James Cameron Updates on "Avatar" Sequels

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RebelMan, Oct 20, 2010.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Source: ComingSoon.net
    October 19, 2010

James Cameron spoke to press today at a special event to promote the November 16th release of the Avatar extended edition Blu-ray set. Here's what Cameron had to say in regard to future adventures in the world Avatar, his rumored Cleopatra project:

"Our plan right now is to do two and three as a single large production and release them a year apart," Cameron said, "In order to do that, we have to refine our technical processes beyond the end of where we were finishing 'Avatar' one a year ago. We need to future-proof ourselves out five or six years to the end of the third film."

Though Cameron's name has recently been brought up in connection with Cleopatra (with Angelina Jolie tentatively attached to star), Cameron announced that it was currently undetermined whether or not he'd come aboard that specific project.

"I haven't made any decisions about that," were Cameron's exact words, "but here's a decision: I'm not going to work on a film between ['Avatar'] two and three. It's really a question of whether or not I do one between now and when we start two. We're evaluating how much of our techwork and how much of our facility work it's going to take. That's not decided as of right now. I'd love to just start on 'Avatar 2' right now, but I don't know if that's possible or if it makes sense to wait."

In the meantime, Cameron is continuing work on his Avatar novel, which he hopes will serve as a bible for other creators to offer their own unique takes on the world of Pandora.

"The novel's a big project," said Cameron, "It's not a novelization... I asked myself, 'If this had been based on a book, what would that book have been?' It ends coterminously with the end of the movie. I'm not going to give you one frame beyond that. But how about the 30 years before Jake came to Pandora? The discovery of the planet? Grace's arrival there? All the back story and the history of Earth. All the context and then everything lateral to what you see in the movie. Whether it's things that are happening off-camera or things that are happening inside the characters' heads."

Cameron also reiterated his thoughts on Sigourney Weaver's character returning for Avatar sequels, despite her apparent death in the first film.

"Who said she died?" Cameron teased with a big grin, "Nobody dies in a science fiction movie. Whether Grace lives or dies depends more on Sigourney's agent than anything."

2. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    So, I guess no Battle Angel Alita then :( 

I still don't get all the hype behind Avatar...

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I want Battle Angel Alita not this Avatar shit :( 

He better should have worked on T3 and T4 not on Avatar...

4. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So after the hype, people are just figuring out that Avatar was not all that good? :D 

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More Avatar. Oh. Joy.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I swear some people here called it the best movie of all time.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i still havent seen it.

8. Waverider

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not bad. But it's not that good either. I find it as the biggest grossing film a bit BS when the average cost in seeing the movie in 3D was around $14. Heck I paid $18 to see it in IMAX opening day.

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I thought it was a tremendous movie experience. Was the movie it self earth shattering - no, was the imax experience mind blowing - yes.

Would I watch a sequel if it offered the same amount of overall enjoyment? Yes, yes I would.

10. Waverider

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 3D was awesome. But IMHO with all these films coming out in 3D and trying to out do one another will spoil things for the cinema experience. I just saw Jackass 3D and opening and ending had some good 3D effects. Take something like CGI. It was mind blowing in the beginning. Now it's on almost ever film that is not a chick flick.

11. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
  13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Finally saw it not too long ago. I liked it.
    Sigourney Weaver looked stupid as hell though.

The blue chick was kinda hawt. If you dont like hot blue chicks you're ghey.

14. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Just because people want to bitch and moan about it doesn't mean that the movie sucked for everyone. Seriously, since when did we start to think that blogging on the internet automatically meant that we were right, lol.

I'm sure that for every single movie you guys can come up with and say is "They bestest movie ever" there will be some internet person who will call you out and claim why the movie "sucked on so many levels." And chances are, they'd be right.

Can't a thread about a movie be posted for discussion without the need to wade through all the bitching? If you don't like the movie, then why the need to post in a thread about it? Unfortunately, the movie made billions (unfortunately, because the more successful it is, the more the "Successful, but it sucked" people need to shout about it). But the need to outshout the people who did enjoy it, is by coming up with new ways to moan about it.

lol, I love the "Get to Know Eachother" pic on the Aliens side. Fuck I can't wait for the Aliens BD next week!

16. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

I liked the movie. Alot. For what it was. Will I go see the sequels? Damn right. Do I think they'll deserve oscars? Not so much.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Neat. More Avatar is cool news. Go Jimmy C go.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. If any Oscar, it would be effects, otherwise it wasn't the greatest movie of all time by far, but it was enjoyable. Most people who talk about it don't even mention the 3D, and quite a few people I know didn't even watch it in 3D and still enjoyed it.

I'd like to stay in the dark about any sequel, but a few folks here made a good point about the first movie, stating that maybe Sully was never really in control of his own actions and it was the planet spirit thingy controlling his actions. Oh and that Anakin was his father.

19. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I waited for video on Avatar. Ended up liking it more than I thought I would, but I'm more interested in the prequel novel than the sequels at this point. And I'm glad Hurt Locker beat it at the Oscars.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had no doubt it would. For all its Hippie themes, Avatar was not a hippie movie. It needed more Whole Foods or PETA involvement for it to be considered for Oscar, :D 

Shoot a guy in a corner rocking back and forth for 2 hours and you for yourself a shot at the Oscars. Which is both a nod and a put-down.