Japanese Animated ep 1: a complete list of cuts and changes

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by DrSpengler, Apr 3, 2010.

1. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Alright, I just watched through both the English and Japanese versions of the first episode of Transformers Animated and compiled a list of notable changes in the dialogue or character portrayals, anything new they added and, perhaps most importantly, alllll the stuff they CUT from the episode to make space for the Otoboto Family stuff.

You can check the list out here.

For the most part, the script was a straight up translation of the original English version with very little stuff of note being altered (some slightly changed "sassy" commentary here and there, but nothing fundamental).

This really surprised me, since the series is being "reversioned" by Iwanami Yoshikazu, the guy who completely butchered Beast Wars for the Japanese market. I wasn't expecting him to treat Animated with any dignity but he really surprised me.

Teletran-1 being in perpetual orgasm and Bulkhead screaming things like "Mommyyyy!" I could've done without, though.

And the entire Otoboto Family stuff. Kill it with fire.

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I'm not sure why they need the live-action family to explain the series to viewers. Is it a gimmick?

3. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been looking for the episode. any chance of a link?

4. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    The information part of shows used to (dunno now) increase sales of Beyblade and Mini 4WD toys. They are trying to do that again. (They might do the same thing in the new Digimon show in July as well).

Again TFAJ is treated as the entry level course (Transformers 101) for kids between 5 to 8 as announced. Just don't ask too much from it.

5. DrSpengler

Here ya go.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Maybe it's just too complex for them?

Also, "Dadddyyyy" he really said that?

7. DrSpengler

He screams "Okasan", which is Japanese for "father", but he screams it in such a childish way that "daddy" seemed a mroe appropriate transliteration.

I'm not sure if he was yelling it no one in particular, ala cartoons where characters scream "Mommy!" under stress, or if he was referring to Optimus as "Okasan". It may be some sign of "respect" for a superior officer, ala how some members of gangs or groups refer to older, more seasoned members as "big brother", but I can't really tell since it's just one line.

EDIT: Disregard alla that crap I just wrote. I've been up waaaayyyy too long if I'm screwing up even my rudimentary Japanese...

8. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    ”Okaa-san" is mother.
    "Otoo-san" is father.

9. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    when i read he said daddy i literally busted out laughing, that made my day

10. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Did anyone else think the intro was really cool?

11. DrSpengler

God, total brainfart. I must need some sleep. Whoop.

12. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link to the ep, DrSpengler! I'm curious to watch the Japanese dub for TFA as well.

It doesn't seem like they changed too much with the dialogue and content of the ep, other than a few scene cuts here and there.

But Teletraan sounds rather...strange. Kinda reminds me of DNavi's voice from BW Neo. And Megatron sounds kinda like BWII Galvatron, not as cool and menacing as Corey Burton!

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I feel bad for the Japanese fans of TFA! So many bits are cut, just so they can cram in a silly live action part? All the tidbits might seem unimportant, I think they really add to the characterizations of the characters...but hey, it seems like Takara wants to change the base of the plot and the characters anyway :lol 

The intro is all kinds of cool, although it makes no sense and doesn't reflect what the cartoon is all about. The actual show is a slimmed down version of TFA though..but I guess I can't complain, I watched all US episodes anyway. :) 

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While it's a shame a lot of stuff was cut, I really have to give a little nod of approval to Prime and BB arguing about how "Convoy" has been dropped from their side of the canon. :lol 

15. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

You're not alone there. :)  I liked that intro too.

16. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I wonder, do the Japanese fans do fansubs of American-produced shows the way we do fansubs of their stuff? It would be the only way to get TF:A uncut, not to mention Beast Wars.

17. DrSpengler

Not really, no.

Most American cartoons get released in Japan, these days. At least the ones produced by Cartoon Network, Disney and Nickelodeon, as there are Japanese satellite incarnations of Cartoon Network, Boomerang, the Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Nickelodeon and I thik NickToons TV.

So there really isn't any need to fansub our cartoons since most of them get released over there on satellite.

THAT and the fact that Americans are far more enthusiastic about Japanese animation than Japanese people are for American animation.

18. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Oh dear, well at least we get the non-butchered cartoon for once.

19. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are at least two Disney channels here in Japan, Disney and Disney DX. Disney shows primarily Disney cartoons mixed with a few international children shows, while Disney DX focus more on toons for boys. Spiderman, Ben10 and Iron Man are shows I usually see shown on this channel.

Nickelodeon left Japan before the end of the year last year; I can't say that it's sad to see it ago, as the Japanese version of it was gutted big time. Sponge Bob and Power Puff girls were practically the only shows on. Everything else were other international (and Japanese programs) worked into the network.

Cartoon Network, really isn't that different from the above two.

Those who don't have cable TV aren't missing all that much, as NHK shows the more popular shows from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network throughout the week anyway. Disney cartoons are exclusive to Disney only.

Japanese in general DO NOT talk about watching cartoons, as society sort of frowns upon adults watching them; those who admit to watching them are branded "Otaku," a term most find offensive.

20. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:

Interestingly, do most Japanese watch Gundam and treated it different ?