I've gotten bored with the toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dalarsco, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If his negative post brings you down so much, maybe you should reconsider why you collect if one other collector's personal feelings affect you so :peoples: 

2. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Doesn't bother me as such like that, as I've been around this sort of thing many a time, and yes it used to, but not anymore. But you have to admit, all the others are coming out of the woodwork now due to the atmosphere set. ;) 

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    On the original topic (I believe this thread is not about TF vs GoBots :p ), when somebody says "I got sick of collecting toys", it may also depend on his/her age. If they are like 16 years old, they might be simply growing out of a childhood hobby.
    Here I often read about such members who have returned to TF collecting after 10 years or so.
    I am a newbie TF fan, but was a Gundam/Votoms fan some 20 years ago :D 

4. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, 'tis the way of the interweb. But sometimes it's a good thing to help people get out of collecting ruts they've found themselves in. I'm all for anything that makes an individual collector happy whether it be having a complete set of toys or shrinking down their collection to a select few they really like. Sorry for being snappy but I've been spending a lot of time on some star wars sites and those guys need to relax and see a therapist. Guess some of their stupid bitchiness was rubbing off on me.

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I can relate to that. I burned the GF episodes to DVD, and I watch them again when I get a new show character. I'm also watching the Cybertron episodes (thanks to Dark Prime's excellent work!), mostly for the quips, one-liners and movie quotes in the script. The show does keep me interested in the toys and vice-versa. But the toys keep me interested in the toys. Transformers are so fun to flip around, that magic has never lost it's touch on my imagination!

The biggest issue currently causing me burnout is the schedule of upcoming repaints. Now that my collection is in the quadruple digits, I'm out of room and out of the completionist business. Moving forward, I'll only buy repaints that are on the show, or new molds or remolds. Which still means I'll be buying over half of what's released.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I like Transformers. I like Gobots. They have clever transformations from vehicles to robots. They are neat toys! I like them all.

8. wannabeGeorge

wannabeGeorge Art Mercenary

I've definitely gotten sick of the toys, which is sad because they really are the best TF toys made thus far. GF designs are awesome, but it clearly isn't about the toys themselves for me, it's about the characters. Probably shouldn't surprise me, but it IS sad. I hope Hasbro invests a little more in the cartoon next go round.

As far as Gobots go, I really enjoy the cartoon. Something about the wacky, over-the-top character designs and voices was great. Campy - yes, childish - yes, fun - yep.

9. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I'm slowing down my collecting a lot too and may be selling off more of my collection. I really like the Cybertron line and the story in Galaxy Force was quite good. I'm hoping to get all the show characters but I'm doing a lot of trades for them. I'm also going to keep buying the Takara G1 reissues to complete my 1985-86 lines of TFs but probably no more than that. I like Alternators too but I'm not a completist anymore. I won't buy Rollbar and Ricochet. I will buy Prime and Nemesis Prime (if he's not a chase variant). I'll probably buy all the neo G1 figures or Masterpiece figures but after that probably not much.

10. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Part of me want to slow down my TF collection or at least sell most of the figures I don't care for but I am just too lazy to have to ship them out individually. I may do it eventually cuz my space is rapidly shrinking due to not only TF but SOTA, ML, S6, and other figures I am into right now. But as for getting bored with toys NEVER I say. However to bring more enjoyment out of them I may start a funnies or action comic with them and post them online.

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I never said anyone should stop collecting. I was merely commenting on MY lack of urge to buy them. I think that they are excellent, I just have no huge urge to buy them, while at the same time have developed a taste for comics. Same thing happened when I was 11 with video games instead of comics. Also, that was the BM year so many of the toys were shite anyway. Maybe I'll be bitten by the bug again for the movie, like I was when I saw RID.

12. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Yes I've gotten bored. I've gotten two TFs in the past half year, both alts (ok...there was perhaps a minicon two pack inbetween there). Next TF I plan on getting is rumble and then MP Starscream; the list isn't that long.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    we all go thorugh changes in life, same thing with collecting , for me the new stuff is cool and all but I dont buy it cause it has no intrest in me. G1 on the other hand is a big part of my childhood growing up and therefore I collect them. I like the G1 cartoon even it has it faulst that we all know of but hey its still G1. I have changend a bit when it comes to colelcting over the years..the most recent drop I did was I am not buy anything new of Sw unless its a Kotobukia kit or a VOTC. I wonder if Sweden ever got any go bots so I cant really compare but hey each to its own.

14. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I know what you mean. There seems to be only a few TFs that I really want. Even a lot on my shelf has ended up on my son's shelf. I keep my Primes, Starscreams, Alts and a few select more up, but thats about it.

On the Go-Bot note....They ruled. To me they were even more fun than many of the Transformers that were out at that time. And IMO, Cy-Kill still has one of the best motorcycle to robot modes out there.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That plus the Rock Lords. Look kids! From Robot to Rock!

Oh, and there are new "Go Bots" the Transformers for pre-schoolers. ;) 

Anyway, back on topic. If you don't like Transformers as much anymore, then leave them on the shelf for those of us who do. :D 

16. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ok, fair enough. I guess I did come off pretty harsh. I do wonder what will happen once cybertron ends. There'll be a small gap before the movie, so I'll probably fill it will getting some more G1 stuff, or save up for the movie figures. :) 

Heh, that happened to me when I was 12/13 (about 1988). I stopped collecting transformers, so I never actually got (or even knew of), any G2 stuff back then. It was all due to going to highschool and stuff. It's only last year I've gotten back into it, and it just happened to be when cybertron was starting here. :) 

So yea, I guess the only real difference is back then I didn't have an internet message board to announce that I wasn't collecting anymore. ;) 

Understood. It's cool dude. :) 

17. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Interesting thread, and perhaps this is inevitable.

I too have gotten somewhat out of buying TFs, but mostly because we go months between Alternators and the Cybertron line only offers a few figures that I'm into... and as much as I hate to admit this, there is some merit to the idea that the shitty-crapfest of a cartoon is stealing away that interest. Hell, I bought just about every single Beast Wars figure and not all of them were gems. The cartoon compelled me to buy them and made the whole expericnce much more fun.

I still think back to the endorphin rush of buying some great figures (mainline or Alt) and I still seek that specific avenue out to repeat the experience... so I am far from done with them and I have gotten re-excited by future Alts, the Neo G1 line and the transformable Titaniums..

regardless, "You can't stay with the same high forever." - Warren Oates as G.T.O in Two Lane Blacktop

As for Gobots vs. TFs-- both were great but it is clear to me why one has endured and the other has failed.

By comparrison, TFs are elegant, complex and beautiful. Take a look at a typical G1 TF with all of its accessories and properly applied stickers. Though there were some exceptions (of course) they are art. The proportions, the colors, the details, the weight, the stoic and wonderful head and face sculpts, the attention to the feel of the joints... just awesome and timeless. They often have technical flaws, fragility, etc but any ground made up by Gobots on this was lost by the wonderful characterization that Transformers had. The TF cartoon really avoided talking down to kids... many of the plots were complex and the conflicts were serious. Gobots was entertaining and all....but goofy.

If the TF toys weren't so gorgrous, I would just chalk it up to marketing... but there was more than that.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

:lol 

You're either a comedic genius or a bunny boiler.

19. 'nok

'nok undead space monkey

Who owns Tonka? HASBRO so Hasbro Owns Go-bots and alas there is no reason for them to compete with there own product. I love go-boits they are simple fun. some suck but hey look at the TFs Come on Deployers, Action masters, some of the pretenders, BW Mutants, beast ridders, and armada lazerbeak THERE have been turds in both lines, I rember this though for the price of a G1 car I could get a super gobot, a regular gobot and a soda, so when you compare quality scratch the cars compare wiht the minicars, jumpstarters, and rumble and casettes they were CLOSE to the same price scale still higher, Brawns face VS Crasher close Gears face sculpt Vs coptor winner coptor in my opinion, coptur at least has a nose. but enough ranting on gobots I know the burn out feeling I'm an OCD completist G1 to current and being down below 50 pcs for the hole with a LOT of good japanese figs i'm running out of horizons, I mean whats next? There is little that I've heard on the next cartoon and armergatron trilogy was less spectacular than the sillyness of G1 season 3 now THERE was a horrid cartoon animation faults phyics from Bloody Stupid Johnson and a complete inatention to backround detail. But I still love em all. i've burnt out before, i'll burn out agian, things will be bought Tfed and binned an latter when my mood swings back around played with. so for those who read this tirate thanks it feels good to vent my opinion.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    o_O 

Was that one sentence just now?! I went cross-eyed halfway through...