James Roberts Interview!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ORIO, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not quite ready just yet to deify him as much as the rest of fandom, but Roberts' enthusiasm and commitment to the material is highly infectious. He's a good plotter, and I'm really looking forward to where MTMTE is going to lead!

3. Nemesis Maximus

Nemesis Maximus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    interesting read. I've not read any of his unofficial writing, but have loved all the IDW stuff he has done. It is so pleasing that someone who loves the characters is in the driving seat, rather than someone who apparently has contempt for them...

Mr Roberts is getting a big thumbs up from me at least. looking forward to what is to come!

4. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roberts is great. Frankly he's written some of the best TF stories ever IMO.

I'm now bearing a slight grudge against Grifith for costing me a Roberts written Bluestreak. RiD better use him well!

-ZacWilliam, mostly kidding about the grudge but darn it Bluestreak has Thundercracker levels of unused coolness in his original G1 bio, I would have loved to see Roberts use him...

5. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

Urgh they didn't ask him is a comatose Springer was on the Lost Light! Where Springer's been has been bugging me since the end of LSOTW.

I'm loving both new ongoings, can't wait for next Wednesday!

6. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With TDOOP, More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise hitting that sweet spot the majority of fans have been craving, I am very keen to see how these books progress.

This interview cements that feeling.

This is what happens when you invest in people invested in what they do. You might just catch lightning in a bottle.

Keep it up IDW.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Very interesting read. I have a huge man-crush for James Roberts. He's easily one of the best writers Transformers has ever had.

8. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I've read a couple of TF novels, but I just didn't like them. Transformers to me is not a story told in novels, but in a cartoon or even better in comics.

The only TF novel that I really liked was Eugenesis by Roberts.

That novel and his previous IDW comics have given me hope for TF comics for the first time in a long,very long while.

This interview only made clear to me just how suited he is for writing TF comics and how completely unsuited Mike Costa was. And we now finally also have an editor who really cares about these comics.

9. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i really appreciate his take on Transformers ultimately being character driven - i've always felt this way - and thought the, for example, AHM was very redeeming in this regard as you had Sunstreaker make a deal with SS cause of the whole cloning fiasco, Ironhide getting so hot under the cooler he beats up Mirage, who rebuffs Ironhides apology later on and so on.. Characters reacting (sometime poorly) because of the personalities.

also

:D 

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What IDW seems to have cooking now with Transformers is literally making me drool.

11. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've read both books and so far i like what i see. Something almost totally different but so familiar at the same time.

Honestly, with their current takes on the different characters, i really hope that Hasbro takes a good look and turns some of them into toys.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Yep. Roche and Roberts touch me in places no man has ever touched me before.

13. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Say...Mr Roberts isn't a bad looking fella. ;) 

Now contrast this to Mike Costa's description of Transformers as pointless and stupid and impossible to understand. Is there any wonder why the new comics are being praised to the heavens while Costa's were barely tolerated? Loving and understanding the subject you write makes a huge difference. Every TF writer should have such a great outlook on the concept.

I love the idea of the writers sitting around trading characters like Pokemon. :lol 

So is this a spoilerish confirmation that Prowl didn't deliberately blow up the Lost Light? Or is he referring to something else that we haven't seen yet? I guess we'll have to wait and see. /excited

I find it very strange that a writer like this was influenced by Simon Furman. Furman is the exact OPPOSITE of this description. He's entirely plot focused, with very weak characterization and clunky dialogue that often doesn't fit the characters at all. I think the teacher and student need to trade places...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  14. Dark_T_Zeratul

Dark_T_Zeratul Well-Known Member

Man, the contrast between this and Mike Costa's interview is like night and day. I'm really eager to see where James Roberts takes things.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I totally agree with your comments and analysis. In fact, I had already cut & pasted ALL the exact same quotes you did, to put them in my own post as "examples of why I think I will love James Roberts", and then I realized that you had totally beaten me to it! :lol 

It felt like there was more content in the last 2 issue of the "ongoings" than in a year of Costa's Transformers. Very excited to see what comes next, especially after reading this interview. It's like IDW read all my complaints and responded to them by growing James Roberts in a vat and putting him on the job.

And yeah, that picture of Roberts paints a much more suave image of a career Transformers geek than one would expect! :D 

zmog

16. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

:D  *brofist* Hell, those quotes were so good, they deserve to be posted multiple times!

Now if we can just convince Paramount to do the same...

17. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was saying for years that Schmidt and Costa had no idea what they were doing. Good to have Roberts and Barber on board.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, it's amazing what a difference it is when your creative team actually respects their material and their audience (which Costa quite clearly didn't).

zmog

19. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Loved this interview, he has done so much already to up my enjoyment of the Transformer comics. Has anyone read his fan novel Eugenesis, it's out there for free download, recommended.

20. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Good stuff, would loved to have known whats planned for my boy Springer.