Customs: I've got a doozey here; is it possible to enlarge a TF deluxe figure?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by trence5, Jul 28, 2011.

1. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

:eek: 

What's up fellas, it's me again - this time I got one that might be a doozey for you. I have a Classics Optimus mold, er well Henkei Convoy actually, and a version of Megatron that just looks nice. Problem is its the War For Cybertron one from the Generations line that is about the size of a deluxe while Prime is a voyager.
    Is it possible to make a TF deluxe bigger and if so how would you go about increasing its size a step up?

thank you.

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

my best advice would be to check kotoys.com

3. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

Yes keep an eye out for an oversized Knock-Off. But, if the KO makers do what they did with WFC Optimus Prime, it will be a Leader class figure and go nicely with MasterPiece Optimus Prime.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Well, you have to consider modding the WFC Megatron by incorporating new legs or creating a mechanism that extends them. This will affect the transformation, so you'll have to get creative if he can no longer turn into a hover tank.

5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    way out of my skill range but wasnt there a product that expanded in water or something that a guy used to try and take a voyager movie blackout to a leader class figure?

which was a huge stretch but for a bulky deluxe to a voyager isnt that far of one.

he would make a mold of the original piece fill it with the expanding material make the mold, then expand the new piece to desired size, make a new mold of the larger piece and repeat until all the parts are finished. (not sure if this person did or not though)

if the ko market doesnt work out this is an option although i believe it was expensive

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hydrospan. It was a pain to work wit, and is largely off the market AFAIK (As well as its shrinky friend Hydroshrink)

There WAS another similar product under a different brand name that I have yet to see confirmation of being off-the-market, but I can't for the life of me remember its name to check either.

The OTHER option, but you've gotta be really crafty, is to disassemble that megatron, and then piece by piece reproduce all his parts by crafting in styrene and other materials at a slightly larger size.

With the original parts as a template, it's do-able (PP01 Igear Mini MP Prime was prototyped this way), but its a LOT of very precise work.

Personally I'm hoping 3D Scanners and Rapid Prototyping tech will come down in price enough in the next 5-10 years that we'll all soon be able to re-scale a toy at our leisure with a few dozen-hours work :) 

D/L

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Aside from disagreeing with D/L's last point (if we could all just scan designs i'd go out of business!), he's right. Hydrospan is off the market, as i remember the last project i've seen on these boards Hydrospanned was an upscale of Legends ROTF Arcee. Certainly by extension you could do that to Megs, with enough practice, patience and spare Hydrospan.

The best option would be to wait for a KO. Either that or hire someone to replicate it part by part in 3D or in Styrene. I certainly advise against the first one (it'd be a paint, cost a fortune and take forever). In fact, probably the same logic applies for the second one. :lol 

8. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Yes, hydrospan would do that, and yes, it is difficult. it's also expensive. For every part you need to grow, you need three molds. One to make the part, then you cast it in hydrospan. Then you grow the hydrospan to the size you want and make a mold of that. Since the hydrospan is floppy, the part you molded and cast will most likely need work done on it. You clean that one up and make one more mold for your final part. There could be some shortcuts there, but I haven't found any. you need all your parts to fit together really well, so it takes some extra steps.

Treadshot- I disagree with you on the scanner comment. They said the same type of thing when computer graphics started becomig popular in movies "it's the death of the actor", "it's going to elminate model makers". Didn't happen. It is just a tool, and you need someone to guide and weild that tool to make something. you might be able to make things, but a computer will never produce creativity like a person can. And even if something could scan a toy perfectly, you need someone to scale the toy up, fix any issues dealing with that, then set it up for printing.

Randy!

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also want to point out that even if we could scale Hasbro toys cheaply and easily in our workshops, we'd still need creatives like you TSA1 to design NEW parts.

There will always be room for creatives!

D/L

10. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I know for sure I've seen a KO oversized WFC Prime. Go check a knock off site. I'm sure if you do enough digging you'll find one. Sure beats the hours you'd have to put into a full-on scratch build.

11. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

tell me about it........