I've been thinkin'...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, Dec 27, 2010.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    We all are pretty disappointed with the new Optimus figures. Complaining that giant steps backward from the recent movie. Well... I just remembered something.
    Aren't the movie designs for O.Prime slightly changed? If so... the toys might have had to be completely redone to accomodate for it. And that would explain the grotesque differences...

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

What the heck are you talking about? The Movie TF toys have nothing to do with the TF Prime toys or designs. I don't understand what on earth you mean by "slightly changed" in relation to the Prime designs. The toys aren't going to be 100% accurate to the source material, even Animated with it's near flawless execution in that respect couldn't do it perfectly.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    ... I'm not talking about the Prime tv show, I'm talking about Prime the character. XD

4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    OP never mentions TF Prime.

5. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    It was stated that his and Bumblebee's models would be altered slightly to look more heroic

How that accounts for the fake chest block I'm not sure

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    It doesn't. I'm pretty sure what they meant was some changes to the rigging model and the way some part move to get better poses out of the characters.

Just look at TF1 and then ROTF, and you will (hopefully) notice the leap in animation - the TF1 characters are stiffer in their 'acting'. I believe by changing the way their models work would allow for more dynamic and fluid poses.

The fact his chest looks different probably has to do with whatever upgrade he will have/get in the movie. And the reason the toy looks closer to TF1 voyager Prime in complexity and accuracy could be because of multiple reasons..I'm just guessing but:

1. The designers might have been pushing for accuracy over playability too much. As cool as the toys for ROTF are (I love most of them), they're pretty intricate for kids to transform. Some of the movie toys are really frustrating to transform, so they might have decided to take the accuracy back a notch to give customers toys that are more kid-friendly.

2. They have determined movie toys will sell well anyway and have put their best designers on other projects (like TF Prime toys), while less experienced designers handle the movie toys.

3. It always happens that there are a couple of less good toys in a line. It all depends on what designer got to do which toy. It's possible the voyager Prime we've seen is just one of the less good ones and the other ones will be awesome.

7. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about this too. Obviously, the new silvery bits in his stomach area might be part of the redesign. The cannons on the shoulders is just part of the toyline new mechtech gimmick, but even if they were aiming to make the toy more accessible to children by means of simplification, I still can't forgive the front wheels being on his arms.