It's up to Bay now to save Paramount from going bakrupt.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Box office revenue =/= actual profit. Not to mention these films are cost about $200+ million each in budget and it's been over two years since that film was released.

Unfortunately Paramount doesn't seem to have any real heavy hitters lined up anytime soon beyond possibly the next Jack Reacher film. I mean, they're making another The Ring film. The last one was ten years ago, was generally regarded as crappy, and had a budget of $50 million to ultimately a $161 million final box office performance internationally. This new one? According to Wikipedia, this time the budget is $33 million - less than the original American The Ring, which was not exactly a special effects extravaganza in 2002 but still cost $48 mill.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Maybe Hollywood should start writing better movies.

3. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

You know what is actually going to save Paramount, movies like Deadpool. I don't mean R rated superhero movies I mean good movies that were done on a modest budget. Deadpool was not only successful, it was highly profitable. For just 55 million dollars (maybe add fifty to a hundred more for marketing), they made a good movie that people went to see multiple times and is doing really well on home release. Because the budget was lower, it technically made more money for Paramount than Batman v. Superman did for WB even though that movie made 100 million dollars more. I used to think Spielberg was crazy when he said that mid-budget films would disappear and that many studios would collapse from having to take losses on all these films with enormous budgets with exceptions like Star Wars movies and Marvel movies. He also said that streaming services and TV have increased their production value so much that people would stop going to see mindless garbage like the new Independence Day in favor of something more like Stranger Things. I'm starting to think he was right. I think more modestly budgeted movies is going to help Paramount avoid collapsing. Obviously, Transformers is an exception because it needs a huge budget, and it will do fairly well at the box office even if it doesn't make as much as the others, but Transformers alone will not help them.

4. Dillatron

Dillatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My heart really goes out to all the millionaires that run the company, it must be a hard time for them right now.

5. Tribalelements

Tribalelements Targetmaster

Ebay:
    For what it was Ant-man was a surprisingly good movie, jis character is what saved Capt America Civil War, cause that movie was falling apart towards the end.

Not making this a DC/Marvel thing but Antman did more for movies than Batman vs Superman did.

6. Tribalelements

Ebay:
    In the end though, Deadpool was a Comic book movie, not to mention Deadpool is seriously popular, i watched it at the $1 theater 1 month before they released it on dvd, and the theater was still semi packed.

Paramount doesnt have great line ups, they are better of buying the rightts to indie films and pushing those out. Probably better that way. If anything hiest movies are always great!

7. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Before the movie, outside of marginal comic book sales, Deadpool was FAR from a household name that could REALLY put asses in seats for a movie.

But the comic-geeks were teased FOREVER and ready to blow, so they showed up for the opening weekend. EXTREMELY positive word of mouth ensued, but a VAST number of paying customers were there, as well as a vast number of love-story-susceptible customers, because it was basically marketed as a Valentine's Day, ironic date movie yet HOLY-SHIT-IT'S-A-COMIC-BOOK-MOVIE-THAT-LOOKS-FUN-AND-LOVEY-DOVEY-IN-A-WEIRD-WAY-SO-I'LL-MEET-THIS-COMIC-******-HALFWAY-AND-OMFG-IT'S-AWESOME!!!

Those non-comicgeeks would've NEVER gone to see it that weekend or spoken so highly of it if they had otherwise. That basically DOUBLED its revenue AT LEAST. Not to mention the NON-Deadpool comic fans who came out of the woodwork afterward.

So my point is that MARKETING IS IMPORTANT.

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

People tend to act like whatever they liked as a movie is somehow tainted if you give the marketing department credit for packing the seats. That the marketing team getting the word out about a film's release and hyping it into a must see event has nothing at all to do with what sort of box office run a film have, especially that important opening weekend.

But a movie can be really good like Kubo and the Two Strings and not have a monster opening because the marketing budget was so low they really couldn't get the word out enough or build up enough buzz for more screens.

Kind of a shame marketing doesn't get credit because films like Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, and Suicide Squad all pulled off some brilliant marketing. I expect that the next Transformers movie will also pull off some great marketing as well.

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paramount can't or shouldn't rely just on 1 movie it has to rely on multiple movies to bring enough revenue just to brake even.

If Paramount does rely on 1 movie, their in very big trouble

11. Tribalelements

Ebay:
    For someone who grew up collecting comics i would of never thought too much of deadpool, because in the 90s if u looked like a ninja ur character had been done 100 times over and i would thought deadpool would of been washed out like most gimmicky characters that was introduced during that era, especially with the influx of image comics which was widely popular then.

If i never took a step in a comic store i would agree with you. But having the 1st appearance of deadpool a comic i bought off the newstand for $1 all of sudden be worth around $400 now. I would say deadpool grew some clout, and is very worthy of putting comic nerds in seats in theaters even before the movie was made. So i would have to disagree with you Sir.

And just to say, who really knew much about the guardians of the galaxy before that movie came out?

Deadpool has a bigger name than them.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    No pity from me on this one. Like many other studios, they have made numerous HORRIBLE decisions - whether it be shitty remakes, shitty sequels, squandered franchise opportunities (Star Trek), etc. - so this reality check is necessary. And if Michael Bay's horrendous insectoid robot movies of all things are what they're relying on to bring in some bank, they deserve every bit of trouble they're in.

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    It already has.

See Times Square, Instagram, Snap chat, etc.

:)

14. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa, and I thought Warner Bros and DC movies got problems

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

At least Warner Brothers has options. A hero not working for Warner Brothers no problem DC has more heroes and villains than a movie studio could ever use. The tone not working they could be dragged kicking and screaming to the fun of DC since the comic books have done it all from the darkest of darkest to laugh yourself silly.

Poor Paramount, just not much shaking in options short of some sort of major shake up at the studio.

16. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Curious question - does Paramount need to get a 'Kevin Fiege' sort of guy to steer the creative direction and vision of the TFCU even though it's been said that Hasbro themselves are 'in charge'? Or maybe that 'Hasbro's in charge' part was publicity?

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd wager Hasbro's direction to Paramount in terms of how they want the film universe to develop is going to be different than the MCU. I would expect that the MCU films are developed from a narrative perspective first, with thoughts of merchandising coming into play later. Transformers, however, might stem at least partly from a merchandising, or at the very least, a place in Hasbro's overall corporate strategy first, which would drive which films get produced and what goes in them. It might be very difficult for a single producer to have that sort of corporate birds-eye view, compared to a team or directorate.

18. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fair do's. Transformers is a very different beast compared to the DC and Marvel superheroes that it's not based off good selling printed illustrated fiction. Though, to be fair, I guess you can say Transformers has 'source material' - its toy commercials, so ...

19. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    I thought Star Trek beyond was pretty damn good. Pity it isn't doing well...

20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    If they make bad movies, they have to live with the consequences. Maybe one day they'll learn it's their bad decisions and not pirates. 80% of all the movies made each year are trash.

Their biggest problem in Hollywood is unnecessary sequels, remakes and making everything a franchise. And no one building really cool stars. And political correctness. The downfall of modern entertainment.