Japanese Beast Wars 10th Anniversary Waspinator

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Night Flame, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Did a search and didn't see this anywhere else here, so thought I'd start a thread for it.

Prompted by an idea for a new kind of picfic, I went looking for a Waspinator. The least expensive option seemed to be the current Japanese 10th Anniversary line, and so I ordered one. He showed up last night.

The packaging is spectacular for this guy, and really this entire line based on the pictures I've seen around. Attached to the side of the box is a DVD case to store the DVD that's in the box with the toy. Cool idea, though it does make the packaging quite a bit larger than it would otherwise need to be. An odd move, as the Japanese Transformers I've picked up over the years tend to have very, VERY tight packaging.

Opening the package and pulling out my first ever Waspinator, two things happened. One, my wife looks and says, in the voice, "WAZZPINATOR COOL BIKER BOT." And two, I kept finding myself doing the voice, going, "SET WAZZPINATOR FREE! GET WAZZPINATOR OUT OF BOX!"

That's the first toy in about fifteen years that has inspired me to break into voice before it's even out of the box. Part of that's the awesome that is Waspinator as a character. Part of it is that this toy is so beautifully colored, it pulls you into the Waspinator character even in the box.

Getting it out, it's obvious that the toy has been given a very, very good color and paint-apps. There's a shimmer on most of it that I don't see on a lot of Transformers brand toys. And the shimmer changes slightly on different parts of the body. The insect head has a golden shimmer on the metallic green base. The torso has a nice greyish/silverish shimmer that offsets the golden shimmer of the head just enough to make it look different. The only parts that don't shimmer are the yellow and black bits on the lower body. "YOU CAN PLANT BIG JUICY ONE ON WAZZPINATOR'S BIG, FAT, STRIPEY. . ."

The robot head is immaculate. Absolutely beautiful. The details are perfect, right down to the eyes. The secondary head, not so much. Though mostly because it doesn't evoke Waspinator to me. The details are fine on it, but it's way too robotic to fit on that body.

He has great articulation for the era he was originally released in. Some of the transformation is pure genius. The way the legs fold in and still retain full articulation is amazing. The wings concealing his missiles is a terrific idea. And the toy evicts the character so much that I can't touch it without spouting off a Waspinator line, or at least something that sounds like Waspinator would say it.

Basically, as a guy who buys dozens of Transformers every year, this is the first one to really hit that joy that I always loved about Transformers as a kid in a long, long time. After seeing the total package, including the spectacular character card included in the box, I'm sort of regretting spending so much money on other things this year instead of saving money to put into this Beast Wars line.

Basically, if you're looking for a toy of a favorite Beast Wars character, it'd be hard to go wrong with the 10th Anniversary Beast Wars line. If Waspinator is any indication of what to expect, you wouldn't be disappointed in any of them.

2. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pics requested!

3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I have some crappy quality pics that didn't turn out because I can't seem to get my lighting working correctly. I'll just toss a link to my "throw away" gallery and let people see what they want.

http://www.theleehousehold.com/galleries/2007-10-03/

If I get my lighting sorted out, I'll post some pictures directly in the thread. I will just add this one because it at least gives you an idea of how sparkly Waspy is in this incarnation:
    [​IMG]

4. LeoPrime

LeoPrime Get bad with Cyber-bee!

Wazzpinator truly happy at last. ;) 

Seriously though, I got this guy along with several other Japanese BW 10th Anniversary figs on sale, and they really blow most of the previous versions out of the water, especially for characters that were never really that "show accurate" to begin with (I'm looking at you Black Arachnia) All the recent stuff has been BW Neo stuff though, which is too bad, I'd like to see some of the BW stuff besides deluxes get the same kind of treatment.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks really nice, but the difference appears pretty minimal if one already has the Hasbro 10th anniversary Waspinator version. (he's pretty sparkly too. The only real deficiency in the paint to me on that one was the lack of striping on the robot-head antennae, but that was easy to fix myself.)

6. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Well, I dunno.. The colors are really way better than Hasbro's 10th anni version. Especially the insect eyes exactly catch the color and shine from the series. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this version to death :p