Jack Reacher

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gordon_4, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The first trailer for the film adaptation of Lee Child's Jack Reacher stories has been released:

Jack Reacher - Official Trailer (HD) - YouTube

These are basically Mills and Boon for men: Jack Reacher is a massive mary sue of a character but they're good for a trashy read.

First impressions provide me with a sort of 50/50 view. The fight scenes and gun play look to be well choreographed; the feel of the whole thing seems in line with the novels in so far as I can tell.

On the not so hot side: Tom Cruise is playing Jack Reacher, which is weird because he's a tiny fellow and Jack Reacher is like six foot five. This other one may be a mistake and some misdirection but the materials seem to describe him as a homicide detective....which he is not.

In all novels (bar flashback ones) Jack Reacher is a former member of the United States Army Military Police and in his own words, "Hard men need harder cops". Also, his schtick is basically 'walking the Earth' and he more or less sort of falls into things as opposed to seeking them out which is the impressioon the trailer gives.

Personally, I think they'd be better off making a miniseries about the Jack Reacher novels and adapting Matthew Reily's Scarecrow series.....those would be fun action movies.

2. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

As somebody who hasn't read the novels, I say it looks like a decent film. However, I couldn't help but notice how tiny he was in that fight scene, despite him destroying those guys.

After showing this to someone who HAS read all the books, she thinks it looks good, however, Tiny Tom can pull off the character in acting, but NOT in size. This bugged her a lot.

3. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tom Cruise has become box office poison ever since his crazed Oprah couch jumping and bent Scientology beliefs become public knowledge around the time of "War of the Worlds" (which flopped because of his preaching interviews while supposed to be promoting it), and I'm glad people are sick of him. Literally, the only 'hit' movie he's had in almost the past DECADE has been "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" and it's all but certain this thing is going to royally flop too. Not just because Cruise is in it, but because it also doesn't look very good. Looks like "Drive" meets any random generic Jason Statham action flick.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    How could anyone think Tom Cruise would be a suitable pick in either talent or phyisique? I'm amazed that Lee Child let them do that.

Also, boo on them changing the title.

5. Primal1987

Primal1987 Creator Of The OptiBrony

News Credits:
    War Of The Worlds made 234 million domestic and 591 worldwide off a 132 million dollar budget. Hardly a flop. Cruise's antics didn't start affecting his Box Office appeal until Mission Impossible III.

As for Jack Reacher, this looks like a more action oriented version of Drive, though that's only what I'm getting from the trailers, the novel is most likely different.

My biggest concern isn't Cruise, but the title. Didn't Paramount see how John Carter did?

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well it isn't as if he's Stephen King or J.K. Rowling: he's unlikely to have the same pull or experiance in dealing with the Hollywood machine and just heard 'Tom Cruise will be in the movie based on your books'.

The Jack Reacher books are sort of like James Bond: each one has its own name, but is the adventure of Jack Reacher. I am curious to know which one they plan to use as the basis for the movie.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Honestly, I'll never understand why Tom Cruise is so hated these days.

Yes, he believes in some scientology bullshit, who cares, he's an excellent actor and a nice guy, To the flying HELL with his beliefs, he could believe in the flying spaghetti monster for all I know, he's still a brillant actor.

Looks pretty cool, especially the fighting scenes. I might give it a watch.

8. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I think the movie looks pretty cool. It looks like a mix between Drive and The Fast and the Furious and that is a good thing because Fast Five and Drive were two of my favorite films of last year. I'm really interested in reading the novels now.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    No it's not necessarily that, he's actually expressed his approval. Of course, it could be just lip service...

It's "One Shot"

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If I have to say something positive about Tom Cruise, is that I really appreciate the efforts he puts into learning gunplay and martial arts/defensive tactics for his action roles. As a martial artist and a (very) amatur non-owner gun enthusiest its really cool.

For this movie he is, sadly, too short :p  And he's still nuttier than a fucking Picnic bar.

Well we must all pay the piper I suppose, and you could do worse than Tom Cruise. I mean you could do better but for a largely untested I.P. its not a bad score.

Oh okay, best get to re-reading that one :) 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hate to bump an old thread, but I watched this movie this week and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I am not a fan of Tom Cruise, but I think he played the character well. I like the story, and everything was pretty well done. The typical "guy stuff" (war vets, fightin', snarkiness, and car chases) were pretty cool.

Speaking of car chases, hearing that Chevelle was pretty awesome. Mmmmm :cool: 

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i am not a cruise fan either, but this film was still great. loved it. the only way it would of been better, if it was Cruise doing an R. :lol 

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    "A hooker would have gotten the joke."

:lol 

14. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

I am a fan of the Jack Reacher novels.

I actually am a fan of most of Tom Cruise's movies.

I think it's absolute donkey crap that Tom Cruise IS Jack Reacher.

For a while I was going to not watch the movie in protest, but I think I'll download it and give it one shot (pun intended).

15. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I didn't know anything about the character, but I actually liked this movie. Having low expectations probably helped.

This movie did have some nice cars.

16. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I haven't watched the movie yet, but a buddy of mine was an extra in the movie. I think he played a cop.

He was an extra in Dark Knight Rises as well