I've got a blown Transformer here...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aaron, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So yeah, sitting out on the porch, enjoying a cold one, and BOOM the Transformer block on the pole in the alley goes up. So now we're out of power, along with the rest of our block, and after a call to the electric company I've still got retina burn.

Anyone else have anything like this happen to them? Because I'm bored as hell on the laptop scamming the internet off of someone who apparantly isn't aware of security settings on wireless internet.

2. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

Thread title made me :lol 

And yeah, across the street from our old house... I was watching a squirrel run across the line and man, I don't know what he bit through but BOOOM, sucker knocked out the entire block.

And there was one REALLY FRIED squirrel laying on the ground. :D 

3. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

Yesterday there were was a cop, a firetruck, and an ambulance at the 7-11 and all the power was out for about a 2 block radius. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm hoping it was hilarious.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I had a transformer blow before because of a squirrel too, except the squirrel went *POOF* in a puff of smoke.

5. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Oh man, the fried squirrel thing reminded me of a chipmunk story...

My parents have a chipmunk problem in their backyard. They eat my mom's plants (oh heaven forbid that animals try to live in what was once their habitat), so they set out rat traps for them. I always felt sorry for the chipmunks, especially when I found one who just had his leg trapped. I let him out and he scuttled away with his busted leg dragging behind him.

Now, I never got to see this, but according to my 'rents they found a chipmunk who had got himself stuck in THREE of the traps. He got one fore limb stuck in a trap, ran into another trap which snapped a hind limb, then finally he ran into one that snapped his back. So this chipmunk has three rat traps sprung on him. I have to say, I can't feel sorry for an animal that stupid. I wish they had taken a picture of that.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Chipmunks are the devil.

I remember when me and my neibors went out side to see what had to be 20 chipmunks on a small transformer-box. It went down hard, mostly because when we got word form the power company, turns out one of their techs didn't screw on the old replacment box properly. That, and the huge chipmunks, spelled disaster. Everyone, including the chipmunks, were fine, but four houses were without power for 3 days.

7. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

That's... rather... disturbing. :(  Wonder who they'll get to replace poor Alvin in the movie?

And on more fun power going/blowing stories, I was sitting in my car at a stop light one day, in the left turn lane, when a transformer across the street blew. I heard the huge BANG!, saw sparks fly, and saw the big fat power line come down and start dancing on the road right next to my car. I panicked, floored it into a right hand turn across all lanes of traffic, and sped home.

It only dawned on me halfway down the block that my car's made of plastic (Saturn FTW.) Granted that wouldn't have saved me, but still... :lol 

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Did you poke his corpse with a stick?

9. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

No, but I distinctly remember my father calling my mother at work, and the first thing he asked her before even saying hello - "So, what kind of wine goes best with fried squirrel?"

10. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

:lolol 

11. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    And the power's come up and down twice, once with a boom from down the street.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

we was at my cousin's graduation and a balloon flew into the transformer...next thing you know, there was a loud pop and smoke....

the thing is...no power was lost...the school still had power and across the street houses still had power.

kinda cool (thought someone was lighting up fireworks) and scary (couple years ago, there was a shooting at a graduation)...

13. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    BODY MASSAGE!

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Me and the hubby were driving home a few years ago after a huge storm had just blown through the area. We pass the area in front of Costco, no problem. But then we heard a loud BAM and he pulls to the side of the road, by this time we had passed a bridge so all we could see were several lights just flashing in the sky in the area that we just passed. Turns out either a strong wind or somebody hitting a pole caused the domino effect. I believe six poles with transformers on them all went down.

Then, there was the ice storm of 2002. Man, that was CRAZY. For three days there will be spells where we had electricity then we here a loud BAM, see green or purple light outside then the lights go out. For four nights all you heard was trees snapping, crashing to the ground and transformers blowing. It was surreal.

15. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    LOL! Now I'm wondering the same thing.

I've got no real power outage stories. Although I did wake up in the nigh and saw two bright flashes as the power went out some years ago.

Also when a fuse blows here in the house an odd thing happens. My room is on two different breakers, anything plugged in on one half of the room will go out while the other half is still on.

16. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

Ditto with that here! Half the room goes, the other half is fine. We might lose the AC but the television still works (and my computer, thank God.)

Which reminds me of another good power outage story...

Early in the morning before work one day; it's still dark out. My coffee is cold. Solution - put my coffee in the microwave. Turn the microwave on.

TV goes "Bbbzzzzwooo-*OFF*" And so does half the house. And then I hear a pop outside, and notice that the entire block goes dark. Silence for a minute. Then everything comes back on.

Apparently, I drink coffee so strong that it takes out entire blocks worth of power.

17. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    gonna suck when the battery dies on the lappy :p 

though that's strang you have no power, but the person within range with the wireless, has power to run their router

you lucked out there :) 

18. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well the final word was the "neighborhood transformer" was damaged, and it caused a bit of a cascade into the next one. They had to replace ours (after trying to just reset the fuse) and the next one in line before we got power back. And once we did EVERYTHING in the house turned on, and it was my responsibility to get up and turn everything off at midnight.

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    During Hurricane Charlie in 2004, you could stand outside (before the wind hit hard, obviously), and see blue explosions on the horizon every 20-30 seconds as transformers blew all over the city.

20. Lady_Prime

Lady_Prime Prime's Leading Lady

Ebay:
    Oh yea..when a limb hits one of those suckers, it blows up like Star Scream's missile. We had one blow up in front of our house once and it was fireworks...my grandmother called the electric company and it took them quite a few hours to replace it here in NC...

Heather