I've tried to get behind it but can't

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by wetware, Mar 16, 2008.

1. wetware

wetware Member

Ok so I've painfully sat through Headmaster and i can't do it anymore. I'm wasn't sure if it was the fact that i lived through G1 all the way up to now, watching every incarnation of TF, then something hit me. My six year old son turns away from the TV, looks at me and say " Dad... this show sucks" as he left to go play with toys.
    The anime style is fine for those who can stand it anymore since it's everywhere, but taking it to TF breaks my heart. I know it's been progressing more and more that way for years AND the show's/toys originated from over seas, but i can't stand it anymore.
    Well to those of you who enjoy it, more power to you and i hope you find and have the chance for years to come to continue to enjoy TF related shows. As for me, well until it's reigned in and brought back at least a little to original style and seriousness, I'm out of it.
    Time to transform and roll out. Wetware

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's funny because my 16 years old cousin loved it, and he's one of these guys that hate cartoons and does nothing but hover around myspace and play with his friends (their band, they suck by the way).

3. wetware

wetware Member

Yeah it's odd who it's hitting. I mean you have people like your cousin who disliked anything of the sort and also the hardcore fans who find it somewhat of a duty to love anything that has an autobot or depticon logo on it, and then the people who truly enjoy it... for whatever reason. Those who i have chatted with about it, save for a couple, can't stand it. I'm 30 so it may just be the old school in me like i said. And by no means am i attempting to flame the show or anyone who watches and enjoys it. It's just not something i can enjoy. At least I'll always have my G1 box sets *sniff sniff* heh. Take care.

4. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Well it cant be your age or that your oldschool dude cause Im 32 and I watched G1 on saturday mornings as a kid and I think Animated is the best Transformers cartoon to date whats funny is I cant watch G1 really anymore ill chuck on the movie on occasion but the series just doestn entertain me at all while Im eagerly anticipating every episode of animated.

5. Onoj

Onoj Active Member

I don't know why people suddenly complain about animated sucking so much and transformers not being serious any more when compared to the crap we've been getting for the past few years (AEC) its a masterpiece.

Your son probably wouldn't have been able to sit through an episode of armada or energon either. At least in animated they actually fight each other instead of yelling things like "CANNON BLAST POWER!" as if they were pokemon and firing off some huge shot from recycled footage and that's it.

6. wetware

wetware Member

Yeah your probably right. It may just be a simple case of overload. I remember waking up SO early on saturday morning (the only time you could truey stand a chance at getting a child up happily that early) to watch toons. Now i get up with my kids and almost every cartoon is nearly the same anime style. Don't get me wrong, i can appreciate that style, i have more than my share of anime's, I just feel there is a place for it. Or it could be that pokemon did me dirty LOL, it was EVERYWHERE. I still have nightmares of shopping for xmas lol.

7. wetware

wetware Member

Eh I wasn't so much saying it sucked, being only one person i don't have the right to say it sucks, just not my thing. And yeah my son has watched just about every incarnation of TF since I've always been a big fan of the franchise and have sets of everything i could get my hands on. The seriousness issue... well maybe I put that a bit wrong, I realize it's a toon and all and it's just there for our entertainment but I personally can't dig on hound that portly with huge chibi eyes lol. Sorry didn't mean to rub you the wrong way if i had.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, maybe if you want to actualy get some "seriousness" out of Animated you should wait for Megatron Rising + Season 2, I heard somewhere that stuff gets way less goofy after Megatron gets his new body.

9. wetware

wetware Member

Yeah I'm by no means above giving it another shot , so that's what I'll do.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lol  at your kid saying the show sucks, he's badass :lol 

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's okay not to like it. I didn't, and still don't, like Beast Wars.

Seriously, it's like "WTF mate?" and doubly so when Rhinox beat Megatron with a fart.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hey, at least you said you don't like it in a very well written and relatively un-insultive manner... unlike some people on this site.:) 

Well, it was a super-energon-powered fart.;)  Megatron had it coming anyway.:lol 

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    its a shame ya gave up on it now, cause the episode in 2 weeks is supposed to be the darkest, most serious episode yet-Megatron Rising. i mean, if you waant to quit now, i wont stop ya, but i recommend seeing the rest of season one first

14. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    and its not Anime style, its actually an American style partially inspired by the Japanese style cartoons.

15. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    Uh... what in the world are you talking about? The visual style of Animated is distinctly western, not anime. The thin, curved limbs and emanciated bodies bears more of a resemblance to Tex Avery's cartoons than the likes of Gundam et al. G1 was far more anime in appearence than this. Saying you hate Animated because you don't like anime style makes you a hypocrite.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

No, it just makes him incorrect.

17. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    or both lol

18. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I'm 27 and I love it. Maybe the kid in you just died, cause I think this show, storytelling wise, is better than G1. Removing the novelty, nostalgia, and 80s cartoon factor, G1 is rather error filled, inconsistent, predictable and wacky. But it was great for it's time. Move on to the modern era, while I don't like the anime style as much, this is just a superior show. Decepticons who actually pose a threat. Yes the human villians are zany, but who else but someone with a screw loose would attempt to battle a robot at least 3 times their size?

And factor in the care that the directors of the show put in to nod to the original?!? What? Like they actually care about us old people that watch a cartoon aimed at the 5-12 age bracket?

I guess I don't understand how Headmaster could make you stop watching a show when G1 featured such GEMS as B.O.T, Hoist Goes Hollywood and The Girl who Loved Powerglide. When the animation featured glaring errors such as Mirage chilling in the decepticon base, two Starscreams standing side by side, or central members of a combiner team standing in front of their combined form.

I don't know who you've talked to, but the majority of people I've spoken with may not care for the art style, but like the show. The same thing happened when Beast Wars came out with the whole "trukk not munkey!!" thing. And Beast Wars was a total break from G1, in art style and story telling.

19. Eradicator94

Eradicator94 Banned

Feel bad for ya, cuz in two weeks Megs is going to get his body.

And it shall be badass.

20. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I'm 33 and I also have been enjoying animated. While I didn't think Headmaster was a great episode, I did like it and laughed a few times (in a with it, not at it kind of way).

While I don't think Animated rates anywhere near as good as Beast Wars (I skipped most of season 1 so I never saw the Rhinox farts episode, which probably would have knocked BW down a peg for me if I ever saw it), Animated is a solid show with lots of shouts to older fans, and it's waaaaaayyy better than G1. Seriously, take off the rose-colored glasses and rewatch G1. Really rewatch it. That show was bad. Bad. Baaaaaaaad. I tried rewatching it recently and literally found nothing to enjoy about it. But then, back in my own childhood, I always did prefer the comics to the cartoons. Nothing in G1 compares to Thrill of the Hunt or Along Came A Spider.

And your son. Your poor, poor son. You realize he's defining what's good and bad by what he's watched at this young, impressionable age? And from the sound of it, you practically weaned him on AEC. The poor kid has an INCREDIBLY skewed vision of what's good and what's not good. AEC makes G1 look like a masterpiece, but since that's what your son's been watching he doesn't realize he's defined what's good on total garbage.