Heavy/Scratch: JAF's defensor project - (10/19/08 Chestplate WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JAF, Jul 1, 2008.

1. JAF

JAF 1984

Well this has been in a box for over a year now. Here's my take on Defensor as seen in a quick test shot set.

There are no larger additions of parts for arms or legs at the moment. Everything in this set of shots is contained by the five figures being used. Things will obviously change drastically as I add a leg shell for Groove and finalize how the arms/hands will work. The head, chest, and individual bots will also change of course.

These figures are all pretty close in scale. I'd say the extremes range from 1/-18 for Groove to 1/48 for Blades. The cars/truck are all around 1/24 with the firetruck being a slightly smaller scale.

Groove has already been chopped up and is currently being put back together in a new configuration.

[ATT]9418[/ATT]
    Protectobots are mostly 1/24-ish scale.

[ATT]9421[/ATT]
    With the addition of some Gundam GP-01 1/100 scale arms, Sideways becomes much more G1.

[ATT]9423[/ATT]
    Chop off the back of the bot-calfs (motorcycle rear wheel-well area) and Groove now has more articulation.

[ATT]9626[/ATT]
    Cut the rear wheel and fork in half and attach each to a leg and re-fasten the windshield/front wheel (combined into a single single assembly) to the original ball joint.

[ATT]10488[/ATT]
    SSS head casting compliments of Wheeljack. I modded the head with scratch built styrene parts.

[ATT]15615[/ATT]
    More details to come on the chestplate...

Attached Files:

2. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    definitely looking forward to this my man. Already, Groove is a piece of work. keep it goin'

3. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

WOW, giving Frenzy-Rumble a run for his money!!! I like how Prime's legs fold back to allow for a fine knee. This is the part I am having trouble on with my Computron idea. Both my Scattershot ideas (Energon Jetfire and Galaxy Force Starscream) have funky legs, but this one works PREFECT. Great choices for the bots.

Is that an ALT Prowl? I am rather unfamiliar with the Alternators.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    looking really nice. one thing you're aced on is the fact there will be no 'extra' kibble when not combined. I don't mind the extra parts, however, i think it's essential to give him good correct proportions.

5. JAF

JAF 1984

Yes it is Kalron, that's also alt Skids for the van/ambulance. F_R and I have declared July "Defensor Month". I had the same idea as you did for Energon Jetfire==Scattershot for Computron. If I come up with a good knee solution I'll let you know.

I'm glad you like the bot choices. Thanks for the comments guys. And yes, proportions are the most important thing to get right for me. If I have to addd more parts to attain that, then so be it. I can't have a gimp-bot come out of my lab, heh...

6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very cool.

7. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

I look forward in seeing alot more!!

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    excellent. Another bash I can use as inspiration. :lol  I have this guy on my to-do list in addition to bruticus and superion and devastator. I really like what you've done so far, groove looks really good.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I agree with the kibble statement, it's all ready looking great and proportionate. Great start with Groove.

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man JAF, even the mock up looks sweet....so I know the finished product is gonna rock!

Keep us posted :D 

11. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Very nice proportions. Even the motorbike fits. I'm hoping to see some Jaf magic and see all those figures reworked to look more Geewunier and less not geewunier.

12. JAF

JAF 1984

I was doing some research and came across this unreleased Defensor. It looks like Hasbro intended RID Prime to be a protectobot after all:

[​IMG]

Here's an update. I'm going to use the feet to increase the chest area since I need some bulk there. The chest-plate will be scratchbuilt and offer more strength.

But what do you all think about the forearms vs. no forearms. I would not use those exact OP Beast forearms for the final version but they give a sense of size and proportion.

No forearms:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With forearms:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I vote for forearms. Looks better with them than without them IMO.

14. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

I think either way looks good, but forearms will obviously help with articulation, so I'd use them.

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I like how he looks with the feet up there.

16. JAF

JAF 1984

Thanks for checkin' it out fellas. Forearms it is...

17. JAF

JAF 1984

And here's some more on Groove:

I swapped heads, attached the front tire directly to the windshield assembly, split the back wheel into two halves, and added saddle bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

That is great Jaf!! You improved the bot mode and the bike mode remains uncompromised!!

19. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

Whoah, that's kickass.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

DUDE!!!

Your Groove blows my mind! I want one! Dammitdammitdammit... why did I sell off that mold to a friend? Oh right... because it sucks. But you... you've made it BRILLIANT, you magnificent bastard!!

Ahem. Under control now... :) 

Defensor... hmm... for some reason, I'm preferring it without the forearms... but I think that's more an issue with the forearms you've used. Obviously it's better to have an elbow and forearm for posing... but those ones don't match the figure well due to the long, spindley and curvy forms. I would go for shorter, boxier forearms to maintain the feel from the rest of the figure.

Is it not possible to just use the big boxy super-mode arm attachments from RID Prime? I know they're essentially hollow "gloves" but maybe they could be made to lock onto some separate elbow joint parts (perhaps hidden in the kibble of the other figures?).

If so, that would be one more combiner part that's integrated into the original figures (less extra bits)... using every part of the buffalo, and all that... :) 

EDIT:
    D'oh! I'm a doofus. I just noticed that in some of your pics, you've already tried out what I suggested. Ahem.

Looks good though. :) 

zmog