It's that time of year again...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I spent a good 45 minutes in the basement last night with my wife, kids, and pets riding out one hell of a storm.

When the wind started picking up I opened the front door only to have it slam shut on it's own, this got me worried, it meant the air pressure out side was incredibly low, and right about that time the tornado sirens started going off for the second time this year.

The first time was back in January when a funnel cloud passed right over my neighborhood.

So, we all are hiding out in the basement and it sounds like all hell is breaking loose outside, crashes, bangs, rumbling, and the sound of trees snapping. At one point there was an incredibly loud cash, and then the power went out.

About that time, another siren started going off, the one that I call the "stay the FUCK in your basement" siren it sounds like a very long "toooooooooot" and is very ominous.

Then I heard someone talking on a megaphone exclaiming, "GET INSIDE YOUR HOME".

It was all over just a few moments later, the wind stopped, the sirens stopped, and the only sounds were the rumble of thunder and what sounded like large trucks outside of the house.

We made our way out of the basement and when I walked out onto my porch, I saw this:

[​IMG]

It's hard to tell what's going on here, but after hearing the police and ambulance drivers talking, I figured out that a large tree had fallen and took some power-lines that stretched across the street with it, the problem was the lines were still attached to the polls on one side of the street, and on the ground on the other.

A city bus drove into the power-lines, the huge crash I heard in the basement was the bus hitting the power-lines, and that's when the electricity went out.

Luckily, no one was hurt, and the power company showed up within half an hour and had the power back on before midnight.

I was watching the news this morning and they said there was 100mph winds last night, just down the road they said a building was destroyed, and the roof was blown off of an air national guard building just a few miles away.

Here are a few pics from my neighborhood I took from my front yard this morning:

[​IMG]

That's the tree that took out the power lines across the street:

[​IMG]

The street sign that used to be on the corner (the tree in that pic is MUCH bigger than it looks, the side of that person's yard in a hill you are looking at the bottom of a very large pine tree):

[​IMG]

[EDIT] Here is a better look at the tree, I couldn't get the whole thing in the photo, it looks almost like it snapped in two places:

[​IMG]

2. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

My goodness. At least you and your family is OK. Any extensive property damage for you?

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I just put a new roof on my laundry room last year, after the storm was over I noticed it was leaking again, but otherwise no...

4. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

That was a nasty storm alright. I live in Alabama and we got some bad wind and rain, some lightning strikes and such. It woke me out of a dead sleep.

I heard on th news this mourning that 19 people all together across a couple states were killed. Idaho, Missouri, and Louisiana were the places where the deaths occured I think.

5. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

Idaho? Damn either that was a real big fast moving storm, or there were several.

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Sucks to be living in a tornado prone area. I hope everything's ok.

7. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I am glad stuff does not happen that often here. Though anytime it happens it is too often.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

A tornado dropped a tree on my house back in 1990, when I was 12. Only thing that stood between the tree and my head was a wall. Wish I could find the pictures, I'd scan them in and post them.

9. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I wish we could just shoot a missile at a Tornado and blow it up.

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Goddam... I know it was creepy up here, but I'd forgotten about how much worse it was down south.

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Glad to hear you're ok. That looks like my neighborhood after Dennis and Ivan.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Our weather up in the Evansville/Newburgh Indiana wasn't nearly that bad. Some good strong winds but not like the chaos you describe...

13. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Can you imagin being a Native American when America was first around looking at a Tornado. That must be the biggest 'wtf mate' moment ever.

14. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know how it feels to be in big storms, we get them all the time in Wisconsin, both big snow, and thunder stuff. Thats why I moved almost all of my valuable stuff into the basement, along with my bedroom, so then I dont have to wake up if the sirens go off, which they do about 3 or 4 times a year.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa, thank God you and your family are safe! ;) 

16. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

That "No Outlet" sign has more meaning now than ever.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

Man, it wasn't anywhere near as bad up here; even the wind and the lightning seemed rather tame. Sorry to hear you guys got stuck with the rough stuff.

18. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

Or I may be mistaked on it.

Today they pushed the death toll to 25.

19. OGoldwings

OGoldwings The Lost Little Autobot

I saw the line of storms on the dopplar radar the other night. It was nothing but a line of red sweeping the states. I also heard you had winds near 160 mph. When you think of it, that is near what....cat 5 hurricane force winds? Correct me if I am wrong on that, I can't remember for sure what the wind levels are for them anymore.

Glad to hear your family is safe and sound.

20. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Shit.

My sister lives like down the road from you. Hope she's okay too!