I've had a revelation...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chaosbringer_00, Sep 25, 2007.

1. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

You know, I've always been very open about the fact that I'm a nerd. When I introduce myself, it tends to be something along the lines of "Hi, I'm Matt, nice to meet you. Me? Oh, I'm a total nerd." However, I've always stayed away from being too specific. I'm not sure why, maybe because I felt that it would be harder for people to insult me if I was just a nerd, not a TF nerd, Final Fantasy nerd, etc.

Recently, though, I've begun to care less and less whether or not people know I love Transformers. I certainly think the Movie has helped make it a more acceptable thing, but considering yourself a fan is still pretty geeky. I guess what I'm saying is that I've really come to terms with who I am. I'm a TF geek, and I'll be damned if I care what anyone thinks of me as a result. I recently got a backpack for school that has a big ol' 'Con logo on it and says "to punish and enslave." And you know what? I love it. I enjoy walking around the school with it on my back. And if some (or most) girls think I'm wierd (assuming, of course, they don't already), then that means that those girls aren't worth bothering with anyway. People have to accept me for who I am, and I'm not about to change for anyone.

So now that I've said that, does anyone else have any similar experiences? Do you desperately try to hide your interests? Or are you open about it?

2. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Good for you. :thumb 

The movie has created many more fans here now, but things have not changed for me. I usually don't straight up tell acquaintances about my hobbies anyway (I'm usually occupied listening to them talk about their own hobbies).

3. Omega77

Omega77 Crystal City

Be proud to be a TF Nerd/Geek! Embrace your Geekness! Come on out of that Geek Closet!!

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would tell anyone who wanted to know about my life's hobby of collecting Transformers. Anyone who has ever seen my collection knows it's an adult passion. It's good to be a TF Geek! Congrats!

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Good for you :thumb .

I too have had a similar revelation. Most peole still don't know about me being a big HP fan and TF fan, though the people I know don't often talk about hobbies, so I've never been asked if I have any hobbies.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I do not tell everyone about myself. I figure that if people get to know me, they will better understand my hobby.

I am a closet nerd.

7. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

It was hard to tell my parents ( I am 32 btw ) that I am collecting transformers again....but after I passed that hurdle it came alot easier to tell other people like my brother, who was always a jock and as most older brothers do... made fun of my toys in the past (when I was in the teens anyways) But after they seen my collection ( BT's,Alt's and Masterpiece) and how far transformers had come since the 80's they had a little more appreciation for my hobby...even tho they still think its weird.

I am glad I dont have to worry about the ladies though since I already married one and did not start recollecting them till long after I was married and she could not exactly leave me since she just now got me broke in... :lol  . So it was kind of a captive audience.

But other then that I have no problems telling people that I collect Transformers and play video games.:cool: 

8. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

When I was in high school 1985-1988 I guarded the secret that I loved Transformers. It would have been something that my peers would have used to tease me to no end. (I know this for a fact because I let it slip, they teased me, and then I joked that I "got them" and they fell for it. Luckily they fell for my redirection...)

When I went to college, though I was very outspoken about my TF passion and didn't care about what anyone thought. A larger campus will do that. People in college for the most part don't care what you collect.

9. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most people collect something at some point in their lives.

If someone seriously thinks you're weird for collecting TF's, and tells you this, point out how idiotic the other collecting hobbies are:

Coins and bills. Who the hell gets money just to hang onto it and stare at it?
    Stamps: They're for mailing things, yet some how people think they're worth collecting
    Sports cards: Pieces of easily ruined cardboard with a picture and some stats that change every year

And those are the more "traditional" collectors hobbies that are just as idiotic or silly as anything anyone can come up with to say about collecting TF's. Then there's all the other crap, beanie babies, random sports stuff, dolls, and so on. Plenty of things you can say about those too.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm honest with myself a lot more these days. Used to keep it quiet, but what's the point? I love my robots and I'm proud of it.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a long time (from the ages of about 10 to 24!) I was quite secretive about my love for all things TF. I mean, at school it wasn't really considered 'school' so the less said there the better, until I encountered fellow 'closet' fans around whom I could openly discuss it.

This kinda continued until I was 24, where few people outside the 'inner circle' of closest friends knew about it. Then I thought "What the heck, 80s nostalgia is cool now" so I wore a TF t-shirt to work one day, and most of the comments were from people who remembered the character displayed (Soundwave), commenting that it was kinda cool. Generally a positive reaction, though people in one clique looked at me like I was mentally ill. I just thought "Screw them, if they don't like it - tough!" and refused to let their opinion bother me.

Since then I'll admit to wearing my nerdiness on my sleeve- I've got the Autobot insignia as my phone's wallpaper, classic transforming sound as a text tone, I'm often wearing one of several TFs and anyone who comes to visit sees shelves full of 'bots. :) 

I think the pinnacle of this came back in April when I wore that same Soundwave t-shirt to a friend's birthday party and a female friend admired the fact that I was so open about being a major TF fan - she called it 'geek chic'.

Now I guess, with the movie it's pretty much socially acceptable to be a TF fan nowawadays - when we have our 'last-Friday-of-the-month' dress-down days at work, I'm not the only person in the building with a TF t-shirt!

Omnius - Transformer nerd, and proud of it. :D 

12. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

In the summer I wear a lot of sleevless/tank tops.The Autobot, and Decepticon tatoos on my biceps kinda proclaim my nerdiness/geekiness :) 

13. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All of my friends knew long before the movie, and they didn't care. Now, they care, but in a good way. Because the movie was badass!

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Alot of people respect me know,since the TFTM Came out.

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Goody for you OP. Now group hug and we can all share a cry!

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let me ask my transformers here at my desk at work and see what they think... honestly, i am glad you are more forthecoming about it, but I never had an issue. Back in high school, I was openly geeky about video games, but that became "ok" as well (There are limits). Also, probably due to my openess about it, nobody really thinks me a nerd or a geek or anything. I bet if you are a bit more honest about it nobody will think its' a geeky thing anyways.

EDIT: Oh, and not to say I don't think I am a nerd myself, because obvioulsy I am here posting in the middle of my work day.

17. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I take my toys, not just transformers, but mostly transformers, to work and play with them while I'm on calls. I've never been particularly secretive about buying them, except to my mother who thinks I should be spending thousands of dollars on new clothes when I go out instead of buying a $25 transformer.

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    im not a nerd. i dont know what you guys are talking about.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I still feel pretty awkward about letting it be known that I'm a Transformers fan in public. If I had friends who are into Transformers that share the same classes I have in college, then I probably wouldn't. However, I don't think there's any Transformers fans at my college... twice I wore my TF shirt, and nobody even noticed.

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't openly reveal that I am a Transfan. But if the word ever comes up, and it does now because of the movie, I proudly boast that I am a huge fan. I don;t admit that I collect toys to everyone that mentions Transformers but at the same time if it comes up I will tell people. Being a transfan is an aspect of my life, Im a plastic crack addict I can't help it.

Is it a defining part of my life? Naw there are so many other interest and hobbies that I have that are considered "cool" but dammit I love the geek within.

So after all this rambling I finish with, I have no issues telling people I am a Transfan, except if I'm arround transvestites cuz they will get the wrong idea.

Thanx
    Transbot90210