I've been wondering about size classes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I think we can all agree that Transformers have always been freakin expensive, so the various classes make perfect sense. But I'm curious lately what role Hasbro expects them to play in a yearly family budget.

It's obvious that Legends are intended to be a cheap entry level way of having a collection and the top characters, or for the kid who might not be convincingly dedicated enough to play with the more expensive stuff after a week.

So I'm wondering then, are scouts and deluxes supposed to tide a kid over until Christmas? And where exactly do voyagers fit? I sort of have a theory that anything in boxes are more for birthday/Christmas/special occasion/allowance saved up, whereas anything carded is more for impulse. But that's just a gut feeling.

I'd appreciate some thoughts, particularly from parents.

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

My thoughts are,it depends on how much you can afford.To some people,a $20 Voyager is a lot of money,but for other people it's no big deal.I think the Scouts and Deluxes are obviously more kid-budgeted,while the Voyagers are in between,and the Leaders are more for the collectors.Just my opinion as a parent.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I think they're all "kid budgeted."

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    leaders i feel are the birthday/christmas gift same with the ones that are bigger than that. deluxes , scouts, legends, and voyagers to some extent, (for prime and megs etc) are more budget conscious

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think some of it based on frequency. Like if you tell your kid they can get one thing when you take them shopping, then it'll probably a low-price item since it'll happen a lot. So then, Legend/Scout/Deluxe. If you buy them stuff less often then a Voyager wouldn't be as big a deal.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I tend to get Leader Class Figures as gift for birthday's or christmas's I usually buy scouts, deluxe and the occanisial Voyager Class figures at different times. Only time i ever got Leader Class that wasn't for birthday and christmas was ROTF Leader Megatron, but that was gift from Grandma she found it on vacation last year. :D 

7. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    The legends/ socut figs are prob meant for those times when a parent wants to treat their kid. Plus they are cheap enough that a kid can get one with their pocket money/ allowance.

Voyager, ultra and leader class are the birthday/ christmas toys.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    If my kids are good for the week, they can get ten dollars. If not, they get zilch. Their Grandma usually spoils them for B-Day's and Holidays.

However this weekend at a TRU I was looking at tf's and a kid was there with his mom looking for transformers for him. They were looking at Leader Starscream til they she noticed the price, but they did walk away with a PCC 5-pack.

9. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly transformers are at the lower end of my collection. if you ever collect chogokin and godaikin, your wallet will shrink much faster than just buying transformers.

I buy transformers for my brother, who is 13 years younger than me, all the time. Normally he will get about 3-4 leader/ultra class plus 5-10 voyagers every year.