I've got ~$100 to spend specifically on transformers. What should I get?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronsupreme, Mar 17, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    There are a few things I'm interested in that would each eat up the whole amount; masterpiece megatron and mp3 soundwave. I'm leaning towards soundwave but I'd like some more options just in case I'm blanking out on something that I really aught to get instead. Preferably these would be figures that I could find at one or two stores online to reduce shipping charges and distribution of my credit card info. Other figures (or TF related swag) that I'm interested in are:
    Titanium Ultra Magnus
    The TF club UM and Cliffjumper upgrade kits
    encore optimus prime
    encore swoop (if this even exists yet)
    The botcon classic seekers (I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to get any of these for $100 or less)
    encore shockwave (again, does this even exist?)
    Alternators Shockblast
    Alternators Hound

That's just off the top of my head, I'm also open to suggestions of figures that are awesome and cost less than $100.
    Thanks!

2. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you have any of the movi figures yet? well if you don't, i'd recommend Leader class OP & Deluxe Bumblebee.

The mp3 Soundwave would be nice too.

3. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    It really all depends on what you have and what you like. For my part, I'd go nuts on Animated toys, or maybe I'd pick up a nice G1 gestalt. However I'd recommend you avoid Titanium Ultra Magnus. This review should tell you why. Get Rodimus Prime instead; he's arguably the best of the line.

4. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Encore Prime is a must for anyone who hasn't got a G1 Prime. If you don't have him get the Encore Prime, I got him as replacment for my old beatup G1 Prime last week off ebay, cost me only $40, mint, seal.

And don't be fooled by people saying they have reissue G1 Swoops, they are KO's, there are no reissue Dinobots.

5. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I suppose I could just hold off and get the large majority of the animated line. That's something I'll put at the top of my list. I actually have all of the movie line so that's really off the table. The only one I don't really have is UBB and I'm not that keen on getting that one.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It really depends on what you're really after. Do you want a lot of toys or one toy? You could probably get a big chunk of the animated figs for 100, or you could get one kick ass G1 figure. Or wait until Encore Omega Supreme comes out.

7. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

The Titanium Ultra Magnus is pretty weak (in vehicle mode in particular; the robot mode isn't too bad), however I think he compliments Rodimus Prime pretty nicely. (And the UM in the video review is slightly mistransformed; you're supposed to push the 'thighs' all the way down to his 'feet' in truck mode)

Most of the stuff you listed you can pretty much forget about at $100 budget. Botcon classic seekers cost individually now more than the whole box set did originally, the Cliffjumper upgrade kit has skyrocketed in price and there are no reissues of Shockwave and Swoop.

That leaves you with Encore Optimus Prime, which I'd say is a pretty much a must have if you don't own a G1 Prime yet. I could recommend Encore Sky Lynx but I'm just biased :D 

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I'd LIKE to get multiple figures for my 100 bucks, but convincing my source to buy a cart-full of transformers is quite a bit less likely than convicing him to buy one nice imported one. My "source" is a friend of mine who wants to repay me for helping him run errands and stuff last summer when he didn't have a car. Although he understands the transformer hype and stuff I'm not sure I could convince him to walk into a wal-mart with me and get 5-10 individual transformers.

9. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    What about those alternators? What do they usually go for? and how would I track down an Ultra Magnus upgrade kit?

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

No they haven't made an Encore Shockwave yet (God I wish they would!!). Yeah the Classic seekers you aren't going to get them that cheap unfortunately. I really like the Alternators so maybe those would be good.

Here is what I would get (though these are just my ideas of course)
    Encore line figures (specifically Prime or Megatron)
    MP Starscream or Skywarp
    MP3 Soundwave (he is AMAZING)
    Omega Supreme (Encore) probably a little more than $100 with shipping but so worth it
    Any Classic figures you don't have. Maybe focus on the Japanese versions since those are new and if you like the paint schemes
    25th Anniversary G. I. Joe Figures (yeah I know not Transformers but they are really awesome figures and I had to throw that on there :)  )

Hope that helps at all and congrats.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would try to get the most bang for your buck. MP3 Soundwave is cool, but he is not $100 cool. If you like Soundwave I'd suggest picking up the TRU reissue or Encore one if you don't already have him. Alt Hound is cool and you can get him for pretty cheap too. I'm with rizuan76 and say pick up a leader Prime and 08 Bumblebee also if you can.

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Encore Prime is so nice. Plus ALT Shockblast still leave you with some change I reckon?

13. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    encore prime runs between 50 (not including shipping from japan) to 80 and shockblast runs 50-60 so there's little chance that I'll be able to get them both for that price. Maybe I'll get encore prime and some animated figures...

14. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    oh, I guess I forgot to mention that I have all of the US released classics figures already. The only other ones I'm interested in are the botcons seeker molds. Although unlikely, I think it's possible that the japanese market will get them in standard release, which would warrant my purchase, but until then I'm pretty sure I'm finished with classics.

15. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Off the bat, I'd say get BWII Starscream and BB and CR Black Convoy. That'll cost ya around 65-70 dollars. Add another 20 and you can get CR JRX. That's what I would have done.

And liqdeal on ebay has JRX and Black Convoy. He also has BWII Starscream and BB as well.

16. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    If you gon't already have them, buy BWII Thrust and Dirge. I would also reccomend Nightwatch Prime.

17. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    If I were you, I'd get either Encore Prime or Soundwave. I got Encore Prime about a month ago - he's a beautiful figure. Can't go wrong with him.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Unless you know a guy. I'm in the process of paying $30 a piece for Shockblast and Silverstreak. :D