mode is pretty static which is the norm for beasts from this era. There's some poseability in the rear legs but that's it. The fur on the upperside is a greyish brown, while it's a very pale grey underneath.

TF: Pull out the tail and set to one side. Fold the back of the top of the rear legs down to cover the back of the bottom of the legs, and from there flip out the robot feet and heel spurs. Straighten. Open out the halves of the beast head and reveal the robot head. Remove the entire back of the beast. On either side of the beast fold the halves of each side of the beast down till they meet in the middle sticking out to the sides. Push down on the upper body to shorten the robot's size. Fold the arms out to the sides, straighten and pose the fore legs as you like. Take one of the missiles from his back and insert into the base of the tail. Insert into the hand as a weapon. Turn a panel round first and then flip the handle up on the back piece and place into the other hand as a shield. Fold back the Mutant Head if you so desire.

Robot mode has some ankle articulation from the TF, Bending knees and elbows, ball jointed hips and shoulders - the later of which can swing forward as part of the TF - and a neck joint. His Beast Head is a simple visor mask that can fold back revealing a robot with a very prominent chin that puts even Barry Hercules from Star Fleet to shame ! The shield can be stored now on the shortened back by retracting the handle and pegging back into place, and the gun has a holster of sorts by plugging in into one of the holes on the waist piece - intended for the pegs from the top of the front leg. The spikes sticking out of the front of the chest from the 2 anchor shaped missiles are slightly disconcerting - the missile is stored through the body and around the back - but the robot looks far odder without them.

Boldfang reveals some additional red paint in this mode with some gold and silver detailing - the chest detailing is excellent picking out all the molded detail that's been unpainted on previous versions. Boldfang's face is painted silver - as is the mutant head (mask). Unfortunately the silver streak continues onto the chin and since this is the only bit visible with the mouth pulled down it makes him look like he has buck teeth. Worse is to come though when the grey mask and bright white eyes make you realise you're looking at a TF with Buggs Bunny's face !

Overall - Boldfang is a good repaint of the original - save for the unintentional hilarity with the Mutant Face !

Now where's my yellow and black BW Bumblebee ?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I never saw a single Wolfang over here; K-0 yes, Wolfang no. To this day he's one of abour a dozen BW figures I don't have. But I will. Oh yes. One day. Bwahahahaha...
    Erm. Anyway.
    A tad dodgy sounding with some of the paint apps, but other than that I may well have to pick this one up. Thanks for the review man.
    Oh. And SO loved the Barry Hercules reference ;) 

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great review, thanks! The fact they went with a new character is brilliant, as far as I'm concerned. I would have been fine with them doing that with this entire line, frankly. All new characters, all new decos, classic molds. Like Universe, but cooler. :lol 

Mine is in my pile of loot at BBTS awaiting shipment.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm quite happy for the reissues of a couple of the ones I never managed to get - Tigatron and Blackarachnia - but new character or not, Wolfang is a mold I never had a chance to pick up, and seeing just how different he is to K-9, I'm glad I've got Boldfang in my BBTS pile of loot.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Got any pictures?

6. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fraid not. My Camera is shocking.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits: