James McDonough?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ORIO, Nov 24, 2006.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What happened to this guy after DW went under? He was such a great TF writer. I love Furman, don't get me wrong. But I really liked this guys take on G1. Is he still around? Anyone hear if he's gonna write for IDW?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I believe he's still embroiled in legal rumblings from the Dreamwave fallout. He pops in every now and then and posts sometimes when his name gets brought up here.

I think he may still be interested in continuing his continuity if the bankruptcy crap ever gets sorted out, but I don't know how interested IDW would be in it. They've got their own continuity going now.

I loved his stuff when it came out, but over the last couple of weeks or so I went back and have read all my Transformers comics (Marvel US and UK trades, all the Dreamwave stuff) and I don't think it holds up as well to the test of time. I honestly prefer IDW's current continuity to the DW one he built. But I would certainly welcome him back to the fold regardless if IDW brought him on board.

Also, his MTMTE books are essential. I thumb through those on a monthly basis.

Also also, I'm booting this to comics where it belongs.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i liked adam/brads stint at DW too. that and the combination of dons stellar run in vol 3 1st 6 parter was frickin awsum.

4. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Good guys, I talk to them every once in a while. I miss their run on G1, my favorite TF storyline ever.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Yeah it was an amazing run. I'm reading issue 5 right now. I actually have to disagree with KidDynamite, I think the DW stuff is far superior to the IDW stuff. I mean come on the fight between omega and sunstorm was just on another level.

6. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I liked his stuff... I still wanna know how it all connects to each other (cause it definitely does haha)

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    The chopping of the G1 ongoing was (for me) the biggest disappointment for a long time in terms of comics (as I'm well used by now to the huge delays with the Red Star...) as the series was really starting to get a head of steam going.

And i just re-read 1-6 (along with other recent Jetfire stories, such as Dark Ages and Stormbringer) and it's still great to read - and there are so many little nods in the artwork and the dialogue only add to the experience (locals may note the tfw2005 text on Cybertron!).

Not only that, but the following arc involving the rise of Autobot City, the Quintessons and the fembots had the makings of a great story - if only it could be finished!

(Age of Wrath would be great to see finished, too!)

Gary

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't mind his first miniseries, but was really disappointed with the ongoing and was planning to drop it after issue #12 (pre-empted since the company went under); I haven't reread the DW run and don't plan to in the near future. My main problems were the decompression and the introduction of way too many questions with little to no payoff. While the various plot threads showed that an intricate universe was planned out, there were too many dangling plot threads going on at once; I would have enjoyed McDonough's run much more if he'd been better at resolving some smaller plot points and slowly rolling out answers for the larger things. It also didn't help that when we got answers, they were commonly provided in the form of info-dumps (best example is Shockwave's monologue in W&P #6), rather than rolled out at a natural pace along the course of the plot. Granted, this issue is compounded by the company tanking, but the previews we saw for subsequent issues suggested to me that there were only going to be even more questions introduced. I also didn't like the extent of the G1 cartoon/comic nods. I've got nothing against the occasional homage or nod, but there was so much it came off as fanwank and took me out of the story.

All that said, the MTMTE guidebooks were truly a shining achievement and I'd love to see McDonough provide some contribution to any profile books IDW has planned for the future.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was kind of curious where James was taking the series too. Some of the story arcs that I enjoyed were the Sunstorm arc etc. I er, also prefer it IDW;s...

10. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Say what you will about the DW ongoing series, at least it didn't take 3 minutes to read like the IDW book does.

11. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    KidDynamite, I hate to disagree, (because I usually DO agree with ya =) )but for me the series totally stands the test of time. But thats just my opinion. Its been hard for me to enjoy the newer comics from IDW. I really haven't cared for any of the story arcs they've put out except for Beast Wars. (Regardless, I continue to buy them because ya gotta supports the TF comics!) I think I just really liked McDonoughs characterization and dialogue. It was very difficult for me to read one of his books and NOT hear the the g1 voice actors in my head. I hope he gets out from the legal junk and returns to writing TF's soon. Him and Don are a team that cant be messed with. I agree with a lot of what Nerroth posted

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This is the part where I would be in a stadium chanting "OVER-RATED" with the other mindless drones.

13. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

James work from War and Peace, to the cancellation of the ongoing were, for me, some of the most enjoyable of all TF comic books.

Yeah, IDW has had its moments, like the Spotlights and the first three issues of Stormbringer, but I don't think they outshine James and Don's work on the ongoing.

Admittedly, I was pained when I knew that we would never see the completion of McDonough's story. Who was Sunstorm really? What was Megatron going to do now that he was back? What was that purple pool on Earth? All questions I really looking forward to learning the answer to.

And James had some of his own Spotlights in mind as well. He was kind enough to allow me to read his script on Age of Extinction, a one shot that was to feature the Dinobots and Insecticons. It was going to be nice. I won't share it, as its likely confidential, and I still hope to see it in comic book form some day. Also, there was to be a Magnus/Optimus one-shot spotlight in the works as well.

So when DW closed its doors, I was pretty sure we were about to see the best of James.

Alas, we never got the chance.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yeah, I don't mean to say that it's bad, just that I don't like it as much as I did back when the comics were coming out. Part of this may come from knowing the story is incomplete, and the hanging plot threads will never be resolved. I LIKED the pace of it when I thought it was going to go on for years, but armed with the knowledge I have now, that we only had 16 issues (plus a handful of one shots, previews, and Furman's War Within providing back story) of his universe to work with, it's a frustrating read.

Also, and I totally recognize this puts me at odds with most other fans, but in the 80's I was way more into the Marvel comic than I was into the cartoon. I watched the cartoon regularly, but the comic was the continuity that I really loved and read over and over and over again. The McDonough/Patyk books were heavily steeped in cartoon lore...the characters talked like the cartoon characters, the environments looked like the cartoon, and most of the easter eggs came from the cartoon. Only rarely would they make references to the comic (noticeable mostly in Buster apparently about to make an appearance right before DW went under). So maybe that's another reason I find myself more intrigued by IDW's story...it reminds me more of the Marvel comics I loved as a kid, whereas the DW story was more like the cartoon. There's nothing wrong with people who grew up on the cartoon, and I understand the sentiment, it just doesn't match as closely to the things I liked best about Transformers. Does that make sense?

15. Lord Shockwave

Interestingly, I never watched the cartoon, and still loved James stuff. Maybe because a lot of the stuff, like Starscream's brigade, Kremzeek, etc. were unknown to me, as so it was a new experience reading James stuff.

Overall, the Marvel comics, particularly the first 25 issues, were my favorite of TF lore.

But James' stuff was damn good.

16. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Mmm. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd never seen the show/movie.

Does anyone know if he's done any other comics work, before or since? It seems to be a fairly common name, so googling didn't bring much up...

17. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

I believe he also wrote the extremely shortlived DW Devil May Cry series. It wasn't very good, but then again, it only lasted like two issues.

I really dug his TF work. He nailed the characterization across the board and there was always a ton of stuff happening in each issue. Admittedly, sometimes there was too much happening, but I can hardly complain about that, especially with the glacial pace of the current series.

18. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Hard to call either spotlights or Stormbringer glacial, and they're part of the current series.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really miss Brad Mick. :( 

20. Lord Shockwave

I miss his work too, but I really can't complain about what Simon is doing with IDW.

Give props where props are due, Simon is churning out some strong stuff.

I just wish James had a chance to finish what he started. Like Simon, James had stated his story spanned at least two years worth of comics. Things were just starting to get good towards the end, as even Furmanites were digging it.