iTunes Match

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DeathStorm, Nov 22, 2011.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I didn't see another thread for this but if one exists please feel free to merge.

I'm just wondering if anyone has purchased the itunes Match service and what, if any, problems you've had with it.

I purchased it four days ago - it annihilated my itune library and iphone. I have duplicate songs, itunes crashes, it deleted a playlist because it contains ringtones (among thousands of songs), and I'm now missing album artwork on my phone and in itunes. From what I've seen on the Apple forums, others are also having tons of problems with it.

I'm getting a refund from Apple but it's going to take days to get my library back in order. I have over 12,000 songs and from what I've seen this service works best if you have a few thousand songs at most. For three days Match was repeatedly analyzing my library, uploading songs and matching them, and trying to get album artwork. As soon as it was done it would start all over again.

On top of that, I wasn't able to download about half of the songs on my iphone. I tried and it always gave an error that the song wasn't available (if that's the case why did it offer the song for download!). There's also a lot of inconsistency. Entire albums would upload successfully except for one song, in the middle of the album - why? I don't have any illegal music, everything is coming from CD. And some songs weren't even matched, despite being in the itunes store. Zero Beatles matches, zero Alice In Chains, zero Led Zeppelin.

It's got potential to be a solid product once the glitches are worked out but I have to wonder why Apple thought this was ready for the public when it clearly is not.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, no other thread, but I was talking to TJ about it in his recent iTunes thread.

I've actually had a great experience with it. It's been working pretty solid. It took my music and matched it. Like I was telling TJ, I had some old Maiden albums that it matched and I deleted them from my library and redownloaded them and they are all in better quality than before, since it allowed me to download the itunes versions.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I know some people are doing that to get the better versions. At least with some albums a straight match should work. But if you have an extended version of a song itunes will always pick the radio edit it has in the store. That's just not a good way of matching. It should be based on the album and artist, not just the song title. On top of that I have a lot of live music so I have duplicate titles and artists. You should be able to opt songs out of the matching process as it causes errors.

I think the problem lies with those having a larger library versus a smaller one. Mine ran solid for four days and was re-matching and trying to get album art the entire time. It would complete then just start over again. My phone is now messed up and thinks I still have music on it when, in actuality, I deleted everything so I could manage the music myself. I'm going to have to do a restore on it to get the music library emptied. Then I'm going to have to get my itunes library fixed, which will take a few days I'm sure. All in all, Match caused a big headache for me.

The way I'd like it to work is that it matches my library to the itunes store. If a song doesn't exist in the store then I keep it on my iphone. Everything else in my library is available on the phone but as a download. That way I have what their store doesn't and I can still download whatever I feel like listening to. My guess is that's what others want as well.

I talked to Apple today and I'm getting a refund. I think it has potential to be a good product but it's just not ready for the masses yet.