jailbreaking an ipod/phone

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by KA, Jan 22, 2008.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hey guys,

ive read up on the issues, but curious if users here have longer term personal experience.

good or bad?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

"Jailbreaking"?

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm not familiar with the term "jailbreaking" in terms of electronics, either...

I get to handle an iPhone almost every day (yay rich friends) and after about a month of use (even when cleaned) the screen doesn't perform as well as it did when the phone was new. I'm not sure if that's for the phones as a whole, or just my friend's, but I did notice that as an issue. Aside from that, there don't seem to be any problems.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Unlocking them for third party apps.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Heads up, if you, and then update the iPhone/iPod with Apple; it bricks it.

And that also voids the warranty. So, if you plan on never having any software on the phone beyond what's currently out, and you're cool with that. Do so, at your own discretion.

There's not really many long terms issues because it usually works fine until you try and update or restore it; which then loads the Apple update.

I won't recommend it though; and furthermore, if you do, please don't call Apple bitching haha.

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Recently, Slashdot.org linked to some articles about the newest Apple firmware unbricking those earlier bricked phones, like so http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/17/happy-1-1-3-firmware-ending-for-tuaw-reader/
    Even if bricked, there's still ways to get an iPhone in it's original manufacturer installed state.

Every chance I get, I play with my friend's iPhone that he jailbroke a few months ago. He hasn't had any problems.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i'm reading its for ver 1.1.1, which im at. the most current e.g. 1.1.3 may cause conflict. at least till we see how the legit 3rd party developer scene pans out.

i can hold out on it since connectivity is swell so far and i just need it for vids, music n pics but damn them ipod hacker screencap of their customs are tempting.

...think i'll figure out the best way to back up my current before proceeding, hmm. god i hate itunes. mah winamp wont detect portables argh.

8. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I had my iPhone jailbroken on 1.1.2 for the longest time, and everything was fine until I installed the "Customize" app, trying to customize my phone some more, and that bricked the phone, so I had no choice but to upgrade to 1.1.3, so now it works again, but I'm shackled again until they figure out how to jailbreak it again...

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Fixed. The annoyance is the least Apple deserves for telling people what to do with their hardware.

10. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    It's not just Apple, Verizon does it on a company wide scale.