ITunes vs. CD

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, the new MUSE album comes out next week and I'm faced with a choice. Itunes provides the new LP feature that sells the album with a crapload of features not available anywhere else, but I have never known the facts about Itunes music quality. How does it compare to CD?

2. Cheez Doodle23

Cheez Doodle23 Plastic Crack Club Member

News Credits:
    I have a 30GB iPod video and use it to play my music for everything home/in-car and the sound quality is great. I haven't had any issues with the sound quality from purchased music. I just make sure I backup all my music especially my iTunes purchases to an external HD. I don't notice any difference between CD and iTunes when it comes to quality.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool thanks. I guess I may buy the digital album. Especially now that you can listen to the music outside of just your Iphone. The extras seem worth the price.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Itunes has just as good as quality as a CD. And it is usually either cheaper than the actual CD or comes with a bunch more stuff, in you case.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If you get it in the iTunes lossless format, sure, but I don't know anyone who does that. There will always be some quality degradation with the usual iTunes AAC format, just like any other "lossy" compression method. The question is whether you are able to notice any difference. The answer to that is going to depend on the listener, as well as on the equipment he's using. If the listener can't tell the difference, then there's no reason for him not to go with iTunes and AAC, but that doesn't mean it's identical to the recording quality of the CD.

Most people don't really notice the difference though. I'm unlucky enough to be one of the few.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yea, but is he going to burn it to a CD or listen to it on jis iPod/iPhone?

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wouldn't matter if the source is lossy to begin with. Anything he does with the itunes file can only be as high-quality as whatever itunes has to offer.

I always go with CDs so I can rip music to my own preferences, and to keep a hardcopy without having to rely on Apple's service.

If itunes has exactly what Prowl wants, and if he can't hear the difference between 192 kbps and say, 320 kbps or lossless, and if he's comfortable with itune's service, then I see no reason why he shouldn't go with itunes.