James Cameron or Peter Jackson to direct TF4?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaWolverine, Jan 29, 2012.

1. OmegaWolverine

OmegaWolverine Well-Known Member

I heard rumors that either James Cameron or Peter Jackson will take over in directing the next Transformers film, true or false?

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

False. Not a single word was uttered about it, and neither of them would take the role anyway.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope neither. Cameron will make the central plot a love story while jackson will insist bumblebee be played that gollum guy.

4. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    False lol cameron is tied up with avatar 2 and 3 and jackson is working on the hobbit.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

I dunno man, I think James Cameron could do it, but he's got enough of his own projects (including whoring out his old ones) that Transformers probably doesn't pass his radar. Which makes me sad :( 

I agree though, blatantly false rumours.

It isn't like it would be any more obnoxious than the one we got in TF anyway. I'd certainly like to see what Bay and Cameron could come up with together.....Cameron in the directors chair, Bay in charge of the action setpeices...I only wish Stan Winston were still with us to do some of the visual effects with ILM.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Do you honestly ever see a possibility of them ever doing a fourquel of a series they didn't have a hand in from the start?

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I like to dream, but realistically there will be colonies on the moon before it happens the way I want it to :p 

8. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately false.

Cameron could probably do it better than Bay (cameron doesn't have quite the resume Jackson does with large full CG characters), and Jackson would knock it out of the park. Just LOOK at the T-Rex battle in King Kong and WISH that Bay had done a single fight scene that well in these movies. Also, Jackson knows how to tell a story well (and Bay has never shown much skill here in ANY movie he's ever made).

Which isn't to say I don't enjoy Bay's Tformer movies (I do). I just wish they were better.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Wait...you mean the T-Rex battle from the most recent King Kong movie with Jack Black? Personally, I thought the Forest battle in ROTF was better simply because it was more actiony and wasn't taking place in a dark enviroment, making it easy to tell Optimus from the Decepticons and vice versa (ironic, if you think about it).

Personally, all that movie had going for it was the CGI. The plot kinda sucked, and in a way was about on the same level as ROTF: Awesome CGI fights, sucktastic plot and storytelling.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I'm sorry, but thirty seconds of the Forest Battle blows out of the water all the action scenes of this movie single-handedly.

Jackson is obviously a better story-teller than Michael Bay, and he CAN make some nifty action sequences, but if there's one thing Bay outweights Jackson in, is action scenes.

Uuuh, Avatar...?

The problem is that for good and for ill, TF is a toy franchise. Most directors will instantly ignore it due that.

Though I'll say that Cameron has something of a faint chance because he seems to be pretty close friends with Bay [what a bizarre friendship], just like Spielberg.

No really, Spielberg and Bay are almost reaching an "Buddy Cop Comedy" level from the stories we hear about the behind the scenes.

11. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

Neither. Let James Cameron stick to Avatar and Jackson I just dont like him.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    True.

If only in my dreams. :( 

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just another rumor that is floating around.

Some people made some statements about how Paramount and Hasbro would love to do more Transformers movies without anything being in place to actually start shooting more movies. So with no news people have started to let their imaginations run wild.

14. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Sadly false, though I'd love them to be true. Peter Jackson would do an amazing job at making a really story driven Transformers movie.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Jackson does fantasy and adventure stories really well, but how well would he fare with sci-fi? Honest question, mind you.

16. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Sci-fi and Fantasy movies are pretty similar, so I don't think Jackson would have that much trouble going from one to the other.

17. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well he worked on District 9 and that was pretty good.

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    He was still only a producer, Neil Blomkamp (sp) was the director/creative force behind the effort of that movie.

Speaking of which, what about Neil? He's got sci-fi chops, knows how to use his budget wisely and seems pretty good at getting the action on screen.

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Agreed. However, because I'm an "FX" whore (and naturally pedantic), I'd like to point out that while Stan Winston (Studios)/Legacy Effects is the best practical effects (they barely do any visual effects anymore) company in the business, with CG technology advancing as rapidly as it is, any work for practical animatronics from SWS/LE would be obsolete. The use of on-set "robot props" in the first movie was limited to a full-sized (not-moving) Bumblebee, a couple of Frenzy puppets, Barricade's hood/front and Megatron's legs. RotF: Wheelie's legs (moving), Jetfire's cane, Megatron's fingers, Optimus' legs (not moving). DotM: A lifeless Brains prop for a single shot. Any future Transformers movie will have little-to-no use for on-set animatronics. Now, if they made Transformers in 1995, then HECK YES to SWS involvement. It'd be the only way; 50% SWS and 30% visual effects and 20% using music/editing/mystery to let the audience use their imagination. :D 

No, Cameron doesn't quite have the resume for "large full CG characters" as Jackson. But Cameron has just as much (if not more) experience with large-scale action/sci-fi/effects-driven movies: Terminator, Aliens, Terminator 2, Titanic. Effects-wise, what are the Terminator films other than the 1980's/1990's equivalent of the best of the effects business coming together to make awesome robots? Exactly what Transformers is. Cameron could easily handle the robots/effects portions of the movies no doubt.

The battle in King Kong is basically on par with the forest battle in RotF. 3-on-1. Epic battle of epic proportions. And this is coming from someone who loves both movies equally.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You're right of course, about Stan Winston Studios. I just miss the man, but everything starts as a model and even Avatar the special effects extravaganza for CGI, had its Na'vi, Banshees, AMP Suits and ships start as models carved in clay by his team.

I digress cos I've been watching the blu-ray of Jurassic Park and the anamatronics and CGI in this movie are still just fucking AWESOME.