Jack: "The Key Will Light Our Darkest Hour"

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Chopperface, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    The title says it all. I didn't notice this until the second or third time I watched One Shall Rise, Part III. But first, let's review.

Optimus gives Jack the Key to Vector Sigma, and Ratchet assumes it's because Optimus doesn't believe he will survive his confrontation with Unicron. And you can see it in how Optimus acts. He doesn't face the humans or anyone when asked what will happen to him. And he choses Jack to hold onto the Key because he's impressed by how much Jack has grown since he met him. Ratchet also mentioned that Optimus was once like Jack in his younger days.

What do the Key and the Matrix have in common? They are both dead-vital and important artifacts to Cybertron. Which means, they are both MacGuffins. What do MacGuffins do? And what did the Matrix do in Part III? "Light our darkest hour". Jack now holds basically another Matrix to "light our darkest hour." Things look pretty bleak right now, don't they? The Autobots are leaderless (until either Ratchet or Arcee step in as acting leader). Megatron has Optimus wrapped around his finger as his protege. And Optimus is, well, Optimus. Watch how badly the Autobots get their asses kicked if Megatron siccs Optimus on them. This is another "darkest hour", and things are no doubt gonna get worse before they get better.

So Jack has the Key. His Matrix. With which he will save the day and light the darkest hour by bringing Optimus back to being Optimus. "The Key to Vector Sigma will light our darkest hour." The Key is what is going to bring back Optimus. Now let's look at the Matrix again.

[​IMG]

We see this shot of the Matrix right before he uses it to kill Unicron and he loses his memories. Why would we see a shot of the Matrix within Optimus when we're about to see it in its' full glory saving the world? It's blink or you miss it foreshadowing.

[​IMG]

Hello ladies. Look at the shape of the "heart" of the Matrix. Now look at the picture of the Key. Look at the shape. Matrix, Key. Matrix, Key. Matrix, Key.

[​IMG]

The Matrix and the Key are about the same shape. Optimus gave the Key to Jack because he believed him to be the next "Prime" who would light their darkest hour. Optimus likely knew the risk of death was very high as it is, but in case he did lose his memories, he gave it to Jack (for all we know, he knew losing his memories or death were his options, hence why he didn't face the humans when asked). The shot of the Matrix before Optimus uses it is the hint to us to realize, that's how he will come back. Jack will take the Key, unite it with Optimus's Matrix, and it will restore not only the wisdom of the Matrix, but Optimus' memories himself, and he will become Optimus Prime once again.

The shape, while not perfect, could be fixed. Yes the Key isn't the exact same shape, but we saw it transform into a smaller form for Jack. Who's to say it can't transform to fit the Matrix? It's likely where Optimus has kept the Key all this time anyway. But that is the biggest hole in my theory right now, the shapes not being the same. But even then, maybe it doesn't need to be a perfect puzzle piece, but it could simply be jabbed into him like Sam did with the Matrix in ROTF.

So, any thoughts? Comments? It's not a perfect theory, but it's an epiphany I had.

2. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Vector Sigma is part of the matrix in prime?

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I agree that the key is gonna play a big part. But everything else you said is kinda reaching.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I really don't like that idea. I'd rather Optimus re-learn everything, to grow back into his shoes. I really don't need an "Oh hai" solution here.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    This is only a theory. We don't know anything about Vector Sigma in this continuity (though I haven't read Exodus and Exiles, so maybe we do, but I don't, silly me).

6. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

7. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    This...

^^That too!!

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's a coincidence at best. I'm actually going to be disappointed if this is the solution they have.

9. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I have to agree.

I DO suspect the Key will be significant, though.

The obvious, easy plot is that Orion Pax spends some time with the Decepticons, grows disillusioned with them, enough that when he encounters Jack again, Jack can give him a rousing speech and Orion makes the same decision he made to oppose Megatron that he did milennia ago... then throw in some stuff about the Key restoring his memories, yadda yadda yadda.

Y'know what would be cooler? If Orion finds out about his past... the TRUTH... but sees it through the idealistic eyes of his youth. He sees... and decides he was wrong. That in making that speech to the Council, in accepting the mantle of Prime, and in betraying his mentor and friend, he personally was responsible for starting the war that devastated Cybertron, and all but rendered his entire species extinct. And that the best way to atone is aid Megatron in doing whatever it takes to rebuild.

NOW you've got a 'Darkest Hour' situation.

10. ahunmaster

ahunmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THIS. I think you just blew my mind.

Adding on to that, what if he remembers only that part of his past at first and then chooses to aid Megatron because of that?

And then what would happen when the rest of his memory starts to come back?

What would happen to him then?

Would Jack be able to save him even then?

11. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

I only hope the Key doesn´t become a cheap Deux Ex Machina like Sari´s one.
    I even prefer if Jack manages to convince Orion by speeching the same ideals Optimus taught to him rather than by a "magic tool" of memory recover.

12. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Maybe that's why the show is called 'Prime'?

13. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jack could just use it as a sign that Optimus trusted him. Orion dwells on that thought for a little bit before realizing the truth. Win/Win... unless you're Megatron of course. :lol 

jD001

14. Anti Theon

Anti Theon Well-Known Member

A bit of a stretch, but I did get the feeling that Optimus handing over the Key was channeling Spock from "The Wrath of Khan" when he melded with McCoy and said "Remember" right before he went into the toxic reactor room.

Instead of "The Search for Spock" we could have "The Search for Optimus." Instead of a Genesis Planet they could journey back to the dead (and filled with undead) planet of Cybertron.

If Jack is like Optimus before he was a Prime, he could end up walking in the very footprints of Orion Pax. Hell, Jack could end up having to revive a comatose Primus long enough to get a backup copy of the Matrix of Leadership. He might meet another of Optimus' mentors. Alpha Trion for example, standing in for Merlin with the Key standing in for the Sword in the Stone.

We've clearly been set up for a heroic arc with Jack by both Ratchet's comments and Prime's last actions as himself.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like that idea - especially with the whole "Alpha Trion as Merlin" thing. Maybe that will be what this "in space" arc will be all about?

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    An intresting thought if Jack revives Optimus's memorys in a manner similer to how Sam brought Prime to life in ROTF.It does sounds a bit rushed though and I think Team Prime is going to Cybertron instead to find out how to bring Prime's memorys back.

17. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If Alpha Trion,Vector Prime, & Nexus Prime appear in Prime than it's make some true about their last decedent,Orion/Optimus.

18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    ^ this also :) 

19. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    ... Damn. Anti-Theon's theory sounds a helluva lot better than mine.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope this happens instead of him litterally getting his memory back from the Key.

I really dislike them solving all problems with plot devices, But you know the writers like their deus ex machina endings.