Iwata talks about nintendo's online service, and the virtual console

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Valkysas, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9556

highlight is definately him saying that newly created VC games will be around 500 yen each. hopefully that price will be about the same for the older titles too. I like the idea of getting DS demos sent to the Wii overnight as well.

Nothing but good news coming from the big N. :thumb 

2. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Yeah, Nintendo can stop trying to convince me, there is no doubt I'll be buying one. hehe

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

The DS demo downloading sounds kickass. $5 sounds a little steep for old games though. I dont think I'd like to pay that much for NES games; maybe SNES though.

4. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Well, what he's saying is that he is basically opening the market to smaller design groups. In the old days, games used to be a few people in a garage working on a computer. This is the way many big companies were started. The first example off my head is Cyan. Myst was a project that came together with about five or six people working on it. What this means is that Nintendo is also turning game expectations upside-down as well. Because of the need for games to be a fully functional artificial environment, game designers also need to be physicists in addition to being writers, artists, and programmers. The more complex the game, the more bugs in it, and the more people needed to make it perfect, more people people require more money, and that means the price of games goes up. What Iwata is saying is that now we can go back to garage games, which could be produced by people with a great idea but a low budget.

5. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I like the idea of the Virtual Console. Iwata seems to have taken the idea of the VC as a haven for garage gaming from some of MS's Xbox LIVE ideas, but since it's a good idea, why not get into it?

My only concern is that I hope you don't need broadband to download old games--but considering how small most of the games I'd want are (NES, SNES) I don't suppose it would be an issue. Hopefully DSL would be fine.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It is possible that there was some influence. However, Wii's Virtual Console is the descendant of an experimental "budget" game console meant to compete with console pirates in the Asian market, called iQue. The Nintendo iQue has been around since 2003 as a way to offer N64 and Super Famicom games cheaply without cartridges and packaging. The small step from using this to sell older games cheaply to letting small developers make new ones cheaply is a natural and obvious progression that Nintendo could have made with or without inspiration from Microsoft. :) 

Nintendo has provided low-cost media-free publishing options for developers even earlier too, but never world-wide. Near the end of the Super Famicom's life, there was the Nintendo Power system (no relation to the American magazine) where gamers could download games from a sort of vending machine onto a flashable cartridge. Sega published a version of Columns this way. Before that, Nintendo had a system for downloading SFC games via satellite and even playing them on a special online service. Even before that, Nintendo sold blank Famicom Disk System disks that budget games could be written to from a station in a store, much more cheaply than the already low-cost prepackaged game disks. What Nintendo is doing with VC is nothing new for them, they're just doing it through a more convenient model and on a much larger scale than they've ever tried before.

7. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

....you gotta be freaking kidding nintendo is overloading features for a low price....

this is getting harder and harder to not buy at launch

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And here I actually thought I'd be able to pass it up. Damn you Nintendo, damn you.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

FOr the VC-xb Live, if it was Sony, it'd sound something like:

but to play garage games, that'd be cool. and 500yen is reasonable.

and to be able to get demos while i sleep is cool too.

10. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

500 yen != $5

500.00 JPY = 4.48146 USD currently.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sweet...the release can't come soon enough for me!

12. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know I find it funny that Sony are hounded and slated when they create a controller with similar features as Nintendo, but when Nintendo create something similar to XBox Live's Marketplace (some might say, blatantly copying it) it's regarded as a great idea.

Just my view.

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I would say that it is a bit different. I'm not sure exactly how the Live Maretplace works, but I think it is for game expansions and things. If it is for old games and independant games as well then Microsoft hasn't been talking about it. It isn't that Nintendo created the idea, it is that they have applied it in a cool new way.
    With Sony, they had no plans from the beginning to use motion sensing. They saw that people were reacting well to the Nintendo motion sensing, and instead of taking that and springing off into an even better, more revoltuionary idea, they took a step backwards and used thier old controller with the less sophisticated motion sensing tacked on at the last minute.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They copied nothing. They pioneered this back with the super famicom satellaview.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

When Sony is accused of ripping somethign off, it generally doesn't even resemble something they've done prior to what they're supposedly ripping off. In this case, the Virtual Console sounds like it resembles Live Arcade, but it also resembles no fewer than four different things Nintendo has done in the past with their game consoles before Live Arcade existed. That lends Nintendo quite a bit of credibility that Sony doen't have.

16. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    :D  Can't wait!

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

:p  Point is, thats being close to $5 is too much. I would be willing to pay anything thats about $3 or under.

and when I look at Japanese currency, I just imagine a decimal point in there. It gives a rough idea about how much I'll be paying for the product without me having to look up exchange rates.;) 

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I think $5 for an entire NES game is pretty cheap. Actually a lot of those games now cost an awful lot more. Especially harder to find ones like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    not to mention you dont have to worry about bad contacts, or the cartridge's battery dying on you.

but the only thing he said may be 5 dollars is new games, he said nothing of older games.

20. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

True, but then you could argue that the Marketplace copied Steam, or that all console online services which offer a space for small developers copies the Internet.

What's novel is that console manufacturers are finally opening up a PRACTICAL way for smaller developers to get in the game, with actual distribution. That's always been the case on the PC side, but not really for consoles (homemade hacks aside). That it's online is almost beside the point.

-XCN-