James Cameron or Peter Jackson to direct TF4?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaWolverine, Jan 29, 2012.

1. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I understand. Stan Winston as a master of his craft, there is no denying that. He will be missed. :(  True, but these days even visual effects companies have practical modellers. Or they just do all of the modelling in the computer anyway. It's just that there's less and less (unfortunately) demand for practical work like theirs. Shame.

*EDIT: And upon further recollection, I suppose that if, like you said, the likes of Avatar, District 9, Cowboys and Aliens and whatnot can still have SWS/LE influence, why couldn't a Transformers movie in pre-production in 2013? Here's hoping!

I just watched the Blu-Ray bonus features for the JP trilogy as well recently. Spec-f**king-tacular! :D 

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Peter Jackson was the producer, but I think it shows that he has a good eye for sci fi because he saw what Neil Blomkamp could do as a director and knew that WETA was up to the task as well.

So I could be excited if Peter Jackson took over. He's great at taking nerd stuff and turning it into something that feels epic. He's done huge battles and huge creatures before like the trolls so I'd love to see a Peter Jackson combiner. Plus he's super nice to the fans and that would be nice for a change.

I'll agree that Neil Blomkamp might be a good choice as well. I was really impressed with how he handled District 9 and if he can make you feel for the Prawns then it shouldn't be a problem to him to make you feel for the Transformers. The Prawn mech catches the missile was better than a lot of the big budget Hollywood films I've seen.

3. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t think you heard those rumours at all. I know I didn’t.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    He could probably do it, as many of the elements are the same, but I think he would be better suited to Space Opera than to sci-fi action films.

5. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

I don't think Peter Jackson would ever do TF, and Cameron... Eh.

I'd like to see Brad Bird direct any future TF movies. Man's done action blockbusters with Ghost Protocol, which means he'll do live action sequels, and he's done a movie about a boy bonding with a giant robot: The iron Giant, one of my absolute favorite films of all time.

6. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny you should mention Brad. I was just thinking of him being thrown TF4:

Brad: Ok you guys. I took your M:I turd and turned it into gold...now let me do my 1906 Earthquake film.

Execs: ehhh, not quite, Braddie-boy. We got another test for you.

Brad: ...a test? Wasn't putting up with Tom enough of a test?

Execs: Well, we need help restarting another '4.' Tell you what: make Transformers 4 a success, and maybe we'll consider your old-time Earthquake movie.

7. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know if Cameron would go with a love story. If he got it I think he may go a special forces squad deploying on whats left of cybertron to help the autobots. The main characters will be named Hicks, Vasquez and Hudson, with Bill Paxton starring. :p 

8. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I heard rumors about the real intent of starting this thread.

9. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    No to cameron, yes to jackson.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    After watching AVATAR, I would not want Cameron within 10 miles from a TF set.

Jackson might do good, tho- if he were interested. I doubt that tho.

11. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want neither to direct. They got their own franchises to worry about.

12. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    I'm not much for a TF4 or even a complete reboot - the first film was awesome, it's just a shame the followups were equally-sized piles of crap, even if one of them *is* the highest-grossing film of all time - but to be fair, I think either of Cameron or Jackson would take a fair whack at a Transformers film.

They're both directors I have a lot of respect for, ditto for some of their films, and I think that if by some strange occurance either of them was to give it a go, they'd give us a film worth watching for the reasons we all seem to think are the right ones.

13. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All the speculation about Directors, almost makes me want to do a parody drawing of Tim Burton drawing his Transformers concepts.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

I can see Flatline and Airachnid is his movie series both voiced by Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    No, no, no. Helena Bonham Carter as Starscream. :p  Think about it. Her masculine voice as Starscream, or even using her as a female Starscream...not Slipstream necessarily, but simply a female Starscream.

But honestly, for fun, I've come up with a lot of ways that these movies could go in the hands of different directors; Tim Burton being one of them. It's a fun little exercise when you actually think about things realistically. You can bet that Burton's Decepticons would have a very dark, monstrous, spiky, slim and gothic design to them.

16. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Tim Burton in Transformers.

That leads to one conclusion and one conclusion only: CHRISTOPHER LEE AS UNICRON/MEGATRON.

HELL. YES.

17. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Eh?

Whatever else it is (and I'll be honest - the story was bobbins) Avatar is fabulously directed. It's a beautifully shot film.

18. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Resident couch potato

not james cameron not him, he in my opinion would completely ruin the movies. i'll take bay over him any day.

19. prowler13

prowler13 Queen of Ferelden

Jackson did a good job with the LOTR movies, but maybe Cameon would be better for TF.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    So that would be NEST only with character about whom I could give a shit....this is bad because?

I think you need to re-word this: Avatar is still the highest grossing movie of all time (not adjusted for inflation). Dark of the Moon made (a well deserved) 1,000,000,000 worldwide whereas Avatar made nearly that in the US alone.

Fuck Tim Burton, this just has to happen. Quickly before the great Sir Christopher passes from this world.

Make. It. So!